Thread: Was the great Zimbabwe created by the Cushitic 'race' or Niger-Congos?

Was the great Zimbabwe created by the Cushitic 'race' or Niger-Congos?

I've be wondering since it had been discovered that there were anceint Cushitic speakers in Southeastern Africa being genetically almost identical to modren Cushitic/Ethopic speakers of Ethiopia, unlike modern South "Cushitic" speakers. The great Zimbawan culture is different from that of it's surroundings Niger-Congos, it it was created by niger-congos.

What do you think?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    mtDNA (M)
    L3i2

Somalia
    Cushitic peoples were not the creators of that culture.

No Cushitic speaking groups lived that far south at that time period.

There exists no credible evidence nor any credible historian has ever made a connection between Cushitic peoples and the great zimbabwe civilisation.

I'm a little confused as to why you even consider there to be even the faintest possibility that a Cushitic peoples were the creators of the civilization when its culture is completely different to any current or historic Cushitic speaking population.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sum1 For This Useful Post:

BlessedbyHorus (11-14-2019),  Brandon S. Pilcher (11-05-2019),  drobbah (11-03-2019),  mrstealyobitch (06-14-2020),  pgbk87 (11-10-2019),  rivergirl (11-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by sum1 View Post
    Cushitic peoples were not the creators of that culture.

No Cushitic speaking groups lived that far south at that time period.

There exists no credible evidence nor any credible historian has ever made a connection between Cushitic peoples and the great zimbabwe civilisation.

I'm a little confused as to why you even consider there to be even the faintest possibility that a Cushitic peoples were the creators of the civilization when its culture is completely different to any current or historic Cushitic speaking population.
    Cushitic use to live South as southern Tanzania along with Khoisans, it's plausible, it also explain why people say that Khoisan have minor "eUrAsIaN" ancestry, which is just a Cushitic ancestry more then anything, they absorbed from where they use lived in Southeastern Africa.

Anient Cushitcs in Kenya and Tanzania are way more "Cushitic" genetically than modren South "cushitics" like Iraqw who have a lot of non-Cushitic ancestry

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Somaliland Ethiopia Adal Sultanate Yemen Canada
    There isn't any evidence to support cushitic speakers or significantly cushitic admixed people being behind the Zimbabwe civilization and the city states of South East Africa.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

BlessedbyHorus (11-14-2019),  Muslim-Arbegna (11-03-2019),  pgbk87 (11-10-2019),  sum1 (11-03-2019),  SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 (11-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    There isn't any evidence to support cushitic speakers or significantly cushitic admixed people being behind the Zimbabwe civilization and the city states of South East Africa.
    Ok, thank you. I was just curious, because the culture of great Zimbabwe is completely different from the surrounding Niger-Congos, it was out of the ordinary But it wasn't Cushitic.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali

Somalia
    i think the lemba (bantu group) might've been behind great zimbabwe, if not them then another bantu group

9. The Following User Says Thank You to afbarwaaqo For This Useful Post:

NetNomad (11-04-2019)

The general consensus is that the broader culture, of which great Zimbabwe is an example, is a result of early Shona peoples. The culture, called Zimbabwe culture had several phases and spanned roughly a thousand years with evolution and diversification of styles visible in the ruins as the building techniques became increasingly sophisticated. Great Zimbabwe is the largest and most well known, but there are over a hundred ruins in Botswana, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique belonging to the Zimbabwe culture. The distribution of the ruins is in areas which Shona peoples still live or are known to have lived in the historical period. Itís a tight fit, so it makes sense. People were still building and living in such structures in the 19th century. The culture ended with the Mfecane due to disruptions from the Ngoni and Matabele invasions on the Zimbabwe plateau. Shona peopleís are not Cushitic. I think like similar peoples from Mozambique, they are about as Bantu as you can get. However, I have yet to see a genetic study of them.

Below is a link to another ruin belonging to the same culture but of a later date.

https://www.hubbardstours.com/index....anja-and-bila/
    Last edited by Brwn_trd; 11-06-2019 at 12:26 AM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brwn_trd For This Useful Post:

Brandon S. Pilcher (11-15-2019),  Megalophias (11-14-2019),  pgbk87 (11-10-2019),  rivergirl (11-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

I had this same debate on another site. What is up with people trying to explain away the Bantu origins of Great Zimbabwe(and the Swahili Coasts) when archaeology, cultural customs and anthropology points to a Bantu origins.

Edit:
    No actually the Great Zimbabwe structure is NOT "different" from surrounding Bantu neighbors. If the OP actually researched this part of Africa he'd know similar structures can actually be found in parts of Mozambique, Zambia and even Botswana. The type of stone structure used to build Great Zimbabwe is not only local but is constructed a CERTAIN type of way that is not found among Cushites.
    Last edited by BlessedbyHorus; 11-14-2019 at 03:07 AM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlessedbyHorus For This Useful Post:

Brandon S. Pilcher (11-15-2019),  pgbk87 (11-14-2019),  rivergirl (11-15-2019),  sum1 (11-15-2019)