Thread: Egyptian Jewish kits?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Egyptian Jewish kits?

They seem to be quite rare, I'd appreciate if someone could share a kit # with us.

Registered Users
    Sex

Same, but I believe Egyptian Jews are a mix of Jews from all over to an extent. I know that some Ashkenazim went to Egypt, and I'm not sure as to whether or not they mixed with the other Jews there.

Registered Users
    Sex

Not that rare. My grandfather was born in alexandria. Egyptian Jews like Turkish Jews can be just about any kind of Jew. Many with origins from alexandria are sephardic and likely also have origins elsewhere throughout the old ottoman world. Cairo had more of a community of perhaps more 'indigenous' Jews if you like, especially once a sizeable karaite community. While they certainly genetically differ from all sephardic Jews I wouldn't be surprised if the two we have seen on this forum so far have considerable Eastern mizrahi/oriental Jewish origins or possibly even shared origins with other karaite old communities around the black sea region too.

I'm pretty sure a forum member erick here has the gedmatch ids of the two karaite Jews. Would you like to see using eurogenes G25 how they differ from Eastern Sephardic Jews?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seabass For This Useful Post:

jonahst (12-11-2019),  passenger (01-01-2020),  StillWater (12-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M5021
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

My Aleppan(Hhalabi) Israeli brother in law has many Egyptian Israelis married into his family including Arabic speaking Ashkenazim. In many cases Turkish authorities deported Ashkenazim of Russian nationality to Egypt at the start of World War I.However there were already Ashkenazi families well established in Cairo and Alexandria before this. As the previous poster correctly noted, (see Lawrence Durrell’s “The Alexandria Quartet”), modern Egyptian Jewry was a mix of Sefaradi, Ashkenazi, Moroccan Sefaradi, Adenite, Greek Sefaradi, Romaniote, Italqi etc.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Targum For This Useful Post:

coffeeprince (12-12-2019),  digital_noise (12-12-2019),  JMcB (01-08-2020),  jonahst (12-11-2019),  passenger (01-01-2020),  StillWater (12-12-2019)

I found a guy on Reddit that’s half Egyptian Jewish. I can DM him and ask if it’s okay to share his kit on here.

I have Italian Jewish heritage, and some of them actually went to Alexandria, so me and the Egyptian Jew have many in-common matches. When you’re a Sephardic Jew with no Ashkenazi admixture, and especially if you’re mixed with west European, the majority of your match list will be Gentile names. This is true even for half Sephardic, half west Europeans.

When I do genealogical research, I make sure to mark down Sephardic kits I find so I can compare them and also see which kits we both match.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chocoholic For This Useful Post:

Targum (12-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Egyptian Copt
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-L539 (E-M78)

Egypt
    In general Genetic studies ; It is possible to find the whole autosomal ,Y-DNA and MT-DNA of all kind of Jews in EXCEPTION OF Egyptian jews !

The only study which mentions them is an old Luctotte study (and they mix them with other oriental Jews ; so no data can be obtained from there sadly)

it will be interesting to have an idea about thier genomic formation .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Saite For This Useful Post:

Targum (01-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    There's probably a lot of Israeli kits out there with Egyptian ancestry- most Egyptian Jews migrated there post-1948.

But as for "pure" Egyptian Jews (Karaites? Sephardim?) they're rarer than hens' teeth on GEDmatch.
    Target: mildlycurly_scaled
    Distance: 1.3578% / 0.01357814
    57.0 Irish
    37.6 English
    2.6 Roma_Barcelona
    1.8 Ashkenazi_Germany
    1.0 Roma_Granada

I make music. Listen to it here: Hidden Content or here: Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlycurly For This Useful Post:

StillWater (01-08-2020)