Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High African-Arab component normal in Southwestern Europe?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N. Italian, Portuguese
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil Italy Veneto Portugal Italy

High African-Arab component normal in Southwestern Europe?

Hello, everyone.

I'd like to request your take on my results. Please bear with my questions and possible "noobishnes", as I'm still a beginner in genetics. As most people, I've started learning about it because of genealogy, so my approach tends to be more traditional/modern migrations rather than biological/ancient peoples.

A little bit of my paper trail background: as a good Northern Paulista (Brazilian Southeast), I descend mostly from Sourthern Europeans: 8 of my great-grandparents were Italian (50%; 7 from Northern Italy, mostly Veneto, and 1 from Campania), 4 were Portuguese (25%), 2 were "Brazilian" (a mix of Portuguese and Natives; 12,5%), and 2 are still unknown - I'm just now beginning to uncover their roots.

I've only tested with FTDNA so far, and also used the raw data on MyHeritage and GEDmatch - I was willing to test it on EthnoGene and DNA.Land, too, but they seem to be having problemas. I'm also going to test with other companies in the near future, but please consider these current results.

FTDNA:

FTDNA.PNG

MyHeritage:

MyHeritage.PNG

Eurogenes K13:

Eurogenes K13.PNG

Eurogenes K15:

Eurogenes K15.PNG

FTDNA was a bit off the mark with my European map, because it completely ignored my Iberian background, but the others seem okay. My big question, though, is regarding the non-European admixture.

When I first got the results, I didn't think much of it, because I was expecting some Levantine/North African percentage due to the Moorish presence in Portugal. But I've noticed here and there in the forums that Portuguese people seem to get a much lower portion from these regions (- I've seen 4 ou 5% being mentioned).

Now, being pretty admixed, and also because of the way we inherit chromosomes, I know my results will oscilate when I compare my results with 100% Europeans', but I still think 12-15% African-Arab DNA coming only from the Portuguese side is still pretty high. Do you think this could mean a more recent Muslim ancestry? I mean, I still have that one side of my family to explore, even though their family names are common Brazilian/Portuguese ones.

Also, what do you think of the Amerind component? I could only find Natives 6 or 7 generations back, so I'm starting to think that is high, too, and I'm probably missing something - maybe on the same mysterious branch.

I'm leaving my results from K15 in comparison to Northern Italian and Portuguese from the spreadsheet for further and more accessible comparison:

K15Spreadsheet.PNG
    Last edited by tatals; 11-08-2019 at 05:13 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    This is not my area of expertise but I think off the top of my head that it is not unusual for someone of your background. Wait for someone who knows more about this.. maybe Sikeliot or Ruderico?? to verify.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, Eastern German 12.5%, Eastern European (Likely Polish possibly including Romanian) 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American (Saulteaux and Assiniboine) 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty. With certainty, there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

tatals (11-08-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

There is no such thing as "African Arab". The North African that is scored by Iberians (and some other Southern Europeans) is Berber-related and expected for a Brazilian.

The West African is most likely from slave descent since you are a New worlder, and you're scoring some Native American.
    Paternal Y-DNA haplogroup: E-M35>E-Z827>L19>M81>M183
    Maternal [grandfather] Y-DNA: E-M35>E-Z827>L19>M81>M183>PF2477>PF2546
    Hidden Content

Lactase Persistence (LP)
    13910: TT (rs4988235 AA)
    22018: AA (rs182549 TT)

(my mother's LP: same results)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignis90 For This Useful Post:

tatals (11-08-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Berber
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M81
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

Morocco
    What is your paternal haplogroup?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Adamm For This Useful Post:

tatals (11-08-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N. Italian, Portuguese
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis90 View Post
    There is no such thing as "African Arab".
    Yes, I know. I used 'African-Arab' because of the first two results: FTDNA put me exclusively in the Levant, while MH transfered almost all of that amount to Africa. So I guessed they were talking about the same part of my DNA, but each of them "interpreted" it in a different way. Also because I would have no other good explanation for the Arab portion.

The North African that is scored by Iberians (and some other Southern Europeans) is Berber-related and expected for a Brazilian.
    I expected that, and I was surprised when FTDNA transfered it to Asia. Also, later the amount seemed to high to be just regular Moorish heritage.

The West African is most likely from slave descent since you are a New worlder, and you're scoring some Native American.
    That is one of my questions, as well. I only know of my native ancestry, but I guess it's totally possible that I find some Africans in my tree, if I go further in time.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N. Italian, Portuguese
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Quote Originally Posted by Adamm View Post
    What is your paternal haplogroup?
    I don't know yet. I've asked my brother to take the test for me. But my father's background is almost exclusively Northern Italian, so I guess it will be something typical in that region.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Andaluz+jews traces
    Nationality
    Spanish

Andalucia Spain Spanish Empire (1506-1701) Star of David
    Sometimes companies, due to their different algorithms, overlap between some relatively "close" categories. FTDNA put your MENA in the Levantine category, while My Heritage did in the North African category.

Your amount of East Med and Red Sea is normal given your Portuguese and Italian ancestry, even more in line with the Portuguese average.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rober_tce For This Useful Post:

Ruderico (11-08-2019),  tatals (11-08-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Rio de Janeiro Colonial
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1 FGC6064+ M365+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1ao1

Suebi Kingdom Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ Brazilian Empire Brazil
    Your Brazilian and Colonial ancestry can explain the Amerindian and SSA composition. They are normal for Brazilians and probably your 4 g-great-grandparents had the typical Brazilian admixture. If you had hundreds of Colonial Brazilians in your genealogy, they had the typical mainstream Portuguese, Eastern South American Amerindian and Sub-Saharan African components. Let's remember Brazil had the population of one million in 1700's and they have grown and admixed to 200 million in 2000, so they could preserve and expand the ancient admixtures. Depending on the social class they would have more Portuguese, Amerindian or SS African in their Colonial Brazilian admixtures.
    J1 FGC5987 to FGC6175 (188 new SNPs)
    MDKAs before Colonial Brazil
    Y-DNA - Milhazes, Barcelos, Minho, Portugal.
    mtDNA - Ilha Terceira, Azores, Portugal

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RCO For This Useful Post:

tatals (11-09-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese highlander
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y31991>Y168273
    mtDNA (M)
    H20

Asturias Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Quote Originally Posted by rober_tce View Post
    Sometimes companies, due to their different algorithms, overlap between some relatively "close" categories. FTDNA put your MENA in the Levantine category, while My Heritage did in the North African category.

Your amount of East Med and Red Sea is normal given your Portuguese and Italian ancestry, even more in line with the Portuguese average.
    I agree with this, also your scores of SSA and NEAfr in K13 and K15 are very regular for West Iberians
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428>Y134097>Y168273 Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1690 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Hidden Content
    Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.5411"
    Ruderico

Hallstatt_Celt,67.6
    Iberia_BA,13.8

North_African,9.4
    Mycenaean,7.4
    Levant_Canaanite_MBA,1.8

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

rober_tce (11-08-2019),  tatals (11-09-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Berber
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M81
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

Morocco
    Quote Originally Posted by tatals View Post
    I don't know yet. I've asked my brother to take the test for me. But my father's background is almost exclusively Northern Italian, so I guess it will be something typical in that region.
    Please upload your raw DNA to this website, they will predict your haplogroup for you:

https://ytree.morleydna.com/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Adamm For This Useful Post:

tatals (11-09-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast