Thread: N-L1026 a Circum-Arctic Expansion?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Karelian/Russian

N-L1026 a Circum-Arctic Expansion?

According to Davidski at Eurogenes
    But I can tell you that Volosovo as the proto-Uralic culture looks like crap from where I'm sitting. There's no Y-hg N there at all.

Don't know about Garino-Bor yet.
    Apparently instead Volosovo will have lots of R1b as well as R1a, Q and I2. If this is true it narrows down the possibilities of N-L1026's expansion by a large margin. Considering CCC samples from Estonia were R1a, I believe we can say the entire Pit-Comb Ware complex west of the Urals will not have any N1c.

IMO that leaves two options, we know the LBA-IA Netted Ware cultures of the mid and upper Volga (D'yakovo and Akozino-Akhmylovo) will likely carry N-L1026 as these areas are closely linked by material culture to the Estonian Tarands. The question is how did it get there if not from Volosovo?

Option 1) (Which I am using Indo-european.eu as a reference for) N-L1026 spreads from the Yenisei or Lena river basins with the Imiyakhtakhskaya culture around 2000BC. It takes an Arctic route west across the Urals and ends up in Fennoscandia 1500BC (Bolshoy Oleni Ostrov). These Arctic peoples then slowly intigrate themselves into the chiefdoms to the south and become the dominant lineage in the Uralic speaking groups.
    A working model for this process in Balto-Finnic is N1c Circum-Arctic- Ananyino- Akozino-Akmylovo- Estonian Tarands. A similer process would have to take place for Ugric and Samoyedic speakers.

Option 2) Garino-Bor and/or Seima-Turbino. I have had a hard time trying to figure out the origin of G-B from an archealogical perspective. It is closely linked to eastern Volosovo and from what I can tell may have a similar origin in the Neolithic Upper-Volga-Kama-Laylovo cultures in which case N1c is not likely to be found at its earliest stage. With that said, it certainly had links to the eastern side of the Urals with the Turbino site having SW-Siberian materials of the Krotov type. In this scenario N-L1026 spreads with the elites of the Seima-Turbino people from West Siberia/Garino-Bor into the Netted-Ware culture (known for being linked with S-T type material). Uralic would then be a sort of lingua-franca of the S-T trade network.

I will add that the jury on the origin of S-T is still out. Recently Parapola has suggested an Abashevo/European origin however the traditional view as well as even more recent carbon datings suggest an origin east of the Urals.
    https://www.academia.edu/34105930/RA...ESTERN_SIBERIA

I would like to hear opinions on whether or not I have missed anything.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AHanken For This Useful Post:

Pribislav (11-11-2019)