Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How did pure South Cushitics gone extinct?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Granary View Post
    Can anyone confirm this? How far does Cushitic admixture go in modern Bantus and Nilotes in East Africa? I know of course that the Hadza, Sandawe, Maasai and Tutsi have some Cushitic admixture, but what about others?
    There is Malawian and Mozambican autosomal data around, not sure about South Tanzanian, but about them, it is an assumption on my part given what Malawi and Mozambique show.

But who knows.. there could be some surprises since South Cushite admixed Khoisans were recently found in Botswana (Ancient DNA).

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by NetNomad View Post
    There is Malawian and Mozambican autosomal data around, not sure about South Tanzanian, but about them, it is an assumption on my part given what Malawi and Mozambique show.

But who knows.. there could be some surprises since South Cushite admixed Khoisans were recently found in Botswana (Ancient DNA).
    Do you know if Malawian and Mozambican have Cushitic ancestry? I imagine not given the little Malawi HG ancestry, but maybe the Cushitic ancestry was brought by Bantus from the North, IDK

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Granary For This Useful Post:

NetNomad (09-25-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Do you know if Malawian and Mozambican have Cushitic ancestry? I imagine not given the little Malawi HG ancestry, but maybe the Cushitic ancestry was brought by Bantus from the North, IDK
    I think this study might answer your questions in regards to the Lake Malawi region:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/697474v1.full

Also, here are some Mozambique G25 data:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....362#post702362

Registered Users
    Sex

I think this study might answer your questions in regards to the Lake Malawi region:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/697474v1.full

Also, here are some Mozambique G25 data:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....362#post702362
    I'll look at the study but the G25 seems to conclusively say there is virtually 0 Cushitic admixture, but there might be Malawi HG ancestry, up to 10-15% in various samples, what do you think? Dinka-like ancestry is at most 6-8% so they retain a lot of their original Bantu ancestry, between 80-100%.

Edit: Whoops I overlooked the fact there were Angolans there, I guess that explains the high West African samples.
    Last edited by Granary; 09-25-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Registered Users
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b
    mtDNA (P)
    L-M357

ZanzibarSultanate
    I'll look at the study but the G25 seems to conclusively say there is virtually 0 Cushitic admixture, but there might be Malawi HG ancestry, up to 10-15% in various samples, what do you think? Dinka-like ancestry is at most 6-8% so they retain a lot of their original Bantu ancestry, between 80-100%.

Edit: Whoops I overlooked the fact there were Angolans there, I guess that explains the high West African samples.
    One of the Makhuwa Mozambicans has definite discernible Cushitic ancestry, as does one Chopi Mozambican individual. You can see Kenya Stone Age is pretty significant throughout, but I'm concerned about what conclusions can be drawn from Ken_LSA and even Dinka when cross comparing Africans due to their positions on the G25 PCA...it could be that LSA compensates for Nilotic+HG ancestral streams on the G25 or however nMonte+G25 deals with this compensation. Even Dinka are barely differentiated from Niger-Congo pops. on there. It seems supervised structure runs like in Tishkoff's original paper might still be the benchmark. Maybe others can shed light on this but after examining the PCAs my confidence in the tool for African cross-comparison is definitely lower than before.

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 18-41-49.png

edit: think its actually southern European ancestry.
    Last edited by ThaYamamoto; 09-25-2020 at 08:00 PM. Reason: not cushitic! mistake

Registered Users
    Sex

Didn’t those Botswana samples have a lot of West African-related ancestry? This makes me think that they were early Bantus who’d absorbed South Cushitic-admixed Khoi pastoralists.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by ThaYamamoto View Post
    One of the Makhuwa Mozambicans has definite discernible Cushitic ancestry, as does one Chopi Mozambican individual. You can see Kenya Stone Age is pretty significant throughout, but I'm concerned about what conclusions can be drawn from Ken_LSA and even Dinka when cross comparing Africans due to their positions on the G25 PCA...it could be that LSA compensates for Nilotic+HG ancestral streams on the G25 or however nMonte+G25 deals with this compensation. Even Dinka are barely differentiated from Niger-Congo pops. on there. It seems supervised structure runs like in Tishkoff's original paper might still be the benchmark. Maybe others can shed light on this but after examining the PCAs my confidence in the tool for African cross-comparison is definitely lower than before.

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 18-41-49.png
    Could you replace the Iraqw with the Somali or Borana Oromos?

The Makua are also found in Tanzania so this particular individual might have recent Tanzanian heritage, which could potentially explain why s/he has Iraqw-related ancestry absent in the other Makua individuals.
    Last edited by gihanga.rwanda; 09-25-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Registered Users
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b
    mtDNA (P)
    L-M357

ZanzibarSultanate
    Quote Originally Posted by gihanga.rwanda View Post

The Makua are also found in Tanzania so this particular individual might have recent Tanzanian heritage, which could potentially explain why s/he has Iraqw-related ancestry absent in the other Makua individuals.
    Sure, that's interesting about the Makua tho I ain't know that. That individual plots weirdly also. Are Borana on the spreadsheet?

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 19-46-41.pngScreenshot from 2020-09-25 19-47-25.pngScreenshot from 2020-09-25 19-48-05.pngScreenshot from 2020-09-25 19-52-59.png

Not too familiar with Nyrandi but the results were interesting. What do you think of including Ken_LSA in these runs purely from a G25 PCA perspective/where they plot? I'm tentative.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY75676
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Somaliland Ethiopia Adal Sultanate Yemen Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by gihanga.rwanda View Post

Target: Mwani:201415
    Distance: 4.4520% / 0.04451992
    73.0 Yoruba
    18.4 KEN_LSA
    6.2 Borana_Oromo
    2.4 Ju_hoan_North

Target: Makhuwa:1002605
    Distance: 6.1600% / 0.06160047
    69.6 Yoruba
    14.8 Borana_Oromo
    12.2 KEN_LSA
    3.4 Ju_hoan_North
    Drobbah_scaled
    Target: Drobbah_scaled
    Distance: 4.2508% / 0.04250752
    52.2 Sudanese
    19.6 Proto-Natufian_(simulated)
    13.6 MAR_Taforalt
    11.0 Yemenite_Al_Bayda
    3.6 ETH_4500BP

Distance: 1.2698% / 0.01269848 | ADC: 0.25x
    31.0 KEN_Pastoral_N
    26.4 KEN_Pastoral_N_Elmenteitan
    18.4 TZA_PN
    12.0 KEN_HyraxHill_2300BP
    10.6 KEN_Pastoral_IA

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

gihanga.rwanda (09-25-2020)

Registered Users
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b
    mtDNA (P)
    L-M357

ZanzibarSultanate
    Actually might be a false alarm - these guys are prolly mixed with Portuguese.

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 20-19-01.png

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 20-53-02.png
    Last edited by ThaYamamoto; 09-25-2020 at 07:53 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

drobbah (09-25-2020),  gihanga.rwanda (09-25-2020),  NetNomad (09-26-2020)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast