Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Palatinate Cornwall Germany Bayern Switzerland Netherlands

Cornwall on Ancestry's Ethnicity Estimate

Not sure if anyone else noticed, or if it even matters, but the southwest peninsula of Cornwall is not covered by the larger England/Wales/NW Europe or Ireland/Scotland map graphics.
    It seems strange that they would leave off the area west of Pentewan and Port Isaac from all regions, particularly when they were cautious enough to cover most of Switzerland in the English group and Brittany/Wales in Ireland/Scotland.

I'm curious if they intentionally did this since they don't have any Cornwall-specific samples in their reference panel. Obviously, from a genetics community standpoint they classify Cornwall under England and are pretty darn good at pinpointing those groups despite two of their 4 communities not sharing any overlap with the larger region on their map. Perhaps in the cultural revival there is political pressure from the Kernowyon to not be classified as English as well?

I'm also interested on whether this means Cornish ethnicity may be mistaken for other groups, particularly Irish/Scottish. My father receives a generous 19% (0-19%) Irish/Scottish for the Ulster roots that account for 1/16th of his paper trail.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (11-20-2019)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    Not sure if anyone else noticed, or if it even matters, but the southwest peninsula of Cornwall is not covered by the larger England/Wales/NW Europe or Ireland/Scotland map graphics.
    It seems strange that they would leave off the area west of Pentewan and Port Isaac from all regions, particularly when they were cautious enough to cover most of Switzerland in the English group and Brittany/Wales in Ireland/Scotland.

I'm curious if they intentionally did this since they don't have any Cornwall-specific samples in their reference panel. Obviously, from a genetics community standpoint they classify Cornwall under England and are pretty darn good at pinpointing those groups despite two of their 4 communities not sharing any overlap with the larger region on their map. Perhaps in the cultural revival there is political pressure from the Kernowyon to not be classified as English as well?

I'm also interested on whether this means Cornish ethnicity may be mistaken for other groups, particularly Irish/Scottish. My father receives a generous 19% (0-19%) Irish/Scottish for the Ulster roots that account for 1/16th of his paper trail.
    While they made an effort to increase - maybe that's not the right word - pinpoint their potential area maps better, they still miss a lot. IIRC Cornwall is a region that can fall under both Ire/Scot and Eng/NW, as can Wales, as can England even in some cases. A lot of people since the update lost French percentages into Eng/NW but have ancestry from parts of France which are not highlighted on the map.
    I don't think the regions highlighted on the map matter that much. It looks like they are how ancestry thought these outlying regions or areas of these categories would appear but it doesn't really seem so.

I never put much faith into what these companies say or how they show their regions to be. I put everything into points of comparison with others who have tested. That's where they really shine.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (05-04-2020),  Robert1 (11-20-2019)