Nationality
    American; Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L23
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

Italy Czech Republic Germany England Canada United States of America

T2b

According to 23andMe, my mother's and my mtDNA haplogroup is T2b. It doesn't specifiy any sub category beyond that. Does that mean that our haplogroup is just an older one that did not experience any mutations like the subsets or is 23andMe just being extremely general?
    I can find very little information on this haplogroup, though there is an FTDNA group for it.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z49
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

Brazil
    I bought Ftdna’s mtDNA full because I didn’t want a generic result... But all they gave me was T2b!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    IT, CZ, EN, DE
    Nationality
    American; Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L23
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

Italy Czech Republic Germany England Canada United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by emc View Post
    I bought Ftdna’s mtDNA full because I didn’t want a generic result... But all they gave me was T2b!
    But what does that mean? What type of ancestry does this haplogroup suggest?

Also, were you happy with other aspects of FTDNA's mtDNA Full test? All I've done is an autosomal test with 23andMe and I've been thinking of getting FTDNA's mtDNA Full.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    Father N1c
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a

T2b is one of the most widespread and successful Neolithic farmer lineages. Since the Anatolian Neolithic, this line has been found in all major archaeological cultures in Europe, including Starčevo, LBK, Epicardial Neolithic, Cucuteni Tripolye, Vinča, Lengyel, Mickelsberg, TRB, Pitted Ware Gotland, Megalithic cultures, Chalcolithic Spain, Baden, Globular Amphorae, Corded Ware, Bell Beaker, Unetice, Maros, Vatya, Urnfield, Trzciniec, Scythians, Scytho-Siberians, Pazyryk, Longobards, Vikings, Romans etc., etc.

It has many subtypes, but the plain T2b seems also quite common: http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_..._sequences.htm

If you are interested, take a look at this paper focusing on JT: Reconciling evidence from ancient and contemporary genomes: a major source for the European Neolithic within Mediterranean Europe (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5378072/)

As supplementary material, there is also a "Maximum-parsimony tree of haplogroup JT and list of samples used".
    Last edited by Kristiina; 11-21-2019 at 07:57 AM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kristiina For This Useful Post:

Bollox79 (07-29-2020),  emc (11-21-2019),  Riverman (06-08-2020),  sktibo (11-21-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z49
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by italianguy View Post
    But what does that mean? What type of ancestry does this haplogroup suggest?

Also, were you happy with other aspects of FTDNA's mtDNA Full test? All I've done is an autosomal test with 23andMe and I've been thinking of getting FTDNA's mtDNA Full.
    Well, I chose not to buy mtDNA plus (the cheaper one) because I didn't want to be left in the middle of the way... Turns out they gave me a pretty generic result anyway.

I guess I belong to a clade that has not been defined yet, so I hope I'll receive an update in the future.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Denmark and Sicily
    Nationality
    U.S. American
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-Z30503* - YFull
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b24b1 - YFull

United States of America Denmark Italy Sicily
    Hi emc,

You should look into uploading your Full mtDNA result to YFull as they now have a M tree and are accepting mtDNA file uploads for interpretation and placement. For only $25 its worth it. Also, If you have not yet done so, be sure to join the T2b group on FTDNA as they may have some insight also.

https://www.yfull.com/ - Select the mtDNA interpretation option at the bottom.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GenealogyMike For This Useful Post:

emc (12-18-2019),  Riverman (06-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z49
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by GenealogyMike View Post
    Hi emc,

You should look into uploading your Full mtDNA result to YFull as they now have a M tree and are accepting mtDNA file uploads for interpretation and placement. For only $25 its worth it. Also, If you have not yet done so, be sure to join the T2b group on FTDNA as they may have some insight also.

Hi Mike, somehow I missed your reply. Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by GenealogyMike View Post
    Hi emc,

Do you know something about their tree building? It tells
    YFull MTree 1.02.1334 (under construction)
    So might they try to assign some so far unknown variants to new clades, like for the yDNA?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15733
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

The Viking (female) warrior featured in a recent episode of the "Secrets of the Dead" series on PBS stations (aired 7 July, 2020) was T2b. That program is available to watch online until 5 August. There is more detail about the bones, burial position, weapons etc. than one normally gets in a dry archaeological report -- although her mtDNA is not really discussed. The fact that she was T2b was available from other documentation. https://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/vik...ull-film/5276/
    Last edited by razyn; 07-21-2020 at 09:47 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to razyn For This Useful Post:

Bollox79 (07-29-2020),  Riverman (07-21-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Denmark and Sicily
    Nationality
    U.S. American
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-Z30503* - YFull
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b24b1 - YFull

United States of America Denmark Italy Sicily
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Do you know something about their tree building? It tells

So might they try to assign some so far unknown variants to new clades, like for the yDNA?
    From what I have heard the YFull MTree is being reworked. They had made a bunch of changes when it first came out last year and then they rolled most of them back and are starting over. They had me as T2b24* then put in as T2b24b but then got rid of it and then put me back in as straight T2b24. Will be interesting to see what happens in the future.
    Last edited by GenealogyMike; 07-25-2020 at 04:37 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GenealogyMike For This Useful Post:

Riverman (07-25-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast