Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Here are my dad's results. I'm not posting mines because I don't think they're right.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-05-2021),  kujira692 (03-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    He has a high NW Scotland too so maybe the NW Scotland is actually true for my results.

Thought it interesting myself that my Cumbria (5%) was higher than SW Scotland (2%). What would that infer? More English ancestry than Scottish?

What does Cumbria actually mean?

NB: My Cumbria percentage ties up with my AncestryDNA England percentage. Similarly his AncestryDNA England percentage is 10% which once again ties up here.

Perhaps the ancestry England percentage is actually English after all and not just Anglo Scots? Anglo Scots is what I had assumed my percentage inferred.
    In few very few historical sources that comment on the origin, Cumbria (or maybe Cheshire?), Lancashire and Devon are mentioned if I recall correctly. I think there was a specific mention of this kind of origin for the English settlers of the Lagan valley stretching from Belfast to Lisburn and beyond. I think it was a writer called Brereton mentioned it in his account of travelling through Ireland in the 1630s. Certainly seems NW England and to a lesser extent SW England was the main sources of English planters in Ulster. But its amazing how little info there is on ordinary settlers. Some probably brought men from their English estates too. I think its generally accepted that the English element within the protestant population of Ulster is highest in Ulster in the Lagan valley and north Armagh.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (03-06-2021),  JMcB (03-05-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    In few very few historical sources that comment on the origin, Cumbria (or maybe Cheshire?), Lancashire and Devon are mentioned if I recall correctly. I think there was a specific mention of this kind of origin for the English settlers of the Lagan valley stretching from Belfast to Lisburn and beyond. I think it was a writer called Brereton mentioned it in his account of travelling through Ireland in the 1630s. Certainly seems NW England and to a lesser extent SW England was the main sources of English planters in Ulster. But its amazing how little info there is on ordinary settlers. Some probably brought men from their English estates too. I think its generally accepted that the English element within the protestant population of Ulster is highest in Ulster in the Lagan valley and north Armagh.
    It is always said that the Roe Valley area had a small English plantation from Sir Thomas Phillips. I have some lines that appear to have came on that (Thompson and Smith), however, only see Irish and Scottish in my results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12