Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Here are my dad's results. I'm not posting mines because I don't think they're right.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-05-2021),  kujira692 (03-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    He has a high NW Scotland too so maybe the NW Scotland is actually true for my results.

Thought it interesting myself that my Cumbria (5%) was higher than SW Scotland (2%). What would that infer? More English ancestry than Scottish?

What does Cumbria actually mean?

NB: My Cumbria percentage ties up with my AncestryDNA England percentage. Similarly his AncestryDNA England percentage is 10% which once again ties up here.

Perhaps the ancestry England percentage is actually English after all and not just Anglo Scots? Anglo Scots is what I had assumed my percentage inferred.
    In few very few historical sources that comment on the origin, Cumbria (or maybe Cheshire?), Lancashire and Devon are mentioned if I recall correctly. I think there was a specific mention of this kind of origin for the English settlers of the Lagan valley stretching from Belfast to Lisburn and beyond. I think it was a writer called Brereton mentioned it in his account of travelling through Ireland in the 1630s. Certainly seems NW England and to a lesser extent SW England was the main sources of English planters in Ulster. But its amazing how little info there is on ordinary settlers. Some probably brought men from their English estates too. I think its generally accepted that the English element within the protestant population of Ulster is highest in Ulster in the Lagan valley and north Armagh.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (03-06-2021),  JMcB (03-05-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    In few very few historical sources that comment on the origin, Cumbria (or maybe Cheshire?), Lancashire and Devon are mentioned if I recall correctly. I think there was a specific mention of this kind of origin for the English settlers of the Lagan valley stretching from Belfast to Lisburn and beyond. I think it was a writer called Brereton mentioned it in his account of travelling through Ireland in the 1630s. Certainly seems NW England and to a lesser extent SW England was the main sources of English planters in Ulster. But its amazing how little info there is on ordinary settlers. Some probably brought men from their English estates too. I think its generally accepted that the English element within the protestant population of Ulster is highest in Ulster in the Lagan valley and north Armagh.
    It is always said that the Roe Valley area had a small English plantation from Sir Thomas Phillips. I have some lines that appear to have came on that (Thompson and Smith), however, only see Irish and Scottish in my results.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British-English-Irish

Northern Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    Here are my dad's results. I'm not posting mines because I don't think they're right.
    Hi I know you're an ex poster of boards.ie and I saw you on this thread posting your AncestryDNA and LivingDNA results

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...hp?p=116483053

I'm going to confuse your more with my results lol. My mother is fully Ulster Irish (her mother from South Down, her father from South Tyrone), one of her great grandparents might have been a protestant (listed as catholic in the 1901/1911 census but think she might have been Church of Ireland previously and converted for marriage).

My father is mostly from North Louth outside Dundalk, with some south Armagh ancestry, my fathers passed away now, but he told me one of his great-great grandparents was a Scottish protestant from Ayrshire).

Here are my results anyway:

So essentially I have less Ulster-Scots/Non-Irish ancestry than you but score very much like your father, confused?

They were from my 23andme results and they appear to have made me fairly Germanic shifted for some reason. I'll be getting the AncestryDNA kit shortly but that's pretty out of whack for a very near fully native Irish person?
    Last edited by Sharpshooter; 06-13-2021 at 03:56 PM.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    Hi I know you're an ex poster of boards.ie and I saw you on this thread posting your AncestryDNA and LivingDNA results

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...hp?p=116483053

I'm going to confuse your more with my results lol. My mother is fully Ulster Irish (her mother from South Down, her father from South Tyrone), one of her great grandparents might have been a protestant (listed as catholic in the 1901/1911 census but think she might have been Church of Ireland previously and converted for marriage).

My father is mostly from North Louth outside Dundalk, with some south Armagh ancestry, my fathers passed away now, but he told me one of his great-great grandparents was a Scottish protestant from Ayrshire).

Here are my results anyway:

So essentially I have less Ulster-Scots/Non-Irish ancestry than you but score very much like your father, confused?

They were from my 23andme results and they appear to have made me fairly Germanic shifted for some reason. I'll be getting the AncestryDNA kit shortly but that's pretty out of whack for a very near fully native Irish person?
    Absolutely, there does appear to be issues with LivingDNA and its allocation of Ulster Irish and Scottish dna. AncestryDNA appears to have perfectly captured my genetic genealogy, however, I do have to say that I appear to be heavily Celtic in ethnic makeup on the basis of the analysis of the results from multiple G25 calculators.

It's entirely possible that the combination of Donegal/Ulster Irish Dna and Western Scottish dna produces an Irish signal? I do think it is odd that my fathers results are so drastically different to my results on LivingDNA but so similar on AncestryDNA.

I would be interested to hear others opinions on this as to why this disparity occurs between the two sites. But I don't think for one minute that I am 85% Irish and I think it would be interesting to see if my sister recorded similar results. Or even if a different upload produced the same result?
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 06-13-2021 at 10:49 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Sharpshooter (06-14-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12