Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Moroccan (muslim & jewish) results (ftdna)

  1. #31
    Registered Users
    Posts
    31
    Sex
    Omitted

    Both my parents are berberophone moroccans, my ftdna results are more or less what I expected (predominantly north african with minor iberian/sephardic).



    However when I transferred my raw data to myheritage, the estimated north african component appeared to have dropped. Any idea what could be causing the disparity?



    DNAland gave me a lower estimate as well;

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bar For This Useful Post:

     Angoliga (10-05-2020),  passenger (09-29-2020),  Targum (09-30-2020)

  3. #32
    Registered Users
    Posts
    85
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Africa
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M183
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

    France Morocco Occitania
    their reference populations are not the same. If you want to have an accurate idea, you should get your global25 from Eurogene.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Itrane2000 For This Useful Post:

     Bar (10-05-2020)

  5. #33
    Registered Users
    Posts
    31
    Sex
    Omitted

    Quote Originally Posted by Itrane2000 View Post
    their reference populations are not the same. If you want to have an accurate idea, you should get your global25 from Eurogene.
    I was actually contemplating purchasing an ancestrydna kit since they have the largest reference dataset, why do think g25 is better?

  6. #34
    Registered Users
    Posts
    665
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

    Poland Russian Federation Bulgaria Ottoman Empire Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar View Post
    I was actually contemplating purchasing an ancestrydna kit since they have the largest reference dataset, why do think g25 is better?
    Are you part Sephardi, part Morrocan? AncestryDNA is not very good with Sephardim. On Reddit I saw quarter Spanish Sephardim scoring 0% Western Asian or Italian
    23andme 5.9: 86,8% Eastern European, 9,1% Greek and Balkan, 0.3% Spanish and Portuguese, 1,2% Anatolian, 0,7% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1,4% Broadly Southern European, 0,5% Broadly European

    Distance: 1.8082% / 0.01808160
    Target: Cyryl_scaled | ADC: 0.25x RC
    85.3 East_Europe
    7.4 Southeast_Europe
    5.0 Sephardic
    2.3 Asia_Minor



    Ancestry: 68,75% Polish settlers in Ukraine, 12,5% Northern Russian, 12,5% Alfatar Bulgarian ( + Sephardic ancestry ) , 6,25% Kuban Cossack

  7. #35
    Registered Users
    Posts
    31
    Sex
    Omitted

    Quote Originally Posted by CyrylBojarski View Post
    Are you part Sephardi, part Morrocan? AncestryDNA is not very good with Sephardim. On Reddit I saw quarter Spanish Sephardim scoring 0% Western Asian or Italian
    No I'm fully moroccan/berber. Re sephardim; isn't that because they have their own reference cluster, hence those components that make up their genepool are obscured in the results?

  8. #36
    Moderator
    Posts
    1,203
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

    England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar View Post
    No I'm fully moroccan/berber. Re sephardim; isn't that because they have their own reference cluster, hence those components that make up their genepool are obscured in the results?
    That shouldn't be the case, since AncestryDNA doesn't have a specific Sephardic category, so it gets broken down into components. They seem to be doing a pretty bad job though, especially with results for people of partial Sephardic ancestry.

    I don't know exactly what "Spanish Sephardic" means though. Are we talking about someone who is partly descended from conversos who never left Spain, but who self-identifies as part Sephardic? Or someone with Sephardic ancestors who moved to Spain from somewhere else in the Mediterranean diaspora? This could make a big difference.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

     Bar (10-05-2020)

  10. #37
    Registered Users
    Posts
    665
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

    Poland Russian Federation Bulgaria Ottoman Empire Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    That shouldn't be the case, since AncestryDNA doesn't have a specific Sephardic category, so it gets broken down into components. They seem to be doing a pretty bad job though, especially with results for people of partial Sephardic ancestry.

    I don't know exactly what "Spanish Sephardic" means though. Are we talking about someone who is partly descended from conversos who never left Spain, but who self-identifies as part Sephardic? Or someone with Sephardic ancestors who moved to Spain from somewhere else in the Mediterranean diaspora? This could make a big difference.
    That person did not tell it. He says he just has known Sephardic ancestry, his results are mostly Iberian with some NW Euro. I think his Sephardic ancestors never left Spain, I do not remember
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 10-03-2020 at 07:46 PM.
    23andme 5.9: 86,8% Eastern European, 9,1% Greek and Balkan, 0.3% Spanish and Portuguese, 1,2% Anatolian, 0,7% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1,4% Broadly Southern European, 0,5% Broadly European

    Distance: 1.8082% / 0.01808160
    Target: Cyryl_scaled | ADC: 0.25x RC
    85.3 East_Europe
    7.4 Southeast_Europe
    5.0 Sephardic
    2.3 Asia_Minor



    Ancestry: 68,75% Polish settlers in Ukraine, 12,5% Northern Russian, 12,5% Alfatar Bulgarian ( + Sephardic ancestry ) , 6,25% Kuban Cossack

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to CyrylBojarski For This Useful Post:

     passenger (10-03-2020)

  12. #38
    Registered Users
    Posts
    31
    Sex
    Omitted

    Quote Originally Posted by Itrane2000 View Post
    their reference populations are not the same. If you want to have an accurate idea, you should get your global25 from Eurogene.
    I suspect myheritage uses south moroccans as their reference for north africa, from what I've seen so far berbers from the souss valley score close to 100%. Anyway I'd have to mail davidski to get my g25 coordinates, right?

  13. #39
    Moderator
    Posts
    1,203
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

    England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar View Post
    Anyway I'd have to mail davidski to get my g25 coordinates, right?
    Right. https://bga101.blogspot.com/2017/10/...ore-to-be.html

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

     Bar (10-05-2020)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-16-2020, 01:48 PM
  2. Gujarati Muslim Results
    By Reza in forum Southern
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-24-2020, 01:19 PM
  3. Northern Syrian/Moroccan results
    By Eli00 in forum MyHeritage
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2019, 03:23 PM
  4. Kashmiri Muslim Gedmatch Results
    By Sapporo in forum Southern
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 06-07-2018, 04:34 PM
  5. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 11-24-2017, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •