Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland

Emigration to Tennessee

I have recently got a match at FTDNA of 93/32 that makes it the top match excluding my father for total shared , and the 5th match for longest block. It is not a match to my father, so I assume it's on my mother's side.

I've emailed the person looking after the account , and she has very limited info re her ancestry beyond her family having been in Tennessee for quite some time.

I would be interested to know what nationalities were more likely to emigrate to Tennessee in the 18th/19th C .
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (11-24-2019)

Suspended Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I would say British and Irish mainly, especially Scots and Ulster Scots. There were Welsh people, too, although they seem always to be subsumed in the general "British" or "English" categories.

Migration. The first white settlers in Tennessee, who came across the mountains from North Carolina and Virginia, were almost entirely of English extraction. They were followed by an influx of Scotch-Irish, mainly from Pennsylvania. About 3,800 German and Irish migrants arrived during the 1830s and 1840s.
    http://www.city-data.com/states/Tenn...Migration.html

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...nd_Immigration

European. Pre-statehood settlers of Tennessee generally came from Virginia and the Carolinas by way of the Cumberland Gap and other land routes. Some settlers from Pennsylvania and New England poled keel boats from the Ohio River up the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers. Most of these early settlers were of English and Ulster Scottish origin, although some were of German, Irish, and French ancestry.

Tennessee continued to attract settlers from the Atlantic Coast into the 1830's and received Irish and German settlers during the European immigrations beginning at that time. However, most of the overseas immigrants preferred the industrialized North rather than the agricultural South. Many settlers moved from Tennessee to areas further west, most notably to Arkansas and Texas.
    Last edited by rms2; 11-24-2019 at 01:02 PM.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

chelle (11-24-2019),  Dewsloth (11-25-2019),  firemonkey (11-24-2019),  Garimund (11-24-2019),  msmarjoribanks (11-24-2019),  Scarlet Ibis (01-12-2020),  [email protected] (11-24-2019),  Sid Griffith (12-01-2020)

Suspended Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

That lady ought to be excited by her match to you, firemonkey, since you're the one across the Pond in the old Mother Country, the Promised Land of North American genealogical research. I have a few Ancestry matches in Britain with my own surname, but not a blessed one of them will order a y-dna test from FTDNA to find out if we're related on the y-chromosome line. If they were matches at 23andMe I would at least have a pretty good idea or could eliminate them entirely, since 23andMe reports on a y-dna SNP not all that far upstream of my own terminal SNP.

Many of my own ancestors were Tennesseans, and I myself was born there. Here is my Ancestry thingy, including my North American communities.

Ancestry Ethnicity Estimate_rms2_24 Nov 2019.jpg
    Last edited by rms2; 11-24-2019 at 01:43 PM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

chelle (11-24-2019),  firemonkey (11-24-2019),  Garimund (11-24-2019),  msmarjoribanks (11-24-2019),  Scarlet Ibis (01-12-2020),  [email protected] (11-24-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15733
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

There was a pretty strong colonial German element in East and Middle Tennessee, maybe not so much West TN (except for that 1830s-40s group -- and that may not be considered "a long time" by your contact). Many of the earlier German settlers had come from PA, but usually by way of the (Shenandoah, etc.) Valley Road in VA and NC, and often with a generation or two spent in one or both of those older colonies. TN was never a colony, though it had a bit of European derived settlement before 1776.

However, such a long time in TN would have diluted autosomal DNA, and you wouldn't expect long matching segments if your own recent ancestry is all Isles. Maybe something like war brides; maybe miners, potters, harness makers or other technically skilled workers who came to TN directly from Europe.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to razyn For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (11-26-2019),  firemonkey (11-24-2019),  msmarjoribanks (11-24-2019),  Robert1 (01-12-2020),  Scarlet Ibis (01-12-2020),  [email protected] (11-24-2019)

Suspended Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Speaking of "Germans" in Tennessee, one of my own immigrant ancestors was Ulrich Stutz from Zürich, Switzerland, born in 1688. He settled first in Pennsylvania, then went to North Carolina, where he died in 1775. His grandson Leonard carried the now-anglicized surname of Stutts to Tennessee and ultimately just across the border into Lauderdale County, Alabama.

At last count I had more than 200 matches at Ancestry to people who share Stutts ancestors with me, including a number whose most recent connection to me is Ulrich himself, and several who carry the Stutts surname.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

firemonkey (11-24-2019),  JerryS. (11-29-2020),  Saetro (11-25-2019),  Scarlet Ibis (01-12-2020),  [email protected] (11-24-2019),  Sid Griffith (12-01-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

Thanks all of you . Putting the surname and Tennessee into search at Ancestry gives Hickman as a place for the family concerned .

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

rms2 (11-24-2019),  Scarlet Ibis (01-12-2020),  [email protected] (11-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
    Thanks all of you . Putting the surname and Tennessee into search at Ancestry gives Hickman as a place for the family concerned .
    Hickman County? https://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/en...ickman-county/

Does the match have a tree at all? Often you can trace it back so long as they've identified grandparents or g-grandparents, although it would be better if the match could tell you what side of her family the match is on.

I'd also want to know what she means by "for a long time." Often if you can find out the key ancestors who need to be traced back, you can find other trees involving the same people (although trees always need to be double-checked).

I agree with rms, if I found an English match on one of my British Isles colonial lines that are lost in VA or PA in the 1700s, I'd be super-excited because it would tell me a lot.

I have one branch that was in TN briefly -- they moved from NC to AL, ended up in TN by the War of 1812 (service records from there, as well as confirmation of prior residences from the pension file), and then moved north (and a little more west) into Southern IL. What's said above about ancestry of TN settlers in general is correct.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

firemonkey (11-24-2019),  rms2 (11-24-2019),  Saetro (11-25-2019),  [email protected] (11-24-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

This is the info she gave.

Tim,
    Nice to hear from you. My ancestry is a bit confusing. I grew up in Hohenwald, Tennessee, with family in the surrounding areas.

My paternal grandfather was raised by his maternal grandfather. My paternal great grandfather is a mystery. My paternal great grandmother had 9 children and the fathers are all unknown. My paternal grandmother was Nancy Chessor. Her father was Jesse Adam Chessor, son of Samuel Chessor & Evaline Cobel.

I wish I had more information on their origins. I’m fairly new to genealogy.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (11-24-2019),  rms2 (11-24-2019),  [email protected] (11-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British, Jewish, etc.
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M253
    mtDNA (M)
    H3
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z93
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c

United States of America Scotland Ireland England Star of David
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    That lady ought to be excited by her match to you, firemonkey, since you're the one across the Pond in the old Mother Country, the Promised Land of North American genealogical research. I have a few Ancestry matches in Britain with my own surname, but not a blessed one of them will order a y-dna test from FTDNA to find out if we're related on the y-chromosome line. If they were matches at 23andMe I would at least have a pretty good idea or could eliminate them entirely, since 23andMe reports on a y-dna SNP not all that far upstream of my own terminal SNP.

Many of my own ancestors were Tennesseans, and I myself was born there. Here is my Ancestry thingy, including my North American communities.

Ancestry Ethnicity Estimate_rms2_24 Nov 2019.jpg
    This is so true. Those are my favorite matches to find, even if I still can't figure out how we match. It makes it still feel like there is still a tie to ancestral homelands. I am a bit jealous you get so many communities. I thought for sure I would get an Arkansas or Missouri one to go with my Tennessee, but nope.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chelle For This Useful Post:

firemonkey (11-24-2019),  msmarjoribanks (11-24-2019),  rms2 (11-24-2019),  [email protected] (11-24-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a

England Denmark Wales Scotland Sweden
    I have a number of ancestors on my mother's side from Sumner Co. in central Tennessee. They almost all have lowland Scottish surnames. They seem to have come en masse via the Cumberland gap from North Carolina in the late 18th century and were interrelated by marriage. At least one them was originally from Pennsylvania. My surmise, though I haven't yet established it, is that they were of Ulster origin.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoldenHind For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (11-26-2019),  firemonkey (11-24-2019),  msmarjoribanks (11-24-2019),  rms2 (11-24-2019),  [email protected] (11-24-2019)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast