Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finns vs Russians

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA (M)
    H28 (UA/GAC)

Quote Originally Posted by al.Krivich View Post
    Hello, I am Russian and in making this post I do not seek to insult Finnish people nor any Finnic people! However, I have noticed that Finnish members on the board often call Russians mongoloid and many other members seem to think that Russians are more mongoloid than Finns. To me, this seems like a joke!
    Sure, we have some mongoloid ancestry, but it is much significantly lower than in Finns. In fact, you can draw a straight line between Finnish people and French people - and Russians will be on that line. This means we are both more Western and More Southern than Finnish people are. https://imgur.com/a/JdbbM8Z

Even Northern Russians, are more Western & Southern than Finns are genetically. That can not be denied.

And I am not saying that we are purely Caucasoid either, of course we have some uralic genes. BUT, we have significantly less of these genes than Finnish people do.
    Also, you can very clearly see the difference when looking at phenotypes.
    I , for example am Pontid phenotype (Long narrow nose, brown eyes and hair), which can not be found in Finland.
    Whereas a lot of Finnic people are Lappid phenotype, which can not be found in Russians.

So please, be aware that we are Europeans, and in Fact more Europeans than Finns are. The only reasons Finns have such a western image is because of Swedish colonization and Christianization. Before christianity and Vikings, Finland was no different from Mongolia
    We try not to discuss phenotypes here. Discussing phenotypes does not really helps to understand genetics or history better. Also phenotypes dont correlate with genetics in many cases. A Ukrainian/Polish-like looking Russian can have more Uralic admixture than a Finnish/Mordvinian-like looking Russian. Having a (partial) Epicanthic fold doesn not automatically means that you have significant asiatic admixture. Many Russians think that they must have tatar admixture because some ancestors were dark eyed or dark haird but in most cases this turns out not to be true and they are often indistinguishable from other East Slavs.
    Y-DNA: R1a> R-M417> R-Z645> R-Z93> R-Z94> R-Y3 (Sredny Stog)> R-L657> R-Y4 (Andronovo)> R-Y6> R-Y5> R-Y920* (Pashtun/Indo-Aryan)

mtDNA: H28 (Globular Amphora, Bronze Age Latvia) > H28a (Ruthenian)

mtDNA (Wife): H1b (found in Globular Amphora, EBA Poland, Bronze Age Latvia) > H1b5 (found in Viking-Age Gotland) > H1b5 (Russian)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Geborgenheit View Post
    Russians have a lot of Finno-Ugric ancestry. That's why they usually get hundreds of Finnish cousins in autosomal tests.
    Getting at lot of IBD hits with Finns is about as informative as getting a lot of IBD hits with Ashkenazi Jews.

Not very informative at all, due to their genetic bottlenecks.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Generalissimo For This Useful Post:

Coldmountains (11-30-2019),  J Man (11-30-2019),  leonardo (12-01-2019)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    Father N1c
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a

ENA belongs to north Eurasia. Both Yana and Malta genomes carry ca 20% of ENA. This means that it is natural that Northern North Eurasians carry ENA. Southerners do not.

Yana and Malta UP.GIF

Source: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/bior...1/448829-1.pdf

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kristiina For This Useful Post:

parasar (11-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I lived in Russia back in 2001. IMHO most Russians are very European looking, but every once in awhile one encounters a person with what might be regarded as Mongoloid features. It's not exactly what I would call commonplace. I can't comment on Finns, since I've never lived in Finland or have ever even been there.
    Of course, you will see more Mongoloid looking Russians than you will French or British, I am not arguing that. However, you will see less Mongoloid Russians than you will finns.

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I lived in Russia back in 2001. IMHO most Russians are very European looking, but every once in awhile one encounters a person with what might be regarded as Mongoloid features. It's not exactly what I would call commonplace. I can't comment on Finns, since I've never lived in Finland or have ever even been there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geborgenheit View Post
    Russians have a lot of Finno-Ugric ancestry. That's why they usually get hundreds of Finnish cousins in autosomal tests.
    Swedish people get a lot of Finnish cousins in DNA tests. Much more than do Russians.
    The reason for that is large European mixture among the Finns, not large Uralic admixture among Europeans.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    Father N1c
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a

There is indeed more Finnish admixture in Sweden than Swedish admixture in Finland:

Nationwide Genomic Study in Denmark Fig 3.GIF

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw...ml?title=Click on image to zoom&p=PMC3&id=5068857_711fig3.jpg
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5068857/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kristiina For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (11-30-2019),  perttimp (12-01-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Coldmountains View Post
    well genetic tests are among Finns more popular than among many other Europeans. My wife for example indeed gets hundred of Finnish matches but barely has any Uralic admixture. Matches on autosomal tests can come from many generations ago.
    Is your wife Finnish?

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA (M)
    H28 (UA/GAC)

Quote Originally Posted by J Man View Post
    Is your wife Finnish?
    She is ethnic Russian with ancestry from Central and South Russia. Vladimir/Ivanovo from where most of her ancestors are from was once populated by Finno-Ugrians but it seems the native population was almost fully replaced in medieval times
    Y-DNA: R1a> R-M417> R-Z645> R-Z93> R-Z94> R-Y3 (Sredny Stog)> R-L657> R-Y4 (Andronovo)> R-Y6> R-Y5> R-Y920* (Pashtun/Indo-Aryan)

mtDNA: H28 (Globular Amphora, Bronze Age Latvia) > H28a (Ruthenian)

mtDNA (Wife): H1b (found in Globular Amphora, EBA Poland, Bronze Age Latvia) > H1b5 (found in Viking-Age Gotland) > H1b5 (Russian)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coldmountains For This Useful Post:

J Man (11-30-2019),  parasar (11-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic + Italo-Celt
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a1

Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    There is indeed more Finnish admixture in Sweden than Swedish admixture in Finland:

Nationwide Genomic Study in Denmark Fig 3.GIF

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw...ml?title=Click on image to zoom&p=PMC3&id=5068857_711fig3.jpg
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5068857/
    Yes. It is common. See my thread:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?19024-Swedish-sa
    Hidden Content

Eurogenes K13 Mixed Mode Population Sharing:
    1. 63.1% Swedish + 36.9% Spanish_Andalucia @ 2.93

Dodecad K12b
    7. 66.4% Norwegian + 33.6% TSI30 (Metspalu) @ 3.24
    9. 60.6% Norwegian + 39.4% N_Italian @ 3.32

Target: Nino
    Distance: 1.5423% / 0.01542331
    55.0 ISL_Viking_Age_Norse
    36.6 ITA_Rome_Latini_IA
    8.4 FIN_Levanluhta_IA2

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    N1c1 CTS 12908
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by al.Krivich View Post
    So please, be aware that we are Europeans, and in Fact more Europeans than Finns are.
    But of course you are. I think you've now truly deserved a biscuit or something for your campaign efforts.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huck Finn For This Useful Post:

J Man (12-01-2019),  Kopfjäger (12-01-2019),  Nino90 (11-30-2019),  perttimp (12-01-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast