Thread: Discrepancies between my mothers (Turkish) results and mine (mixed)

Sex
    Omitted

Discrepancies between my mothers (Turkish) results and mine (mixed)

Hello everyone,

after lurking for a while I've decided to make a thread.
    I am actually a bit surprised by the results my mother has gotten. I've done the tests mostly to confirm/deny some oral history about my family but the results have me more confused than ever. From what I can see it's quite common for parents and children to have results that don't quite match up in terms of percentages.
    The funny thing is that my results actually DO match family history more than my mothers.

My results:

West African
    38.9%
    Sierra Leonean
    0.8%
    North African
    20.0%
    West Asian
    20.8%
    Greek and South Italian
    6.5%
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    4.9%
    Balkan
    3.7%
    Mesoamerican and Andean
    2.4%
    Middle Eastern
    2.0%

My mothers results:

West Asian
    51.4%
    Chinese and Vietnamese
    1.3%
    Greek and South Italian
    38.7%
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    2.1%
    North African
    4.6%
    Nigerian
    1.9%

So, could the Balkan (great-grandmother) have been added to her Greek and South Italian? Her North African is also pretty low even though her great-grandfather was full Egyptian. She supposedly has Central Asian (Turkic) heritage which neither of us has. Maybe my Mesoamerican is actually Central Asian? Her Ashkenazi should also be higher same with the missing Middle Eastern.
    Her grandmother was from Russia but there is no Slavic or Central Asian in the results so could she have actually been from the Caucasus? I am just asking myself if there could be some easy way to make sense of these discrepancies.

I've actually run her DNA through GEDmatch but it seems like that's not the best tool to pinpoint actual populations. Maybe I am using it wrong does anybody know how I could figure it out?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suri For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (12-01-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic, Slavic, Baltic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3

Poland Pomerania Denmark France Sweden Russia Imperial Germany
    Personally, I put little faith into MyHeritage. I've only done uploads for myself and maternal grandparents. I don't think I would purchase kits after seeing the discrepancies, both in my personal results (misreads or missing pieces) and with inheritance as you've mentioned.

Myself
    35.3% NW European
    18.5% Irish
    2.2% Finnish
    44.0% East European

Grandma
    68.1% NW European
    3.8% Irish
    20.9% Iberian
    7.2% Italian

Grandpa
    64.7% Baltic
    26.1% East European
    4.8% Irish
    3.1% Finnish

If you notice, my results don't reflect my maternal side to a high degree of accuracy. No Southern European, no Baltic and I have absolutely no UK or Irish heritage but I show 18.5%?

My point is, some of these results could yield a wild-goose chase while searching for an answer. Have you tested anywhere else?

Depending on where in Russia your heritage is from, results may vary. My grandfather's results are that of a NW Russian - Baltic, Slavic and Finnish - no idea about the Irish, but I assume it's misread Germanic or Scandinavian that he gets on AncestryDNA and 23andMe. I have a 4th cousin on my Russian line who gets 13.5% Central Asian and 6.8% Inuit/Eskimo in addition to the Baltic, Slavic and Finnish results.

I'd assume south Russian heritage would yield some Balkan as well.
    Maternal grandfather: born in Leningrad Oblast, Russia (1928)
    Maternal grandmother: born in Centre-Val de Loire, France (1927) - earliest documented ancestor (1770) Indre, France
    Paternal grandmother: born in the US - earliest documented ancestors (c. 1800) Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Lower Saxony
    Paternal grandfather: born in the US - paternal grandparents born in Danzig (c. 1854), maternal grandparents born in Kolding, Denmark 1875, maternal great grandma born in Lindberg, Sweden 1849

4. The Following User Says Thank You to boilermeschew827 For This Useful Post:

Suri (12-02-2019)

Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by boilermeschew827 View Post
    Personally, I put little faith into MyHeritage. I've only done uploads for myself and maternal grandparents. I don't think I would purchase kits after seeing the discrepancies, both in my personal results (misreads or missing pieces) and with inheritance as you've mentioned.

Myself
    35.3% NW European
    18.5% Irish
    2.2% Finnish
    44.0% East European

Grandma
    68.1% NW European
    3.8% Irish
    20.9% Iberian
    7.2% Italian

Grandpa
    64.7% Baltic
    26.1% East European
    4.8% Irish
    3.1% Finnish

If you notice, my results don't reflect my maternal side to a high degree of accuracy. No Southern European, no Baltic and I have absolutely no UK or Irish heritage but I show 18.5%?

My point is, some of these results could yield a wild-goose chase while searching for an answer. Have you tested anywhere else?

Depending on where in Russia your heritage is from, results may vary. My grandfather's results are that of a NW Russian - Baltic, Slavic and Finnish - no idea about the Irish, but I assume it's misread Germanic or Scandinavian that he gets on AncestryDNA and 23andMe. I have a 4th cousin on my Russian line who gets 13.5% Central Asian and 6.8% Inuit/Eskimo in addition to the Baltic, Slavic and Finnish results.

I'd assume south Russian heritage would yield some Balkan as well.

Thanks for the answer!

I haven't tested anywhere else yet but I am thinking about it. I've noticed that our DNA kits actually make more sense together when run through GEDmatch. Unfortunately the Oracles are only useful if one knows exactly what they are looking for. I don't want to have confirmation bias.

You are actually right about my great-grandmother being from Southern Russia (close to modern-day Ukraine) but shouldn't that be reflected in at least a little Eastern European or Baltic DNA? And if she was 100% Balkan genetically that percentage would also have to be much bigger. And it doesn't even show up in my mother only in me. The lack of Central Asian is actually baffling to me. The Turks I know who've done it all got a result in the double digits and they are from the same area as my mother.
    I think I'll have to try to find out more about her grandmother through the paper trail because I feel like there might be an interesting story there.

Your results are interesting as well. I wouldn't expect a Russian person like your grandfather to have significant Irish ancestry. I wonder where that could come from...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Suri For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (12-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic, Slavic, Baltic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3

Poland Pomerania Denmark France Sweden Russia Imperial Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Suri View Post
    Thanks for the answer!

I haven't tested anywhere else yet but I am thinking about it. I've noticed that our DNA kits actually make more sense together when run through GEDmatch. Unfortunately the Oracles are only useful if one knows exactly what they are looking for. I don't want to have confirmation bias.

You are actually right about my great-grandmother being from Southern Russia (close to modern-day Ukraine) but shouldn't that be reflected in at least a little Eastern European or Baltic DNA? And if she was 100% Balkan genetically that percentage would also have to be much bigger. And it doesn't even show up in my mother only in me. The lack of Central Asian is actually baffling to me. The Turks I know who've done it all got a result in the double digits and they are from the same area as my mother.
    I think I'll have to try to find out more about her grandmother through the paper trail because I feel like there might be an interesting story there.

Your results are interesting as well. I wouldn't expect a Russian person like your grandfather to have significant Irish ancestry. I wonder where that could come from...
    I would definitely recommend testing elsewhere. I know some people swear by MyHeritage, but out of the kits I manage, my wife is the only one I would consider to be accurate - she is of British descent with colonial American mixed in.

So here is me and my grandfather's comparison on MyHeritage:
    Capture 2.jpg

Here is my grandfather on 23andMe and Ancestry:
    Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

You can see the difference between each company. His AncestryDNA and 23andMe reports are close, 23andMe does not split Baltic from East European the way Ancestry does. My guess is his Irish on MyHeritage is misplaced NW European or Scandinavian, which is possible given the history of that part of the country. Prior to the Ancestry update he had minor Swedish, so anything is possible I guess. I forgot he also gets East Asian - Filipino although I am pretty sure this is a proxy for some East Asian (Siberian) or Saami, I am not sure. When he first tested at Ancestry, he got Polynesian, but after tinkering around with Gedmatch and G25, I would bet this is Saami or Siberian.

The history of Russia is complex. Generally, there are the Slavic and Baltic components as you mentioned. But you can see from my own results, I also end up with 0% Baltic. My guess is MyHeritage is a poor test to base your papertrail on, as it is with mine. I would be curious to see what your results are on a different test. Your missing Slavic and/or Baltic may just be misread and buried somewhere or, like you mentioned, maybe there is more to the story with your great grandmother. I agree Ukrainian or near Ukraine should yield some Slavic. Does she have a stereotypical Russian surname (my grandfather for example ends in -ov, his mother was -ova)?

I also agree the lack of Central Asian in your case is confusing, leading me to believe that MyHeritage is not a very good test to base your papertrail on. What is the country distribution of your DNA matches? Also, what are your closest matches' ethnicity breakdowns? In my case, I am missing Scandinavian in my results, but Denmark and Sweden yield both close matches and quantity of matches many with 100% Scandinavian in their results.

One thing to keep in mind with these tests, I feel that the more admixed a person is, the less accurate these tests become. 23andMe has been most accurate for me. AncestryDNA has had problems separating German from French and Danish from Germanic or Scandinavian, in my case.
    Maternal grandfather: born in Leningrad Oblast, Russia (1928)
    Maternal grandmother: born in Centre-Val de Loire, France (1927) - earliest documented ancestor (1770) Indre, France
    Paternal grandmother: born in the US - earliest documented ancestors (c. 1800) Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Lower Saxony
    Paternal grandfather: born in the US - paternal grandparents born in Danzig (c. 1854), maternal grandparents born in Kolding, Denmark 1875, maternal great grandma born in Lindberg, Sweden 1849

8. The Following User Says Thank You to boilermeschew827 For This Useful Post:

Suri (12-04-2019)

Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by boilermeschew827 View Post
    I would definitely recommend testing elsewhere. I know some people swear by MyHeritage, but out of the kits I manage, my wife is the only one I would consider to be accurate - she is of British descent with colonial American mixed in.

So here is me and my grandfather's comparison on MyHeritage:
    Capture 2.jpg

Here is my grandfather on 23andMe and Ancestry:
    Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

You can see the difference between each company. His AncestryDNA and 23andMe reports are close, 23andMe does not split Baltic from East European the way Ancestry does. My guess is his Irish on MyHeritage is misplaced NW European or Scandinavian, which is possible given the history of that part of the country. Prior to the Ancestry update he had minor Swedish, so anything is possible I guess. I forgot he also gets East Asian - Filipino although I am pretty sure this is a proxy for some East Asian (Siberian) or Saami, I am not sure. When he first tested at Ancestry, he got Polynesian, but after tinkering around with Gedmatch and G25, I would bet this is Saami or Siberian.

The history of Russia is complex. Generally, there are the Slavic and Baltic components as you mentioned. But you can see from my own results, I also end up with 0% Baltic. My guess is MyHeritage is a poor test to base your papertrail on, as it is with mine. I would be curious to see what your results are on a different test. Your missing Slavic and/or Baltic may just be misread and buried somewhere or, like you mentioned, maybe there is more to the story with your great grandmother. I agree Ukrainian or near Ukraine should yield some Slavic. Does she have a stereotypical Russian surname (my grandfather for example ends in -ov, his mother was -ova)?

I also agree the lack of Central Asian in your case is confusing, leading me to believe that MyHeritage is not a very good test to base your papertrail on. What is the country distribution of your DNA matches? Also, what are your closest matches' ethnicity breakdowns? In my case, I am missing Scandinavian in my results, but Denmark and Sweden yield both close matches and quantity of matches many with 100% Scandinavian in their results.

One thing to keep in mind with these tests, I feel that the more admixed a person is, the less accurate these tests become. 23andMe has been most accurate for me. AncestryDNA has had problems separating German from French and Danish from Germanic or Scandinavian, in my case.

I'm glad you said this because I've had my suspicion about admixed people actually not being that well-served by a lot of the testing companies out there. I agree that the 23andme results actually make the most sense for your grandfather.
    The reason why I was motivated to do the test was the very bad and unsatisfying paper trail I have for my family. My great-grandmothers original surname was never recorded. She came as a child (possibly as a refugee which made me think she was a Tatar or some other ethnic minority) with her family and her birthplace was retroactively just put down as "Russia". The only recorded name was her married one because that is the one her husband chose after the surname law.
    No matter what ethnic group she was from, there should be some Baltic, Eastern Euro and/or Central Asian. My guess was always that she was more slavic because of the was she and her children looked.

Interestingly there is not a lot of matches for me or my mother. The closest matches aren't super close either.
    We both match a lot of Cypriots - mainly because her maternal grandfather was a Cypriot and they tend to live in England and are more likely to use these services. Then there are a lot of English matches (they share some Greek and Ashkenazi ancestry with us). And then there are a lot of Scandinavians, some of which share some of my mothers ethnicities and others have no matching ethnicities at all.
    I just convinced a family member to have my great-uncle tested. Maybe there is some Scandinavian ancestry there which would probably fit with the results of many Russians/Ukrainians.

I also just noticed that your grandfather has some Southeast Asian results. My mother got some tiny Chinese/Vietnamese – maybe that could be Central Asian or Saami in both cases?

edit: I actually found quite a few Russian matches. They aren't very close but there is enough of them to make me think that it's significant
    Last edited by Suri; 12-04-2019 at 11:35 PM.