Thread: Substantial Paleolithic European admixture in West Africans: is it possible?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Puerto Rico Cuba

Substantial Paleolithic European admixture in West Africans: is it possible?

It seems that the % of Neanderthal ancestry has decreased from 3-6% to 2% in Eurasia (source), and this is somewhat surprising, even considering that a big proportion of the introgressed Neanderthal DNA segments in humans are slightly deleterious.

A study explored this issue in depth and found an alternative (and perhaps more plausible) explanation: instead of this dramatic decrease in Neanderthal ancestry what really happens is that present-day West Africans carry moderate amounts (10%?) of European-related ancestry.

In conclusion: Neanderthal ancestry has not decreased in West Eurasia over the last 45,000 years; instead, it has gradually increased in Sub-Saharan Africa over the last 20,000 years due to gene flow from W. Eurasia.

I am not aware if there are studies that support substantial European-related ancestry in West Africans. Is there any data that suggests this migration from W. Eurasia into Africa actually took place?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    mtDNA (M)
    L3i2

Somalia
    West Africans have 12% Iberomaurasian DNA, that's where their neanderthal DNA comes from.
    Last edited by sum1; 12-02-2019 at 07:55 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sum1 For This Useful Post:

Milkyway (12-03-2019),  NetNomad (12-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Puerto Rico Cuba
    Quote Originally Posted by sum1 View Post
    West Africans have 12% Iberomaurasian DNA, that's where their neanderthal DNA comes from.
    I guess that this means Iberomaurisians are directly related to West Eurasians and migrated at some point from Eurasia into Africa (it makes sense considering that mtDNA haplogroups like U6 suggests that a back-to-Africa migration occurred at some point).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    mtDNA (M)
    L3i2

Somalia
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkyway View Post
    I guess that this means Iberomaurisians are directly related to West Eurasians and migrated at some point from Eurasia into Africa (it makes sense considering that mtDNA haplogroups like U6 suggests that a back-to-Africa migration occurred at some point).
    N8IZ5Oc.png

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/bior...23079.full.pdf

Iberomaurisians are a mixture of Dzudzuana and an unknown African population named Ancestral North Africans. At some point, they mixed with the ancestors of Niger-Congo peoples.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sum1 For This Useful Post:

hel (12-04-2019),  Milkyway (12-03-2019)

Yes possible through northern african migrations.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nebro For This Useful Post:

Milkyway (12-04-2019)