Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S1990
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c2

United States of America England Scotland Denmark

Ethnicity estimates that doen't add up to 100%

I was looking at the ethnicity estimates of some of my distant cousins on Ancestry this morning when I came across something I've never seen before...someone whose ethnicity estimate adds up to just 72%. I've seen 99% before, but never anything like this. Anybody ever seen this, or have an explanation? Thanks, Stan

ethnicity estimates.png
    Interesting factoid: My user name, Stone Meadow, is a translation of my Old English given name, Hidden Content .
    Known Paper Trail: Paternal line emigrated from England in 1667. Maternal (Patrilineal) line emigrated from Scotland in 1648.
    Y Haplogroup: I1>M253>DF29>Z58>Z59>Z60>Z140>Z2535>YSC0000261>S19 90 [FTDNA Big Y-700 batched 11/11/2019 in batch 1022]
    mtHaplogroup: H1c2 [FTDNA FMS completed 11/15/2019]

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Puerto Rico Cuba
    It may be Unassigned DNA. 23andme say this about unassigned or broadly assigned DNA:

The Ancestry Composition feature has the ability to assign pieces of your DNA at several geographic scales. This is important because DNA varies in where it is found in the world. One piece of DNA might be found just in, say, Finnish people, so we can with some confidence call this DNA Finnish. Another piece of DNA might be found with some frequency in England, Norway and Germany. Instead of choosing arbitrarily from among these regions, Ancestry Composition will label DNA like that “Broadly Northern European."

If a piece of DNA is found all over Europe, like in Ireland, Italy, Spain, and Poland, but not outside Europe, Ancestry Composition will label that DNA “Broadly European."

Finally, when Ancestry Composition encounters DNA that is very widespread, like a piece of DNA that’s found in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia, it will label that DNA “Unassigned.”

So in your cousin's case, it seems that the remaining 28% is found in various continents. I've never seen this, either.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Milkyway For This Useful Post:

Stone Meadow (12-15-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Irish Sea
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Meadow View Post
    I was looking at the ethnicity estimates of some of my distant cousins on Ancestry this morning when I came across something I've never seen before...someone whose ethnicity estimate adds up to just 72%. I've seen 99% before, but never anything like this. Anybody ever seen this, or have an explanation? Thanks, Stan

ethnicity estimates.png
    I think it's only showing ethnicities that you have in common. The others are hidden from you.

Edit: there's an option in the privacy section to hide non-matching ethnicities. I just checked.
    Last edited by JonikW; 12-15-2019 at 11:18 PM.
    Living DNA's former Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,250 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (12-15-2019),  msmarjoribanks (12-16-2019),  sktibo (12-17-2019),  Stone Meadow (12-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    English & Scottish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S1990
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c2

Thank you, Milkyway. Ancestry does have similar terms what you describe. In fact, there is one in the estimate: Northwestern Europe. Like me, she is fair hair and pale skin, and if you met her on any street from Scandinavia through the Low Countries and NW France to the UK and Ireland you would assume she is a native. There is nothing known about her heritage to suggest origins other than NW Europe and the British Isles. I have another cousin with a more diverse look and genetics, and it's reflected in her ethnicity estimate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Interesting factoid: My user name, Stone Meadow, is a translation of my Old English given name, Hidden Content .
    Known Paper Trail: Paternal line emigrated from England in 1667. Maternal (Patrilineal) line emigrated from Scotland in 1648.
    Y Haplogroup: I1>M253>DF29>Z58>Z59>Z60>Z140>Z2535>YSC0000261>S19 90 [FTDNA Big Y-700 batched 11/11/2019 in batch 1022]

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    English & Scottish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S1990
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c2

Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    I think it's only showing ethnicities that you have in common. The others are hidden from you.

Edit: there's an option in the privacy section to hide non-matching ethnicities. I just checked.
    Thanks. I double-checked and have the "Your DNA matches can see your full ethnic regions and Genetic Communities™." option checked.

Ah...on second thought maybe SHE has this box checked, "Your DNA matches can only see the portion of your ethnic regions and Genetic Communities™ they have in common with you."

So if she is, say 28% "Germanic European" I would not be able to see that, since I have no Germanic genetic component.

I think the mystery is solved. Thank you, JonikW!
    Last edited by Stone Meadow; 12-15-2019 at 11:53 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stone Meadow For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-16-2019),  JonikW (12-16-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Irish Sea
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Meadow View Post
    Thanks. I double-checked and have the "Your DNA matches can see your full ethnic regions and Genetic Communities™." option checked.
    No worries. You have it checked and I've done the same. But some of my matches have chosen not to, so I can only see part of their total estimates just like your example above.
    Living DNA's former Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,250 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

Stone Meadow (12-16-2019)