Thread: Slavic DNA in Spain

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M183

Slavic DNA in Spain

I have seen several spanish individuals on myheritage with up to 5% eastern European.

In my case I get about 3.5% eastern European on myheritage and 5.5% north slavic on DNA land.

Eurogenes K36 gives me these eastern percentages:

Central_Euro 5.65 Pct
    East_African -
    East_Asian -
    East_Balkan 3.53 Pct
    East_Central_Asian -
    East_Central_Euro 2.25 Pct
    East_Med 3.30 Pct
    Eastern_Euro 1.67

Also Italian 11.9 Pct

Do you think these 'eastern' numbers are just noise? As far as I know all my 4 grandparents are Spanish.
    Last edited by Ibericus; 12-18-2019 at 07:17 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ibericus For This Useful Post:

mihaitzateo (12-19-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Are you descended from the man commonly known as Christopher Columbus? According to one Portuguese researcher who spent decades on the issue, "Columbus" was actually the son of an exiled Polish-Lithuanian king.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese highlander
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y31991>FT17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H20 (xH20a)

Asturias Galicia Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ PortugalRoyalFlag1830
    Welcome, there is a Spanish section here, you might want to ask there.

About your results, part of the issue is MyHeritage and how bizarre their results are. In K36 that's pretty normal, as is in the better K13 and K15
    YDNA E-Y31991>PF4428>Y134097>Y134104>Y168273>FT17866 (TMRCA ~1100AD) - Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1690 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal - Stonemason, miller.
    mtDNA H20 - Monica Vieira, b. circa 1700 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Hidden Content
    Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.6007"

Ruderico

NW_Iberia_IA,80.4
    Berber_EMA,11
    Roman_Colonial,8.6

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M183

Quote Originally Posted by Ruderico View Post
    Welcome, there is a Spanish section here, you might want to ask there.
    Thanks, Ruderico. I will definitely explore that section.

Registered Users
    Sex

My Heritage is sketchy with results but there were a good number of Slavs in medieval Spain as slaves, soldiers and eunuchs, called Saqaliba (just means Slavs).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M183

I found this on Eupedia:

The Visigothic Kingdom was the larger and longer lived than the Suebi Kingdom, and yet the Goths do not seem to have had any significant genetic impact on the Iberian population - at least not in terms of Germanic Y-DNA. The reason might simply be that they were no longer a predominantly Germanic tribe. After all, the Goths had lived for many centuries in Eastern Europe and nearly two more centuries in the Balkans before invading Italy, Gaul and Iberia. They could have assimilated a lot of non-Germanic people on the way, notably R1a and I2a1b Slavs and predominantly E1b1b, I2a1b and J2 Balkanic people. It would be pretty complicated at the moment to untangle the Balkanic E1b1b and J2 from all the others (Neolithic, Phoenician, Greek, Roman, Jewish, Arabic) found in Iberia. But it is remarkably easy to check the Eastern European I2a1b (M423) and R1a (M458 and Z280). No historical migration could account for Slavic haplogroups in Iberia apart from the East European populations assimilated by the Goths before the 4th century. The I2a Project at FTDNA has three M423-Dinaric-N and one M423-Isles-B2 from Spain, while the R1a1a and Subclades Y-DNA Project has four Spanish Z280 (CTS1211+) members

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibericus For This Useful Post:

jstephan (12-19-2019),  leonardo (12-19-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b2a1b (A6105)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1b3

Canada Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibericus View Post
    I found this on Eupedia:

The Visigothic Kingdom was the larger and longer lived than the Suebi Kingdom, and yet the Goths do not seem to have had any significant genetic impact on the Iberian population - at least not in terms of Germanic Y-DNA. The reason might simply be that they were no longer a predominantly Germanic tribe. After all, the Goths had lived for many centuries in Eastern Europe and nearly two more centuries in the Balkans before invading Italy, Gaul and Iberia. They could have assimilated a lot of non-Germanic people on the way, notably R1a and I2a1b Slavs and predominantly E1b1b, I2a1b and J2 Balkanic people. It would be pretty complicated at the moment to untangle the Balkanic E1b1b and J2 from all the others (Neolithic, Phoenician, Greek, Roman, Jewish, Arabic) found in Iberia. But it is remarkably easy to check the Eastern European I2a1b (M423) and R1a (M458 and Z280). No historical migration could account for Slavic haplogroups in Iberia apart from the East European populations assimilated by the Goths before the 4th century. The I2a Project at FTDNA has three M423-Dinaric-N and one M423-Isles-B2 from Spain, while the R1a1a and Subclades Y-DNA Project has four Spanish Z280 (CTS1211+) members
    During the Byzantine reconquista of Greece and some of the Balkans esp. in the 7th and 8th cs a great number of Slavs were captured and sold into slavery from Thessaloniki. Some undoubtedly must have wound up in Spain (and elsewhere)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

leonardo (12-19-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y22889
    mtDNA (M)
    H3-T152C!

Spain Andalucia Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    During the Byzantine reconquista of Greece and some of the Balkans esp. in the 7th and 8th cs a great number of Slavs were captured and sold into slavery from Thessaloniki. Some undoubtedly must have wound up in Spain (and elsewhere)
    We know from recent ancient remain analysis that Visigoths (by the time they arrived to Spain) had a very important Balkan admixture. I think they could explain why Spaniards score a small but significant amount on categories associated to Balkan people.

But we also have the Saqalibah indeed as an explanation.
    Last edited by Shadogowah; 12-19-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    Do you have a question or topic about genetics in Spain and/or prefer to use Spanish language? Visit the new subforum!

Hidden Content

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shadogowah For This Useful Post:

DgidguBidgu (06-14-2020),  NixYO (12-20-2019),  Ruderico (12-19-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian

Bulgaria
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    The influx continues much later, at one point slaves made up to 1/3 of the population of Mallorca. Having offspring with the slave women was commonplace,like on Crete and so was the granted freedom after some years served by their masters.Russians,Balkan Slavs etc.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese highlander
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y31991>FT17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H20 (xH20a)

Asturias Galicia Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ PortugalRoyalFlag1830
    Quote Originally Posted by td120 View Post
    The influx continues much later, at one point slaves made up to 1/3 of the population of Mallorca. Having offspring with the slave women was commonplace,like on Crete and so was the granted freedom after some years served by their masters.Russians,Balkan Slavs etc.
    I'm not sure of those figures, but for what is worth people from the Balearic islands do seem more Mediterranean than most in continental Spain, at least those available in G25. There's other explanations though.
    YDNA E-Y31991>PF4428>Y134097>Y134104>Y168273>FT17866 (TMRCA ~1100AD) - Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1690 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal - Stonemason, miller.
    mtDNA H20 - Monica Vieira, b. circa 1700 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Hidden Content
    Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.6007"

Ruderico

NW_Iberia_IA,80.4
    Berber_EMA,11
    Roman_Colonial,8.6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast