Thread: Are two matches at the EXACT same position likely to be IBC?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M183

Are two matches at the EXACT same position likely to be IBC?

I have two 7.3 cM matches at the exact same position on chromosome X: One mesures 558 SNPs while the other mesures 463 SNPs, but they both start and end at the EXACT same positions. The first one is a male and the second is a female, with whom I also share 10.7 cM (313 SNPs) autosomal.

Should I just disregard this X matches? Or can I safely assume that these people belong to my mother's side of the family?

BTW, I am a male.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ibericus; 01-01-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-CTS4803*

My father got on MyHeritage Scandinavian matches with 7 or 8 CM segments, that I consider to be older than 900 years ago, because the presence of my paternal lineage is attested in South Europe since the 12th century (Anglo-Norman colony in Tortosa), and since then no more admixture with North European populations has occurred.

But the number of shared SNP's was something like 2000 per 7 CM segment, which counterbalanced the shortness of the DNA segment.

On GedMatch my father got a match with an archaic DNA from Sweden: 2500 or 3000 years ago, 7 CM but only 200 shared SNP.

So at first glance I would say that under 1000 shared SNP and with a 7 CM segment you are no more sure to be within the historical timeframe (maybe the anthropological timeframe) or it could be a false positive.

I hope to find one day a serious statistical study about the IBD shared segment size and shared SNP number distribution according to the TMRCA.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phil1973 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (01-02-2020)