Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: MyHeritage More Accurate Than 23andme?

  1. #1

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aiden For This Useful Post:

     dosas (07-19-2020)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    66
    Sex
    Location
    New Zealand
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish/Chinese
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA (P)
    O1b1a (Chinese)
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1g1

    New Zealand England China Scotland Ireland Northern Ireland
    I don't think you can say any company is more accurate for everyone, I know most say that 23andMe is the most accurate. For me it's not,

    The accuracy for my results (if I'm comparing against my paper trail) for each company would be as follows:

    1. LivingDNA (although I'm predominantly British/Irish)
    2. Global25
    3. Family Tree DNA
    4. 23andMe
    5. Ethnogene
    6. Myheritage/Ancestry DNA.

    Personally I glean from each company different parts and together it provides an overview which gives me a rough idea to validate my family tree research, which I've been doing for about 15 years. I think the problem is companies don't tell you how long ago you're meant to have had these relatives. For example, I get between 5-10% (per update) Scandanavian from AncestryDNA and have no known Scandanavian ancestry (i.e within the lst 200 years). So if they claim it's Viking,Saxons, Jutes etc it's very likely but the trouble I have is assessing what time period criteria they have assumed.
    PAPER: England 52% - Ireland 11% - Northern Ireland 6% - Scotland 6% - South China 25%

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelliedsoup For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (01-09-2020),  JonikW (01-09-2020)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    97
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by jelliedsoup View Post
    I don't think you can say any company is more accurate for everyone, I know most say that 23andMe is the most accurate. For me it's not,

    The accuracy for my results (if I'm comparing against my paper trail) for each company would be as follows:

    1. LivingDNA (although I'm predominantly British/Irish)
    2. Global25
    3. Family Tree DNA
    4. 23andMe
    5. Ethnogene
    6. Myheritage/Ancestry DNA.

    Personally I glean from each company different parts and together it provides an overview which gives me a rough idea to validate my family tree research, which I've been doing for about 15 years. I think the problem is companies don't tell you how long ago you're meant to have had these relatives. For example, I get between 5-10% (per update) Scandanavian from AncestryDNA and have no known Scandanavian ancestry (i.e within the lst 200 years). So if they claim it's Viking,Saxons, Jutes etc it's very likely but the trouble I have is assessing what time period criteria they have assumed.
    I tested with 23andme, I found their “broadly” categories annoying, if you don’t have enough confidence to correctly assign ancestry to an individual, then you are severely lacking in reference populations which 23andme is. not to mention the political correctness and euphemisms used. In the video posted above, a Greek Cypriot was called “Western Asian” by 23andme which is absurd. They also call Jews “european”, which is offensive. 23andme just doesn’t seem reliable.
    Last edited by Aiden; 01-08-2020 at 11:39 PM.

  6. #4
    Global Moderator
    Posts
    3,112
    Sex
    Location
    Beira Douro
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese highlander
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y31991>FT17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H20 (xH20a)

    Asturias Galicia Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ PortugalRoyalFlag1830
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    They also call Jews “european”, which is offensive.
    Why would you be offended by that?
    YDNA E-Y31991>PF4428>Y134097>Y134104>Y168273>FT17866 (TMRCA ~800AD) - Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1690 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal - Stonemason, miller.
    mtDNA H20 - Monica Vieira, b. circa 1700 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

    Hidden Content
    Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content

    [1] "distance%=1.6023"

    Ruderico

    Iberia_IA+Hallstatt,82.2
    Berber_EMA,10
    Rome_Imperial,7
    Levant_Roman,0.8

  7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

     Caius Agrippa (01-29-2020),  Cascio (01-09-2020),  euromutt (01-09-2020),  FionnSneachta (01-09-2020),  Jessie (01-10-2020),  Milkyway (02-02-2020),  msmarjoribanks (01-10-2020),  sum1 (04-13-2020)

  8. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,048
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    In my case I seriously doubt it because in my ethnicity estimate (from Ancestrydna data upload) they have me at 24% NW Euro, I mean seriously wtf.
    Also only 2.3% East Euro. 12.5% Baltic and 57% Balkan.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to oz For This Useful Post:

     LePrieur (01-29-2020)

  10. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    83
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian, German/British
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    N-Y17696 YSEQ
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e1a

    In my case, 23andMe was much better than MH.

    23andMe actually picked out Germany and Hungary as my ancestral countries, and split me between the two evenly. Nothing else has come close to pulling that trick.

  11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

     Green fairy (07-30-2020),  JMcB (01-09-2020),  JonikW (01-09-2020),  Riverman (07-20-2020),  Ruderico (01-09-2020),  Seabass (02-15-2020)

  12. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    97
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruderico View Post
    Why would you be offended by that?
    I know many Jewish people who are offended by their results implying that they are european. Considering the Holocaust and Germany under Nazism, it’s pretty offensive. Jewish people have genetic heritage to the Levant, Israel, which 23andme and AncestryDNA just sweep under the rug

  13. #8
    Global Moderator
    Posts
    3,112
    Sex
    Location
    Beira Douro
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese highlander
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y31991>FT17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H20 (xH20a)

    Asturias Galicia Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ PortugalRoyalFlag1830
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    I know many Jewish people who are offended by their results implying that they are european. Considering the Holocaust and Germany under Nazism, it’s pretty offensive. Jewish people have genetic heritage to the Levant, Israel, which 23andme and AncestryDNA just sweep under the rug
    It's merely a label, I haven't seen a single AJ who's offended by this. Actually, considering I've seen many who score 90%+ AJ, those seemed really happy about it.
    YDNA E-Y31991>PF4428>Y134097>Y134104>Y168273>FT17866 (TMRCA ~800AD) - Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1690 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal - Stonemason, miller.
    mtDNA H20 - Monica Vieira, b. circa 1700 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

    Hidden Content
    Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content

    [1] "distance%=1.6023"

    Ruderico

    Iberia_IA+Hallstatt,82.2
    Berber_EMA,10
    Rome_Imperial,7
    Levant_Roman,0.8

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

     Cascio (01-09-2020)

  15. #9
    Moderator
    Posts
    983
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

    England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruderico View Post
    It's merely a label, I haven't seen a single AJ who's offended by this. Actually, considering I've seen many who score 90%+ AJ, those seemed really happy about it.
    I don't think it's offensive, but it can be misleading in the current cultural and political context. It's not a problem for well-read people who know that labelling Ashkenazi ancestry as "European" doesn't mean they don't have a substantial percentage of DNA originating in the Levant, but considering that there are many who deny that "European" Jewish populations have any connection whatsoever to the Levant, the issue can be a bit touchy. For me, personally, I like FTDNA's approach of labelling the Jewish Diaspora as a separate regional category, thereby acknowledging its hybridity, although one might argue that all genetic profiles are necessarily hybrid in nature.

  16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

     Cascio (01-09-2020),  dosas (01-09-2020),  euromutt (01-09-2020),  Greekscholar (01-09-2020),  hartaisarlag (01-09-2020),  jonahst (01-09-2020),  Ruderico (01-09-2020),  Seabass (01-29-2020)

  17. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    441
    Sex
    Location
    Barcelona
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Nationality
    España
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1a1-Z6015
    mtDNA (M)
    HV

    Spain Spain Extremadura
    The Ashkenazi are of European origin that is to say that they have traditionally belonged to Europe (Central-Europe specifically) and have been defined as such. If there was a "gypsy" category, I would also put it into Europe for the same reason. This does not exclude that they have mostly external inheritance.

    If we talked about "Jew" without more then it would be Levantine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2020, 09:09 AM
  2. 23andme or myheritage dna AC
    By Ahmed Hirad in forum MyHeritage
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-06-2018, 01:05 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-14-2018, 08:51 PM
  4. Replies: 59
    Last Post: 10-06-2017, 11:12 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 07:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •