Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MyHeritage More Accurate Than 23andme?

Registered Users
    Sex

The ability to precise a region in a country, and giving haplogroups are two good points for 23andMe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Maziw For This Useful Post:

Ayetooey (02-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    WHG + EEF + STEPPE
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1

Serbia Croatia Split-Dalmatia England Scotland France Greece
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    23andme is significantly better at the moment. Though Myheritage is doing a big update this year so we'll have to see how that goes.
    On this note. My mothers kit has been in "genotyping" for almost 3 weeks. 23andme's response is that it could take up to 2-3 weeks longer. This stage usually takes 3-10 days. If there's something wrong with the kit I'd rather them just fail it since I've also purchased Ancestry anyway. But it seems more like a processing issue. Disappointing service either way.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Euro/Asian/SSA
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O-F1399
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1

Madagascar Pakistan Spain Mauritius France China
    MyHeritage is almost a gimmick for most people, 23andMe is miles better and far more reliable in general
    Using 3 populations approximation:
    1 50% Kalash +25% Cambodian +25% Somali @ 7.729511

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

23andme seems to be the best company out there, the only test being capable of telling you specific regions within countries rather than just general and often misleading references. One can maybe criticize in which clusters they include specific ethnic groups, but they seem to be very reliable in detecting recent ancestry for most people, something we can't say about pretty much all other tests.

If a test calls X an Y and not X with the excuse that X is similar to Y so it's hard to separate, then it's not a good test.
    Ancestry (paper trail): Portuguese/Spanish (62%), Italian (28%), Black (6-7%), Swiss (3%), Amerindian (2%).
    Results average (FTDNA/MyHeritage/LivingDNA etc): 50% Iberian, 20% Italian, 10% Northern European/Eastern European/Central European, 10% MENA, 8% Black, 2% Native American.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian, German, Slav
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

Italy Germany Poland Brazil Rio Grande do Sul Brazil
    23andme is more reliable and accurate, in my experience.

MyHeritage can be useful for the matches, but their ethnicity estimates should be taken with a grain of salt. Let's hope they deliver the promised update this year.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly NW European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L210
    mtDNA (M)
    W5a2b

United States of America England France Germany Ireland Scotland
    I’m looking forward to Myheritage update. For me anyway, they are way off in the 15% Italian. I have no Finnish ancestry that I know of. But I could maybe consider that Northwest European. My known paper trail is 50% British/Irish, 25% French, almost that much German, some distant Dutch, Belgian and Swiss, one First Nations and one Italian ancestor born in Tuscany circa 1700. All my ancestors have been in North America since before 1776. Except one German man who came over 200 years ago. 23andme did pretty well with their last update.

ECCB7624-1672-462C-891B-820059EAEFE7.jpegD828B3CD-0B45-448A-B855-A057A8C93CA7.jpeg

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stefanie For This Useful Post:

Ruderico (04-11-2020),  Saetro (04-13-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I’m looking forward to Myheritage update. For me anyway, they are way off in the 15% Italian. I have no Finnish ancestry that I know of. But I could maybe consider that Northwest European. My known paper trail is 50% British/Irish, 25% French, almost that much German, some distant Dutch, Belgian and Swiss, one First Nations and one Italian ancestor born in Tuscany circa 1700. All my ancestors have been in North America since before 1776. Except one German man who came over 200 years ago. 23andme did pretty well with their last update.

ECCB7624-1672-462C-891B-820059EAEFE7.jpegD828B3CD-0B45-448A-B855-A057A8C93CA7.jpeg
    Similarly, I now have identified DNA matches for 14 of my 16 great great grandparental lines.
    All back in the home countries across the seas.
    And one of the others has a heap of matches from the region my paper researches say that line came from, but no identifiable connection yet.
    Each of these lines represents on average 6.25% of my DNA ethnicity, which is around the limit of error for most ethnicity estimates.
    And this approach has me back to the individual province, county or even town in those home countries.

With a lot of family testing I should be able to reconstruct parental genomes and maybe even work on a grandparent.
    That is when I will need those ethnicity estimates again. Perhaps.
    Now that I think about it, the history of one of those 4 regions from which my grandparents lines originated is very stable for another 25 generations.
    But the other 3 had some turmoil not too far back and could be interesting. Perhaps.
    Even then, some of my paper researches suggest that most of the contributing lines for at least 2 of those lines PROBABLY came from the same region, (or nearby regions that ethnicity estimates have been unable to differentiate), so I might be unlikely to pick up the few different ones via DNA ethnicity, but if I can I should focus on that 4th grandparent. Worth a go, though. Time on my hands at present, and all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Stefanie (04-13-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly NW European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L210
    mtDNA (M)
    W5a2b

United States of America England France Germany Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    Similarly, I now have identified DNA matches for 14 of my 16 great great grandparental lines.
    All back in the home countries across the seas.
    And one of the others has a heap of matches from the region my paper researches say that line came from, but no identifiable connection yet.
    Each of these lines represents on average 6.25% of my DNA ethnicity, which is around the limit of error for most ethnicity estimates.
    And this approach has me back to the individual province, county or even town in those home countries.

With a lot of family testing I should be able to reconstruct parental genomes and maybe even work on a grandparent.
    That is when I will need those ethnicity estimates again. Perhaps.
    Now that I think about it, the history of one of those 4 regions from which my grandparents lines originated is very stable for another 25 generations.
    But the other 3 had some turmoil not too far back and could be interesting. Perhaps.
    Even then, some of my paper researches suggest that most of the contributing lines for at least 2 of those lines PROBABLY came from the same region, (or nearby regions that ethnicity estimates have been unable to differentiate), so I might be unlikely to pick up the few different ones via DNA ethnicity, but if I can I should focus on that 4th grandparent. Worth a go, though. Time on my hands at present, and all.
    Ha. I usually have more time than most on my hands. This can get addicting. My 50% British/Irish is based mostly on where and when in America those ancestors showed up. And sometimes the names. Of all my ancestors those who fall into the B/I category have been the most elusive document wise. At least before America. But I recently found a document saying one ancestor was born in Scotland. And I even found several from the Hampshire area of England. Other than that, evidence has been hard to come by. Most of my French I have well documented. Same with the other northwest European countries. I know who my First Nations ancestor is, though she’s only known as “Unknown Doucet “ who was baptised into the Catholic Church and was later called Marie LeJeune. She married a LeJeune. He was French Acadian. I found my Italian ancestor tracing a French Creole ancestor. Most DNA tests calls everything British/Irish for me. My brother tested as well at 23andme. He does get more French/German than I do. And that seems to show in our matches too. We have a maternal grandmother from Louisiana French/Acadian background. He matches more relatives from her line than I do. Or he matches those relatives “closer” than I do. Just as I match relatives from my mostly British Irish descended maternal grandfather more or closer than he does. Kind of neat to see dna in action so to speak. Yes, it is random but it is not zero as some tests say. Lol. I still have a lot of unsolved questions, no matter how large my tree is getting. But I enjoy the hunt. Good luck with yours.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-Z17954>Z17926
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e1a

France Germany
    My MyHeritage composition is absolutely ridiculous!
    FTDNA => 67 % West and Central Europe - 18 % South Europe - 14 % East Europe - < 1 % North and Central America

V2 K15 (Average France) => North Sea : 27.46 (28.25) - Atlantic : 21.26 (26.05) - West Med : 19.05 (15.53) - Baltic : 9.17 (8.22) - Eastern Euro : 8.80 (6.32) - West Asian : 6.31 (4.66) - East Med : 4.85 (6.72) - Red Sea : 2.08 (2.83) - Amerindian : 1.02 (0.20)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The_Lyonnist For This Useful Post:

Cascio (04-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German, Polish/Lithuanian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S17250
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f

My Heritage is the first company I ever did a test with, and I was very disappointed. My wife is from the Andes, and I tested our daughter, mainly excited to know her indigenous-to-Iberian ratio. Well, instead of telling us that, they told us she was Central American, which is their term for current Latin Americans. I have no idea how-and-why they took her Iberian and indigenous and decided to make them into one. There is absolutely no point to that. It was a total waste. What Latin American would want to get a result that says "Latin American"? Plus, why would My Heritage automatically assume that having Iberian and indigenous DNA means someone is Latin American? Someone can have a mother from Spain and a father from the Amazonas. So it isn't helpful and isn't necessarily accurate to classify indigenous-Iberian mixes as Latin American. Last but not least, they gave her 67% Latin American!!! Paternity has been confirmed, and I'm a mix of northwestern Euro and Slav/Balt. She could not have more than 50% Latin/Iberian/indigenous...

I didn't test her ditrectly at 23, but I tested her at Ancestry, and then uploaded her raw to 23andMe (the unprecedented upload was offered free for a short time a couple years ago), DNA Land and We Gene. They all had her 40%-42% native/east Asian. Of course they were using the same raw data, but it was still impressive, especially when I later tested my wife at Ancestry and she came back 83% indigenous.

Also, my Ancestry came back 22% Baltic + 15% eastern Euro =37%, and my 23 (tested directly) came back 37% eastern Euro (they do no have a separate category for Baltics).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast