Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High-resolution inference of genetic relationships among Jewish populations

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-PF4074

United States of America

High-resolution inference of genetic relationships among Jewish populations

High-resolution inference of genetic relationships among Jewish populations | European Journal of Human Genetics

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41431-019-0542-y

Abstract
    Recent studies have used genome-wide single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) to investigate relationships among various
    Jewish populations and their non-Jewish historical neighbors, often focusing on small subsets of populations from a limited
    geographic range or relatively small samples within populations. Here, building on the significant progress that has emerged
    from genomic SNP studies in the placement of Jewish populations in relation to non-Jewish populations, we focus on
    population structure among Jewish populations. In particular, we examine Jewish population-genetic structure in samples
    that span much of the historical range of Jewish populations in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, and South Asia.
    Combining 429 newly genotyped samples from 29 Jewish and 3 non-Jewish populations with previously reported genotypes
    on Jewish and non-Jewish populations, we investigate variation in 2789 individuals from 114 populations at 486,592
    genome-wide autosomal SNPs. Using multidimensional scaling analysis, unsupervised model-based clustering, and
    population trees, we find that, genetically, most Jewish samples fall into four major clusters that largely represent four
    culturally defined groupings, namely the Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, North African, and Sephardi subdivisions of the Jewish
    population. We detect high-resolution population structure, including separation of the Ashkenazi and Sephardi groups and
    distinctions among populations within the Mizrahi and North African groups. Our results refine knowledge of Jewish
    population-genetic structure and contribute to a growing understanding of the distinctive genetic ancestry evident in closely
    related but historically separate Jewish communities.

Note: Paper available on Sci-hub

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to grumpydaddybear For This Useful Post:

Andrewid (02-02-2020),  evon (01-10-2020),  John Doe (01-10-2020),  jonahst (01-10-2020),  passenger (01-10-2020),  Principe (01-11-2020),  Seabass (01-10-2020),  StillWater (01-10-2020),  Táltos (01-13-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L210
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c7a
    mtDNA (P)
    HV1b2

Israel Jerusalem
    Who ever gets me access to this paper becomes an honorary Litvak.
    הִנְנִי֩ מֵבִ֨יא אוֹתָ֜ם מֵאֶ֣רֶץ צָפ֗וֹן

Jeremiah 31

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

John Doe (01-10-2020),  Principe (01-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by StillWater View Post

I'm of partial Litvak descent anyway, but you can throw more points my way.
    Last edited by Táltos; 01-13-2020 at 03:08 AM. Reason: removed link

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

grumpydaddybear (01-10-2020),  jetshop (01-10-2020),  John Doe (01-10-2020),  Principe (01-11-2020),  Seabass (01-10-2020),  StillWater (01-10-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-PF4074

United States of America

I would PM it to you, but I couldn't find the way to attach files...
    Last edited by Táltos; 01-13-2020 at 03:09 AM. Reason: removed link

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpydaddybear For This Useful Post:

Principe (01-11-2020),  StillWater (01-10-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    It's an interesting report, but some of the nomenclature they use for Jewish subdivisions highlights what I suspect to be a common problem among scientific researchers, which is a lack of attention to historical research. For instance, they seem to treat Mediterranean Jewish groups as distinct entities, rather than as part of a Sephardic continuum, wherein Iberian Jews and their descendants may have a greater or lesser expression depending on their prevalence over older local Jewish populations and/or relative newcomers from other regions. "Sephardim" are not just Eastern Sephardim, and Eastern Sephardim, while clearly different, are not a discrete entity from North African Jews. They also are clearly not wholly descended from Iberian Jews, as the article implies.

I'm very curious to know where they got the "Spanish" Jewish samples from and why they seem to plot so closely to Turkish Jews. I rarely hear anything about Spanish Jewish test populations.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

hartaisarlag (01-10-2020),  jonahst (01-10-2020),  Principe (01-11-2020),  StillWater (01-10-2020),  Táltos (01-13-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L210
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c7a
    mtDNA (P)
    HV1b2

Israel Jerusalem
    Notably, some Mizrahi
    individuals clustered with Ashkenazi populations, and vice
    versa, a pattern seen primarily among populations from the
    former Soviet Union and possibly reflecting internal
    migration during the Soviet period.
    Why is StillWater always right?

Jeremiah 31

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

John Doe (01-10-2020),  passenger (01-10-2020),  Principe (01-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L210
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c7a
    mtDNA (P)
    HV1b2

Israel Jerusalem
    Why is StillWater always right?
    Their Soviet explanation is asinine, unless they didn't check their subjects at all. Those with Mizrachi ancestry from the Soviet period will know it. Much better explanations: migration into East Europe when North Caucasus was included into the Pale, later Mizrachi migrations, such as is said about Gomel, and/or due to both Soviet Mizrachim and Soviet Ashkenazim (from their East Knaanic) descent, sharing common Jewish descent from Greek Black Sea colonies.

Jeremiah 31

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

passenger (01-10-2020),  Principe (01-11-2020),  Táltos (01-13-2020),  Targum (01-10-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L210
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c7a
    mtDNA (P)
    HV1b2

Israel Jerusalem
    Their Soviet explanation is retarded, unless they didn't check their subjects at all. Those with Mizrachi ancestry from the Soviet period will know it. Much better explanations: migration into East Europe when North Caucasus was included into the Pale, later Mizrachi migrations, such as is said about Gomel, and/or due to both Soviet Mizrachim and Soviet Ashkenazim (from their East Knaanic) descent, sharing common Jewish descent from Greek Black Sea colonies.
    Mind you, I did post Soviet Ashkenazi Gedmatch samples and pointed out that they have evidence of higher Mizrachi admixture by their West Asian in K13. I think I posted 40-70 samples.

Jeremiah 31

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

Principe (01-11-2020),  Táltos (01-13-2020),  Targum (01-10-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L210
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c7a
    mtDNA (P)
    HV1b2

Israel Jerusalem
    Lol they only used 1 Belarusian Jewish sample in the set. These "Russian Jewish" samples are going to be at least in part, if not mostly, descended from Belarusian Jews (and Eastern Ukrainian Jews)

Jeremiah 31

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

grumpydaddybear (01-11-2020),  Principe (01-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Z36123*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c7a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Y2619 (likely)
    mtDNA (P)
    H7

Mind you, I did post Soviet Ashkenazi Gedmatch samples and pointed out that they have evidence of higher Mizrachi admixture by their West Asian in K13. I think I posted 40-70 samples.
    That’s very different from clustering among Mizrahim, though.
    The clock indicates the moment—but what does eternity indicate?

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hartaisarlag For This Useful Post:

grumpydaddybear (01-11-2020),  jonahst (01-10-2020),  Principe (01-11-2020),  Táltos (01-13-2020)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast