Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27/ZZ12/BY3232
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1d1c P-A2j

Costa Rica Spain France Netherlands United Kingdom Israel

Calling all V7a

A question for all who have tested V7a. Do you have Ashkenazi heritage? Where are your maternal ancestral lands?

My husband is V7a and his maternal side leads to Poland/Russia and 90% or more of the matches were Ashkenazi.

I'm trying to get an idea if this group is mostly exclusive to Jewish heritage or not.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H1b1-T16362C

Norway Sweden Finland Denmark Norway Kven Sami
    I have a predicted 4th cousin (actual 6th cousin) on 23andme who has mtdna V7a. His maternal ancestry is from Norway, and as far as I know not Jewish.

V7a looks to be predominately a Finnish haplogroup, but it is also found in among the Saami and in Russia:

http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_..._sequences.htm

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norman-Seph Jew-Native Am
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27/ZZ12/BY3232
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1d1c P-A2j

My mother in laws matches are about 90% Jewish (Poland, Belarus, Russia, Hungary, Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, Germany) and the rest are Scandinavian. Names that end in Dotter/Son. Finland is very close to Russia, Latvia, Lithuania. I believe they share the same uralic language group no? Her maternal family tree shows mostly Polish and some Russian. I'm just not sure it's origination is Scandinavian though. It could have been the other way around and came from E. Europe?.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H1b1-T16362C

Norway Sweden Finland Denmark Norway Kven Sami
    Quote Originally Posted by favouriteslave View Post
    My mother in laws matches are about 90% Jewish (Poland, Belarus, Russia, Hungary, Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, Germany) and the rest are Scandinavian. Names that end in Dotter/Son. Finland is very close to Russia, Latvia, Lithuania. I believe they share the same uralic language group no? Her maternal family tree shows mostly Polish and some Russian. I'm just not sure it's origination is Scandinavian though. It could have been the other way around and came from E. Europe?.
    Yes, the gene flow could be from Eastern Europe. Of interest, I took a look at Behar(2006) paper: The Matrilineal Ancestry of Ashkenazi Jewry: Portrait of a Recent Founder Event.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1380291/

The data in this paper contained 583 Ashkenazi mtDNA linages. 17 of which belong to Haplogroup V. And 10 of these 17 appears to belong to Haplogroup V7a (based on the HVR-1 results). Countries of origen was primarily Poland and Ukraine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Calamus For This Useful Post:

favouriteslave (08-28-2012)

Sex
    Omitted

YES. I am also in LA. My mom's side are all Jewish, pretty much all Ashkenazi, but my GGgrandmother was born in Swedish Lapland. My DNA Came back in the Haplogroup V, V7a, and V7a1. I always suspected that she was part Saami. Crazy, but I think it's just true! And now that the DNA shows it... My mind comes up with stories. Perhaps her parents? Maybe her father? Her mother's father? I wonder what last names you have in your search. Send me a message. Your post is a year old but here I am a year later with so many questions for you!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norman-Seph Jew-Native Am
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27/ZZ12/BY3232
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1d1c P-A2j

Ezlinus, I sent you a private message about the surnames in her maternal line.

J Man
    Which subclade of haplogroup V dominates among the Saami? Is it V7a?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

basque (08-05-2013)

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R U106> L48> A765
    mtDNA (M)
    V7a

My mother's family came from Berlin and, as far as I know, they are protestant.

Sex

Russian Orthodox

My mother-in-law is V7a but is Russian Orthodox. She came from a village near Yekaterinburg Russia.

Gold Class Member
    Sex

My friend belongs to V7a. His matrilineage is Slovak (Catholic).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast