Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COMPLETELY SHOOK - How reliable IS genealogy?

Sex

United States of America Normandie

COMPLETELY SHOOK - How reliable IS genealogy?

So, a recent DNA find shows that my supposed grandfather was in fact not my actual grandfather (and that my parent (I don't want to specify which) is actually the child of another man than whom they were told.)

This has completely shook my trust in just how accurate 'pedigrees' and family trees/genealogy are and makes me wonder just how often this happens (where a woman has a child and the father is in fact completely someone else than the supposed father.)

I have done my family tree on both sides, some going back several hundreds of years. This changes everything and makes me wonder if I can only really trust the maternal lines (mother's mother, etc) as being accurate. Does anyone have any idea on how common this is in a family tree and how this changes the reliability?

I guess there was a reason why ancient cultures were matrilineal 🤣. Please give your thoughts on this.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dngirl For This Useful Post:

euromutt (01-15-2020),  JMcB (01-15-2020),  Piquerobi (01-15-2020),  Webb (01-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil
    Luckily we now have DNA testing. Cuckoldry is as old as mankind.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Piquerobi For This Useful Post:

dosas (01-15-2020),  LePrieur (01-16-2020),  passenger (01-15-2020),  Webb (01-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152-Z36-A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    Genealogical discoveries like these DO break up the the monotony of winter somewhat.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (01-15-2020),  Piquerobi (01-15-2020),  Webb (01-15-2020)

Sex

United States of America Normandie
    Lol. My question is is it even worth doing your family tree? What is the rate of this? Have there been any studies on the amount of "cuckholdry" in a family tree? Lol

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dngirl For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (01-15-2020),  Webb (01-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Dngirl View Post
    Lol. My question is is it even worth doing your family tree? What is the rate of this? Have there been any studies on the amount of "cuckholdry" in a family tree? Lol
    Here is the latest study on it I am aware of:

https://www.cell.com/current-biology...822(19)31305-3

On this forum, there is this thread about it too:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....648#post621648

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Piquerobi For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-15-2020),  passenger (01-15-2020),  pmokeefe (01-16-2020),  Webb (01-15-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>Z195>FGC23196
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    When I tested at Ancestry three years ago, I discovered three matches that are oopses. I knew about one because this person had previously tested at FTDNA, and she assumed she was the daughter of my dad's one uncle, but ended up being the daughter of my dad's other uncle. Her mother was known to run around with both my grandfather's younger brothers. She shows as a second cousin match, which is correct. I have a match who is the brother of my dad's first cousin's husband, again from the same town as above, but this match is either the son of my grandfather's oldest brother, or the son of my great grandfather, as he comes up as a first cousin match. So he could be a great uncle, which would mean he is the son of my great grandfather, but his mother was closer in age to my grandfather and his brother than my great grandfather. The third is a second cousin match who matches my mom's mother's family and my mother's father's family. Because he matches both my grandparents family and is a second cousin, I assume his mother is the daughter of one of my mom's older brothers. There are three that are old enough to have fathered his mother. One is now dead and the other two are still living.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (01-15-2020),  Dngirl (01-16-2020),  JMcB (01-15-2020),  passenger (01-15-2020),  Piquerobi (01-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Dngirl View Post
    I think it's worth it if you're willing to accept that in genealogy, like History in general, there's always a degree of fiction involved. I guess part of it has to do with how far back the "cuckoldry" - or falsification/misinterpretation of documents, filing error, fanciful oral history, etc. - occurred. It doesn't seem like cuckoldry itself affects a huge percentage of cases, but it only takes one false link to throw off everything down the chain, and if that link is close to the present, the impact is that much greater. DNA testing helps detect wild discrepancies, but who knows what goes undetected? So far my "ethnicities" identified through testing match up pretty nicely with my family history, but that doesn't necessarily tell me that there wasn't any cheating in my family tree - just that it took place fairly long ago and/or was with people whose genetic makeup wasn't too different from the majority of my ancestors.
    Last edited by passenger; 01-15-2020 at 06:16 PM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (01-15-2020),  Dngirl (01-16-2020),  JMcB (01-15-2020),  lgmayka (01-15-2020),  Piquerobi (01-15-2020),  Webb (01-15-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>Z195>FGC23196
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    Is one's sex drive able to be determined through genetics? I suspect in my dad's familiy's cases of the NPEs, it is a combination of high sex drive and lack of self control, but each situation is different I'm sure.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

Piquerobi (01-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Dutch
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152>Z56>Z145
    mtDNA (M)
    W5a2

Netherlands
    For the Netherlands, Larmuseau had done research, the NPE rate was ca. 1% but could reach ca. 5% in the lower urban classes.
    So the average was quite low, but of course a strong factor is the personal situation of your ancestor.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pylsteen For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-15-2020),  Piquerobi (01-15-2020),  Webb (01-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylsteen View Post
    of course a strong factor is the personal situation of your ancestor.
    ^ Indeed. Prince Harry comes to mind! There are many rumours about who his real father would be. They are not unreasonable considering the nature of the relationship of his parents. The same goes to the son of Mia Farrow who after all may not be the son of Woody Allen.
    Last edited by Piquerobi; 01-15-2020 at 07:16 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Piquerobi For This Useful Post:

Webb (01-15-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast