Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Confused, which SNP test do i need to take?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    21
    Sex

    Confused, which SNP test do i need to take?

    I'm a bit confused and don't know which SNP test to choose. To be honest, I don't understand how people are registered in the FTDNA or Yfull tree.
    I have taken a Y-DNA37 test in the past and my haplogroup is J-M172. I would like to know which branch I belong to.

    I have given my STR results to a project manager and he let it investigated by experts and they indicate that I probably belong to this branch: J2a-Y20512-Y30811-BY54002: https://yfull.com/tree/J-BY54002/

    The problem is Y20512 is missing on FTDNA haplo tree list and Y30811 + BY54002 isnt direct available for testing (need YDNA67 for it).

    So what is the best i can do? Which SNP test?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,718
    Sex

    YFull's J-BY54002 clade lists several tree-equivalent SNPs, including Y107644. Yseq has an inexpensive test for Y107644. (Yseq is entirely separate from FTDNA, but was founded by former FTDNA scientists. Yseq would require a fresh DNA sample.) If you feel that such a specific test poses too much risk for failure, you could order the more general J2a-M67 Panel, or even the most general J2-M172 Superclade Panel.

  3. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    21
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    YFull's J-BY54002 clade lists several tree-equivalent SNPs, including Y107644. Yseq has an inexpensive test for Y107644. (Yseq is entirely separate from FTDNA, but was founded by former FTDNA scientists. Yseq would require a fresh DNA sample.) If you feel that such a specific test poses too much risk for failure, you could order the more general J2a-M67 Panel, or even the most general J2-M172 Superclade Panel.
    It is only $18 for y107644 test? And what do you mean with fresh dna sample? Isnt the STR results enough for the test? I have only a Y-DNA test and one myheritage autosomal test.

    The J2a-m67 test will only show 3 categories..

  4. #4
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,718
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Bl1tzTurk View Post
    It is only $18 for y107644 test? And what do you mean with fresh dna sample? Isnt the STR results enough for the test? I have only a Y-DNA test and one myheritage autosomal test.
    Yes, a single SNP test costs only $18 from Yseq. But if I recall correctly, Yseq adds a $6 shipping charge for the first test ordered. Any additional tests can avoid that charge.

    Yseq is completely separate from FTDNA, so Yseq will need its own DNA sample from you. If I recall correctly, the collection kit is shipped from their office in Texas, but the DNA samples must then be sent to their lab in Germany. Yseq does not make any use of your FTDNA samples or results (nor vice-versa). However, once you receive your Yseq results, I suggest you submit them to your FTDNA project administrator, who can then manually place you in the most specific correct category.
    Last edited by lgmayka; 01-25-2020 at 03:39 PM.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

     aaronbee2010 (01-25-2020),  Bl1tzTurk (01-26-2020)

  6. #5
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,364
    Sex
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Ethnicity
    Indian - Punjabi Jatt
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2-Y154920*
    mtDNA (M)
    U7a3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Y84821
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a1a

    England United Kingdom India Punjab India
    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    Any additional tests can avoid that charge.
    This is correct, but additional tests need to be ordered with the "IDONTNEEDAKIT" coupon code to avoid this charge.
    YFull: YF72440 (FTDNA - IN41220)

    Ancestral Haplos (Punjabi Jatt):
    * Father: R2-M479 > M124 > V1180 > SK2142 > Y1379 > Y1383 > Y154920* (xZ6135) - M5a1a-G9064A (185G)
    * Maternal Uncle: R1b-M343 > M269 > Z2103 > Z2109 > Y14416 > Y35099 > Y84821 - U7a3a-A9852G > G6150A > C15433T
    * MGMs MGF: R1a-M420 > M198 > Z93 > L657 > Y7 - ?

    Hidden Content

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronbee2010 For This Useful Post:

     lgmayka (01-25-2020)

  8. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    21
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    Yes, a single SNP test costs only $18 from Yseq. But if I recall correctly, Yseq adds a $6 shipping charge for the first test ordered. Any additional tests can avoid that charge.

    Yseq is completely separate from FTDNA, so Yseq will need its own DNA sample from you. If I recall correctly, the collection kit is shipped from their office in Texas, but the DNA samples must then be sent to their lab in Germany. Yseq does not make any use of your FTDNA samples or results (nor vice-versa). However, once you receive your Yseq results, I suggest you submit them to your FTDNA project administrator, who can then manually place you in the most specific correct category.
    Ive contacted Yseq and they have the snp test i want.

    Do i have to give everytime a new DNA sample or is one time enough for more future tests?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bl1tzTurk For This Useful Post:

     lgmayka (01-27-2020)

  10. #7
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,718
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Bl1tzTurk View Post
    Do i have to give everytime a new DNA sample or is one time enough for more future tests?
    One sample is enough for many tests. As a previous poster said, any additional tests should include the IDONTNEEDAKIT coupon to avoid any additional shipping charge.

  11. #8
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,718
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Bl1tzTurk View Post
    The J2a-m67 test will only show 3 categories..
    No, the $88 J2a-M67 Panel runs multiple tests successively. It "drills down" to the most specific subclade recognized by Yseq. In the description of the panel:
    ---
    In the second round we work down the branches iteratively until we have found your position on the given tree.

    The test is completed when the unique phylogenetic position on the tree has been determined.
    ---

    If you have good reason to think that you belong to one specific subclade, it is reasonable to spend $18 to test that first. But if your result turns out negative, I might then suggest the $99 J2-M172 Superclade Panel, which starts at the top of J2 and "drills down" until it finds your most specific subclade.
    Last edited by lgmayka; 01-27-2020 at 04:28 PM.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

     Bl1tzTurk (01-27-2020)

  13. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    21
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    No, the $88 J2a-M67 Panel runs multiple tests successively. It "drills down" to the most specific subclade recognized by Yseq. In the description of the panel:
    ---
    In the second round we work down the branches iteratively until we have found your position on the given tree.

    The test is completed when the unique phylogenetic position on the tree has been determined.
    ---

    If you have good reason to think that you belong to one specific subclade, it is reasonable to spend $18 to test that first. But if your result turns out negative, I might then suggest the $99 J2-M172 Superclade Panel, which starts at the top of J2 and "drills down" until it finds your most specific subclade.
    Yes this sounds logic. Thank you very much!

  14. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    21
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    YFull's J-BY54002 clade lists several tree-equivalent SNPs, including Y107644. Yseq has an inexpensive test for Y107644. (Yseq is entirely separate from FTDNA, but was founded by former FTDNA scientists. Yseq would require a fresh DNA sample.) If you feel that such a specific test poses too much risk for failure, you could order the more general J2a-M67 Panel, or even the most general J2-M172 Superclade Panel.
    Just did this test and got my results super fast!

    My test for SNP Y107644 was positive!

    Ps. does this now mean that i belong to that branch? Or is it possible that other branches also positive? What about final downstream? I only ordered the single SNP test..

    https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Y30811/

    Y-snp resultaten.jpg
    Last edited by Bl1tzTurk; 02-19-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. G-U1 leaves me confused.
    By crooked6p in forum G2a-P15
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2020, 02:09 PM
  2. Confused!
    By unkown in forum Genealogy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2018, 01:47 AM
  3. im confused
    By SlytherclawRavenpuff in forum J
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2018, 02:55 AM
  4. Confused about k1a1b1a
    By raschau in forum K
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-17-2018, 05:35 AM
  5. Confused DNA results, Please help!
    By thewarrider7 in forum General
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-24-2018, 09:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •