Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    One more thought. I belong to a very uncommon subclade, K1a4a1i-- there are only three of us so far! We were given this designation fairly recently and finally found our place in the PhyloTree. All this to say that I'm sure you will find your spot soon, especially as there are so many of by comparison.
    Hi David,

I took a look at the three kits for your subclade on the K project. Unfortunately you are the only one with a FF kit on GEDmatch, but you have an X-DNA connection to mother. My mother who is from Canada has several X-DNA connections to a person in 18th Century North Carolina. A match with her just about anywhere on her X-chromosome indicates a connection to this ancestor in North Carolina. My guess is that you had an ancestor who found a wife in the Colonies then back migrated to Great Britain because of being a Loyalist during the American Revolution. I wish the other two K1a4a1i's had autosomal data on GEDmatch so that we could see if they triangulate.

Hope you find this of interest.

Jack Wyatt

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49*
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

Northern Ireland England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by C J Wyatt III View Post
    Hi David,

I took a look at the three kits for your subclade on the K project. Unfortunately you are the only one with a FF kit on GEDmatch, but you have an X-DNA connection to mother. My mother who is from Canada has several X-DNA connections to a person in 18th Century North Carolina. A match with her just about anywhere on her X-chromosome indicates a connection to this ancestor in North Carolina. My guess is that you had an ancestor who found a wife in the Colonies then back migrated to Great Britain because of being a Loyalist during the American Revolution. I wish the other two K1a4a1i's had autosomal data on GEDmatch so that we could see if they triangulate.

Hope you find this of interest.

Jack Wyatt
    Hi Jack,

That's very interesting indeed. As far as I know we have know colonial ancestry, and I would have thought that would have been passed down, but anything is possible!

Thanks,

David

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49*
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

Northern Ireland England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by C J Wyatt III View Post
    Hi David,
    ... My guess is that you had an ancestor who found a wife in the Colonies then back migrated to Great Britain because of being a Loyalist during the American Revolution...
    Out of interest, and it may be that I just need sleep and am missing the obvious, but might it not be just as likely that the North Carolina person and I share a common ancestor from England?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to David Mc For This Useful Post:

Judith (01-18-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

Hi Jack,

That's very interesting indeed. As far as I know we have know colonial ancestry, and I would have thought that would have been passed down, but anything is possible!

Thanks,

David
    You're welcome. If you have had any contact with the other two kit owners, maybe you can ask them if they have done any autosomal testing that they could upload to GEDmatch. I would love to be able to compare with one or both.

Jack

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

Out of interest, and it may be that I just need sleep and am missing the obvious, but might it not be just as likely that the North Carolina person and I share a common ancestor from England?
    I think you might be right about the possibility, but I also look at certain matching segments on regular autosomal that also indicates a link to this particular person in NC. We also can't assume that the connection is via your maternal line. However if my mother came up with an X-match to one of the other kits, I'd lean heavily toward the maternal line.

Jack

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

One more thought. I belong to a very uncommon subclade, K1a4a1i-- there are only three of us so far! We were given this designation fairly recently and finally found our place in the PhyloTree. All this to say that I'm sure you will find your spot soon, especially as there are so many of by comparison.
    As I mentioned in another thread, my mom and I both share your k1a4a1i A6260G! back mutation however we lack the A15880G so are no i. Which might make us a precursor, except we also have a couple other oddities such as we have half of the defining mutations also for k1a4a1a as we have G15884A but lack A4295G and we for k1a4a1b2 we also have the G1811A! back mutation but lack the C16261T (we don't even know if we have the k1a4a1b defining A8089G since 23 v4 doesn't test it and we don't know what GENO gave for that. If both GENO 2.0 and GENO 2.0 NG test for A8089G and we did not get no calls twice then we are negative for that though.).

Do you happen to have any those other things we have?

Not sure what to make of this. Do most k1a4a1 have some random mish-mash of these various defining mutations for k1a4a1a-i or not?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21>L513>FGC9811
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1

United Kingdom Ireland Wales Guernsey Devon England
    I see that I have the same subclade as:-
    England
    Unspecified (1347-1351 AD) 1 sample of K1a1b1

Maybe an ancient ancestor of mine?

Any idea where this sample was excavated?

Thanks, Gary

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    I see that I have the same subclade as:-
    England
    Unspecified (1347-1351 AD) 1 sample of K1a1b1 ...

Any idea where this sample was excavated?
    St. Nicholas Shambles, London

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

Goodman (05-16-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21>L513>FGC9811
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1

United Kingdom Ireland Wales Guernsey Devon England
    I've heard of that place. I'll read up on it. Thanks for that info!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Hadn't seen that you were a K1a4a1i.
    I too am in a small cluster of K1a4a1. I'm one of 9 FTDNA kits that are K1a4a1c.
    I have 16 HVR2 matches, all that have had FGS are K1a4a1c. so not many prospects of too many being added any time soon.
    dp :-)

Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

David Mc (05-16-2016),  wombatofthenorth (01-14-2017)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast