Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Greeks are 1/4 of the Slavs?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Aspar View Post
    My understanding for MTA matching system is that they are using low SNP count, the same way on Gedmatch you can set up the treshold to 50 or 100 SNP's. No matter what, the trend is visible, I don't see Romanians or Serbs matching up those samples for some reason but hey, they show up as my own matches...
    It's impossible to share segments of 50cM with ancient samples.

If you can adjust the threshold for this to happen, then the test is garbage and obviously useless.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Generalissimo For This Useful Post:

Helgenes50 (02-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y16729
    mtDNA (M)
    H

North Macedonia United Kingdom England
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo View Post
    It's impossible to share segments of 50cM with ancient samples.

If you can adjust the threshold for this to happen, then the test is garbage and obviously useless.
    Might be, I just made a reference to them because of their matching with ancient samples. Interestingly, I didn't even tell them where I am from.
    But one thing is for certain, I won't pay them any money.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Aspar View Post
    Might be, I just made a reference to them because of their matching with ancient samples. Interestingly, I didn't even tell them where I am from.
    But one thing is for certain, I won't pay them any money.
    They worked out where you're from with the Eurogenes K15.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Generalissimo For This Useful Post:

Greekscholar (02-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H7

Albania
    What if modern Macedonians have way more Paeonian ancestry since modern North Macedonia is basically Paeonia + Dardania.

It makes more sense to assume so, since basically the term Macedonia was just a geographical association from Byzantine historians/geographers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Johnny ola (02-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Michalis Moriopoulos View Post
    Based on the classical Greek samples from Emporion (cluster with Mycenaeans), I very much doubt the Dorians will look any different from their Ionian contemporaries.
    I agree but this does not necessarily disprove large non-Mycenean input in Classical Greeks. Because the ancient people of Southern Balkans were most likely nearly identical genetically before the medieval invasions.
    Last edited by Chuck; 02-15-2020 at 07:07 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck For This Useful Post:

DgidguBidgu (06-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    Can't wait for more ancient samples because I'm sensing that modern mainlanders (aside from Maniots and Tsakonians) may plot close to classical era Macedonians claimed by Slavic Macedonians as their own.
    Depends of your definition of close. But unless you believe the Macedonians were more northeastern shifted than Thracians, they will most likely plot close to Greek Empuries sample but somewhat more northern shifted.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a-M319

I personally think mainland Greece was Prenestini_tribe_IA_o like before the Slavic migrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcelow View Post
    I personally think mainland Greece was Prenestini_tribe_IA_o like before the Slavic migrations.
    Greece has received northern alleles before the Slavs but to attribute it to Dorians is wishfull thinking. The data suggests Peloponnesians of the Classical age were probably identical to Myceneans as the Greek Empuries appears which could be a descendant of mainlanders. While the Macedonians slightly more Northern shifted like the Thracian is.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a-M319

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Greece has received northern alleles before the Slavs but to attribute it to Dorians is wishfull thinking. The data suggests Peloponnesians of the Classical age were probably identical to Myceneans as the Greek Empuries appears which could be a descendant of mainlanders. While the Macedonians slightly more Northern shifted like the Thracian is.
    The Mycenaeans preceded the classical age Greeks by 1,000 years. I highly doubt the two groups were genetically identical, even if one primarily descends from the other. I'm placing my bet on some pretty meaningful northern admixture entering Greece, not attributed to one group in particular, but likely a combination of multiple events over different periods of time.

Of course, only time will tell. We'll get a definitive answer once we have classical age genomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcelow View Post
    The Mycenaeans preceded the classical age Greeks by 1,000 years. I highly doubt the two groups were genetically identical, even if one primarily descends from the other. I'm placing my bet on some pretty meaningful northern admixture entering Greece, not attributed to one group in particular, but likely a combination of multiple events over different periods of time.

Of course, only time will tell. We'll get a definitive answer once we have classical age genomes.
    The Mycenaeans preceded those Classical samples (even the Thracian) that we have by 1000 years too but they don't seem to differ. I used to favour a genetic change into Classical Greeks before too, but it doesn't seem like it. You are right only time will tell, we can only assume till then.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415