Thread: Best company for ancestor identification?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Best company for ancestor identification?

Hi Guys,

Question: I recently did a autosomal test over at FTDNA, and the results were a surprise. I am Scottish on both sides (1 grandmother was English). My Y-DNA is very much Scottish (L513/193), but my autosomal results showed only around 50% Britain/Ireland. The rest was West Europe, right over France.

Since then, we discovered that my G-G-Grandmother (on the side of my English Grandmother) had a very French surname: Boucher. On further research, it seems that Boucher families came over to England from France with the Huguenot persecution in the 18th century. But...would a single Huguenot ancestor that far back account for so much French in my results?

Basically, I'd like a more accurate autosomal test to identify whether this statistic is accurate; if so, perhaps identify regions in France; and maybe even take a guess as to my most recent 100% French ancestor (I'm told 23andMe can do this?). It's probably further back, but there is of course an outside chance that there is a family secret waiting to be discovered!

Thanks for your advice on the best company to go with.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I reposted this thread over at the AncestryDNA section. How can I delete this one here?! Thanks...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

JonikW (02-01-2020)