Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland

More companies need to recognize the value of the X chromosome

Knowing that an individual who shares DNA with you shares a segment with you on the X chromosome can be very helpful. This is especially true for males, since we only have a single X chromosome which can only have come from our mother.

23andMe, of course, does provide this information -- provided that your match is either sharing with you or has agree to display matching segments. MyHeritage also shows matching segments, but not on the X chromosome. Ancestry only reports the total amount of DNA shared, in centimorgans; and the number of segments.

Other companies, of course, may not provide even this much info. What I would like to see is for MyHeritage to report segment sharing on the X chromosome, and for Ancestry to do the same -- even if they continue not to provide a chromosome browser.

For me, just knowing I share with someone on the X chromosome is enough to tell me that I am likely related to them through my maternal grandfather's mother. This is because all of my X chromosome except for 20 cM surrounding the centromere came from my maternal grandfather.

There is a possibility also of the person being related to me through my maternal grandmother's mother, though only 20 cM of my X chromosome is from her. (I know that my maternal grandmother's father did not provide this DNA for a simple reason: my grandmother has maternal half sisters who have descendants who share DNA with me across this entire region.)
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (03-07-2020),  palamede (02-25-2020),  RCO (02-11-2020),  Ruderico (02-12-2020),  sum1 (02-22-2020),  Tįltos (02-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    I identified my mother's biological father based on 2 3rd cousin X chromosome match at 23andme. If they were 4th chromosome matches instead I couldn't have done it because that forces you to review all siblings and branches. But by focusing on both x chromosome trees I was able to find the 1 couple that connected the two sides and recognize that they were my mother's paternal grandparents.
    Daughter's ggg grandparents(father to left, mother to right)
    Y-DNA: R-BY4242, R-Z344, ?, ?, E-FT41362, ?, E-L29, ?, R-Z20907, ?, ?, ?, R-L2, R-L20, ?, ?
    MT-DNA: ?, ?, H3g, ?, ?, ?, ?, W6a, ?, N1b1, ?, B4a1a1, ?, U5b2a, ?, H3h, ?, ?, H15a1, ?, ?, ?, ?, I3a, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, K1c1g

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

palamede (02-25-2020),  Tįltos (02-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>Z56>Z145
    mtDNA (M)
    W5a2

Netherlands
    Especially X-matching at MyHeritage would help for me tracing it back further than my mother.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pylsteen For This Useful Post:

Tįltos (02-17-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    I wish FTDNA wouldn't give x matches with less than 6cMs . Just 3/50 over 6cMs .
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    With 23andMe I match a woman with an Irish/Scottish name who has Icelandic ancestors . Of the matches we share many are on the X and some also on chr 1-22 . The 1-22 chr are on 3,8,12 and 22. Size - 10.12-17.50 cMs . They're not large but better than those at FTDNA .
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>Z56>Z145
    mtDNA (M)
    W5a2

Netherlands
    A funny line I discovered some time ago: my parents share a common ancestral couple from Antwerp during the early 1600s. On my mother's side they are one of my X-chrom candidates; on my father's side, they are X-chrom candidates of the 19th century ancestor I was named after.

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    The X Chromosome is actually going to play a big role for my daughter's Science Fair Project.
    Maternal Grandfather's mtDNA: K2b1

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (03-07-2020),  geebee (02-18-2020),  palamede (02-25-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    The X Chromosome is actually going to play a big role for my daughter's Science Fair Project.
    Did she complete her project? What was the object of it?
    Daughter's ggg grandparents(father to left, mother to right)
    Y-DNA: R-BY4242, R-Z344, ?, ?, E-FT41362, ?, E-L29, ?, R-Z20907, ?, ?, ?, R-L2, R-L20, ?, ?
    MT-DNA: ?, ?, H3g, ?, ?, ?, ?, W6a, ?, N1b1, ?, B4a1a1, ?, U5b2a, ?, H3h, ?, ?, H15a1, ?, ?, ?, ?, I3a, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, K1c1g

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Did she complete her project? What was the object of it?
    Hi, not yet. It is due in May. The purpose: How will the X chromosome affect the amount of DNA a granddaughter can inherit from her grandparents?
    Maternal Grandfather's mtDNA: K2b1

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

Osiris (02-26-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Should be fascinating. From what I've seen the amount can vary pretty widely -- even apart from considering which grandparent can't pass on any X-chromosome DNA to their grandchild.

My parents had an equal chance of passing on X-chromosome DNA to my sister's daughter, since my sister inherited an X chromosome from each of them. Yet my niece only matches my father on the first 11.06 cM. Obviously, that means that all the rest of my niece's maternal X chromosome came from my mother.

All of my only X chromosome is from my mother, of course. So I don't match my niece on this 11.06 cM. But I do match her everywhere else I match my sister. The only thing that excludes (besides the 11.06 cM) is 20 cM surrounding the centromere. 100% of my sister's maternal X chromosome is from our maternal grandfather -- and therefore from his mother.

So my niece ended up getting 11.06 cM from her maternal grandfather, and 170.78 cM from her maternal grandmother. That 170.78 cM, in fact, is from her maternal grandmother's maternal grandmother! My niece's son inherited 120.13 cM of this. That's a pretty big chunk of a chromosome to inherit from a 3rd great grandparent.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Tįltos (02-27-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast