Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L21-DF21-S5456
    mtDNA (M)
    H1C1

Ireland European Union

Nebula Genomics

Nebula Genomics, Partnering with BGI, Sets Industry Standard by Offering 30x Whole-Genome Sequencing for $299

The most affordable personal genome sequencing is now available in 188 countries

February 18, 2020 09:00 AM Eastern Standard Time
    SAN FRANCISCO & BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nebula Genomics, the leading privacy-focused personal genomics company, today announced a new product at an unmatched price: 30x whole-genome sequencing for $299 in the direct-to-consumer market segment. With this launch, Nebula Genomics also expands its services to 188 countries.

“For the past 30 years, we've been working towards making personal whole genome sequencing affordable and accurate. Today, we have a big step towards this goal, reducing the cost of 30x Whole-Genome Sequencing to less than $300 and making it available to people around the globe”

Tweet this
    Today, most direct-to-consumer genetic tests produce limited information due to the use of outdated technology. In contrast, whole-genome sequencing at 30x coverage accurately reads out over 6 billion letters in the human genome. This generates a thousand-fold more information, enabling more comprehensive reporting on traits and ancestry. However, until now, the cost of whole-genome sequencing made it inaccessible to most people. To bring the cost down, Nebula Genomics has partnered with global genomics leader BGI Group, leveraging its MGI DNBSEQ T-Series high throughput sequencing technology and its global network of sequencing centers. Nebula Genomics is now excited to offer 30x whole-genome sequencing for $299 – a more than a two-fold price reduction.

“For the past 30 years, we've been working towards making personal whole genome sequencing affordable and accurate. Today, we have a big step towards this goal, reducing the cost of 30x Whole-Genome Sequencing to less than $300 and making it available to people around the globe,” said George Church, professor at Harvard Medical School and co-founder of Nebula Genomics.

In addition to offering the most affordable whole-genome sequencing, Nebula Genomics seeks to address the mounting concerns over genetic data privacy that have slowed down the growth of the direct-to-consumer genetic testing market. To this end, Nebula Genomics is building a secure data management platform that combines blockchain-enabled transparency with privacy-preserving computing. This technology enables Nebula Genomics users to benefit from affordable personal genome sequencing without risking their privacy.

Individuals who purchase 30x whole-genome sequencing from Nebula Genomics will retain full control of their genomic data, receive weekly updated reports based on the latest scientific discoveries, get an in-depth ancestry analysis, and become empowered to explore their data using browser-based genome discovery tools.

About Nebula Genomics

Nebula Genomics’ mission is to usher in the era of personal genomics by providing access to affordable whole-genome sequencing and creating technology to protect genomic data privacy. By enabling affordable personal genome sequencing and secure genomic data sharing, Nebula Genomics will create large genomic datasets that will help advance our understanding of human genetics, accelerate drug discovery and streamline clinical trials. The company was founded in 2018 by genomics pioneer George Church and has offices in San Francisco, CA, and Boston, MA. Nebula Genomics is backed by multiple investors including Khosla Ventures, Fenbushi Capital, Mayfield, F-Prime Capital Partners, GreatPoint Ventures, Hemi Ventures, and Mirae Asset. For more information, follow @NebulaGenomics on Twitter and Facebook or visit nebula.org.

About BGI Group

BGI is the world’s leading genomics solutions group, with the mission to empower the world to benefit from genomics. Founded in 1999, BGI has continually focused on transformative genomics research and applications. From a small group of scientists participating in the Human Genome Project to becoming consistently ranked among the top scientific institutions globally, BGI Group continues to pioneer its omics-driven approach to solving the world’s biggest challenges in human health & wellness and in life sciences. Beyond its research leadership, BGI Group also develops and manufactures breakthrough enabling technologies for omics – both tools and infrastructure – through its MGI subsidiary. BGI’s services and solutions are available in more than 100 countries and regions around the world. With a fully integrated omics platform from science to tools to solutions, BGI partners with governments and institutions in unwavering pursuit of the common goal: Omics for All. For more information visit https://en.genomics.cn.

Contacts
    Dennis Grishin, Nebula Genomics CSO
    [email protected]
    Gerard Corcoran
    R1b-DF21-S5456-S6166, H1C1

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heber For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (02-19-2020),  JMcB (02-18-2020),  pmokeefe (02-18-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L21-DF21-S5456
    mtDNA (M)
    H1C1

Ireland European Union
    "We provide information about ancestry collaboration with FamilyTreeDNA. In particular, we focus on the analysis of paternal and maternal ancestry. For male users, we sequence the Y chromosome (Y-CHR) that they inherited from their fathers. For both male and female users, we sequence mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) that was inherited from their mothers. This analysis is enabled by 30x Whole-Genome Sequencing. In contrast to other genetic tests (e.g. 23andMe and AncestryDNA), we discover all genetic variants in Y-DNA and mtDNA. We enable our users to easily transfer their genomic data to FamilyTreeDNA and get access to the world’s largest Y-DNA and mtDNA databases and trace their paternal and maternal ancestry. The service also includes the ability to connect with relatives. Furthermore, FamilyTreeDNA will offer Nebula Genomics users the opportunity to upgrade their accounts and get access to additional ancestry reporting. The ancestry reporting will be available in Q2 2020."
    Gerard Corcoran
    R1b-DF21-S5456-S6166, H1C1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heber For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-18-2020),  pmokeefe (02-18-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A9185
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2

Poland England Ireland Munster
    I just placed an order, $299, along with $19.99 monthly subscription.
    This is supposed to be in partnership with BGI? Does anyone know if the Nebula Genomics has their own laboratory in America, or do they ship the kits to China for sequencing? How many bp are the reads?
    You will receive a confirmation email when your kit ships in the next 2-3 days with a tracking number.
    It will be interesting to see how their level of service compares with Dante Labs. I'm a long time customer of Dante Labs, 10 kits ordered so far, beginning in March 2018. My experience with Dante, like many others, has been ... uneven.
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-18-2020),  MacUalraig (02-20-2020)

Hi there! Thanks for ordering a kit. I'm one of the co-founders of Nebula. We've already been doing sequencing (0.4X) for customers for a while and you can check out some reviews to learn more: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/nebula.org

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kobbad For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (02-18-2020),  AbdoNumen (02-18-2020),  JMcB (02-19-2020),  pmokeefe (02-18-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A9185
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2

Poland England Ireland Munster
    Quote Originally Posted by kobbad View Post
    Hi there! Thanks for ordering a kit. I'm one of the co-founders of Nebula. We've already been doing sequencing (0.4X) for customers for a while and you can check out some reviews to learn more: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/nebula.org
    Nice to hear from you!
    I wonder if you would mind answering a few somewhat technical questions? Does Nebula have an in-house sequencing facility or is the actual sequencing outsourced? I'm mainly interested in the raw data, particularly the FASTQ files. How long are are the reads? As for the BAM and VCF files, which reference sequence will be used for alignment?
    Thanks in advance!
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by pmokeefe View Post
    Nice to hear from you!
    I wonder if you would mind answering a few somewhat technical questions? Does Nebula have an in-house sequencing facility or is the actual sequencing outsourced? I'm mainly interested in the raw data, particularly the FASTQ files. How long are are the reads? As for the BAM and VCF files, which reference sequence will be used for alignment?
    Thanks in advance!
    I don't mind at all! We've partnered with BGI and are sequencing in Hong Kong. Soon, we hope to start sequencing in North America. The reads are 150bp and the reference sequence is hg38.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kobbad For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (02-18-2020),  JMcB (02-19-2020),  pmokeefe (02-19-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15733
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

Roberta Estes's blog (DNAExplained) today leads with an announcement that Nebula Genomics is partnering with FTDNA to offer this test, sequencing to be done by BGI, in Hong Kong at first. https://dna-explained.com/2020/02/18...tion-schedule/

My experience with BGI was roughly six years ago, when that lab was one of several used sequentially (no pun intended) by Full Genomes Corp. for what soon became known as "FGC Elite." Nominally, that tested the Y chromosome only -- but as completely as was then feasible. At the time I ordered (Nov. 18, 2013), the logistics (of getting the sample to China, and the data back) hadn't been worked out very well; and nor was the FGC contract a very high priority at BGI. So it took nearly six months, and the test had to be run twice (for my sample) to pass FGC quality control. But apart from those bumps in the road -- pretty similar ones were happening at FTDNA, with their contemporaneous launch of the "Big Y" -- I was then, and still am, quite satisfied with the quality of the product.

The price (for a 30x whole genome) has come down to about a quarter of what I paid (for the Y only) in 2013, but that's OK; if I hadn't sprung for the more expensive option then, there would not be SNPs so far up the haplotree, today, that were named from my sample. Some of that early discovery factor is owing to the expertise of the analyst(s) at FGC. But what they were analyzing (early in 2014) was, in fact, a BGI product. I have little reason to doubt that Nebula Genomics will provide a similar sense of value received for the modest cost.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to razyn For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (02-19-2020),  jadegreg (02-19-2020),  JMcB (02-19-2020),  pmokeefe (02-19-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian - Punjabi Jatt
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2-SK2142 > Y1383*
    mtDNA (M)
    U7a3a5a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z2109 > Y84821
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a1a (185G)

England United Kingdom India Punjab India
    It's lovely to see you make an appearance, so props to you for that!

It's just one question from me: If I were to cancel my Nebula Explore subscription, could I then purchase a new subscription afterwards if I changed my mind? Thank you very much!
    YFull: YF72440 (FTDNA - IN41220)

Ancestral Haplos (Punjabi Jatt):
    * Father: R2-SK2142 > Y1383* - M5a1a (185G)
    * Maternal Uncle: R1b-Z2109 > Y84821 - U7a3a5a
    * MGMs MGF: R1a-Z93 > Y7 - ?

Friends Haplos:
    * North Moroccan Berber: E-M35 > M81 - R0
    * Han Chinese: O-M117 > F1531 - M7e
    * Gujarati Lohana: T-M70 > Y11151 - R30b1

Hidden Content

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaronbee2010 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (02-21-2020),  JMcB (02-23-2020)

Yes, you can!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kobbad For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (02-21-2020),  jadegreg (02-21-2020),  JMcB (02-23-2020),  pmokeefe (02-19-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

So all those reviews related to the low pass version? Most don't say (or notice the difference).
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (02-21-2020),  JMcB (02-23-2020)