Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is Baltic Influence? Is Baltic Close To Slavic?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b-V13>?
    mtDNA (M)
    J1

Albania

Question What Is Baltic Influence? Is Baltic Close To Slavic?

I am Albanian, and looking at phenotypes of me and my family members, I think I see some slavic influence, although nothing is showing in my GEDmatch, 23andme, or other third party DNA results. (This could also be because 23andme isn't the greatest regarding testing).

On Gedmatch and other calculators I score pretty high baltic, on geneplaza I score baltic as well, which is making me think.

Is the slavic influence I think I see in me and family's phenotype really a natural trait of my ethnicity, from baltic influence a long time ago? The theory of slavic influence in albanians from montenegro (where I am from), is possibly that we mixed with Montenegrins, but I believe this could just be a natural albanian phenotype, with just slightly different influence (more baltic).

I know that the Baltic peoples, are for ex. Lithuanians, Latvians, etc.. maybe this is influence from them? I believe they settled in balkans some time ago as well. I think many slavs score high baltic too.

Please you people more knowledgeable respond, would highly appreciate!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

You are ghegh?Albanians like all the balkan nations have been mixed with Slavs yes.North Albanians more than South!!!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b-V13>?
    mtDNA (M)
    J1

Albania
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    You are ghegh?Albanians like all the balkan nations have been mixed with Slavs yes.North Albanians more than South!!!
    Yes I am gheg albanian. This is true that no one is completely pure and all balkan nations have some slav influence, I just want to be clear, whether or not it's slavic influence or baltic influence in my case.
    Last edited by gjenetiks; 03-14-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Quote Originally Posted by gjenetiks View Post
    Yes I am gheg albanian. This is true that no one is completely pure and all balkan nations have some slav influence, I just want to be clear, whether or not it's slavic influence or baltic influence in my case.
    Can you share some results from your gedmatch?K13 or k15 or k16 would be fine.

Albanians like Greeks have mixed with slavs making them score some baltic admixture.But if its possible link some gedmatch results to check!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Kelmendasi (03-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-BY32817
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1l
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-CTS1273*

Albania Kosovo
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    In the case of auDNA, Gheg Albanians could possibly have more Slavic input on average as there is more of a NE shift, however when it comes to Y-DNA it's the other way around. Among Ghegs only ~6.8% (4.6% R-M417 and 4.2% I2a-CTS10228) of the Y-DNA haplogroups can be confidently linked to the Slavs, on the other for Tosks the percentage is at ~20.1% (11% I2a-CTS10228 and 9.1% R-M417).
    Ydna: J1>P58>YSC234>ZS241>BY32817 (Y179831)

Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS1273*

Mtdna: T1a1l

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelmendasi For This Useful Post:

Johnny ola (03-15-2020),  palamede (03-15-2020),  Pribislav (03-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-BY32817
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1l
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-CTS1273*

Albania Kosovo
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenetiks View Post
    I think for the most part the "Baltic" input picked up on GEDmatch and other sites is another representation for Slavic input. Historically, it would only make sense for it to be Slavic as there wasn't a settlement of Baltic speaking groups in the Balkans.

I'd suggest getting G25 if you want to see how much Slavic admixture you have.
    Last edited by Kelmendasi; 03-15-2020 at 02:33 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelmendasi For This Useful Post:

gjenetiks (03-15-2020),  Johnny ola (03-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

Albania Kosovo
    Linguistically, according to Orel, Albanian shares more unique Isoglosses with Baltic, than with Slavic branch of languages. So there is a possible deep antiquity relation we aren't aware of, therefore we should keep in mind before being certain it is because of slavic influence.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Johane Derite For This Useful Post:

gjenetiks (03-17-2020)

Banned
    Sex

Upgrade your ydna already, bud.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-BY32817
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1l
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-CTS1273*

Albania Kosovo
    Quote Originally Posted by Johane Derite View Post
    Linguistically, according to Orel, Albanian shares more unique Isoglosses with Baltic, than with Slavic branch of languages. So there is a possible deep antiquity relation we aren't aware of, therefore we should keep in mind before being certain it is because of slavic influence.
    The thing is that the Iron Age Balkan samples have very negligible amounts of this northeastern admixture, the Bronze Age samples have a little more on average but this just suggests that by the Iron Age there was a southern shift whereby most of the population became Mycenaean-like. So we can assume that the Proto-Albanians were also more akin to the Mycenaeans when it comes to auDNA, and that the northeastern shift present in modern Albanians and mainland Greeks can be attributed to later migrations.

I found the K15 results for some of the ancient Balkan samples on the Vahaduo GEDmatch site, and none of the samples score above 10% Baltic. The sample that scores the highest is SCY197 (the V13+ Getae sample) at 7.98%. In contrast the Mycenaean samples scored under 1%. On the other hand, the average Albanian has over 10% Baltic on K15.

Anyways, I think these earlier GEDmatch calculators aren't that good in showing which admixture is Slavic and which isn't. G25 is best for this.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelmendasi For This Useful Post:

Johane Derite (03-16-2020),  palamede (03-16-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b-V13>?
    mtDNA (M)
    J1

Albania
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelmendasi View Post
    The thing is that the Iron Age Balkan samples have very negligible amounts of this northeastern admixture, the Bronze Age samples have a little more on average but this just suggests that by the Iron Age there was a southern shift whereby most of the population became Mycenaean-like. So we can assume that the Proto-Albanians were also more akin to the Mycenaeans when it comes to auDNA, and that the northeastern shift present in modern Albanians and mainland Greeks can be attributed to later migrations.

I found the K15 results for some of the ancient Balkan samples on the Vahaduo GEDmatch site, and none of the samples score above 10% Baltic. The sample that scores the highest is SCY197 (the V13+ Getae sample) at 7.98%. In contrast the Mycenaean samples scored under 1%. On the other hand, the average Albanian has over 10% Baltic on K15.

Anyways, I think these earlier GEDmatch calculators aren't that good in showing which admixture is Slavic and which isn't. G25 is best for this.
    I score about 5% baltic on Geneplaza K29, under Eastern European category, is this an indication of slavic ancestry?

jkCn3Jo.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast