Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My weird ftdna results

My weird ftdna results

These are my results :

I'm moroccan but score no iberian and 21% west and central europe ...How is this possible ? Also according to Morley's dna I'm J1 but I scored no ME ancestry here. These results seem to be quite unusual for a moroccan Personally I've never seen this before what are your explanations ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyScaletta For This Useful Post:

Power77 (03-19-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Brazil Azores Italy Ladinia
    Isn't it common for Moroccans? I saw Moroccan MyHeritage results on youtube and most scored European. FTDNA and MyHeritage intracontinental (inside continents and regions) estimates are not the best yet, they are promising to improve. The European they are seeing in you is probably shared ancestry from 2000-3000 years ago or more.

You shouldn't rely too much on only one company estimate. Try to see your results in multiple companies and other tests (Gedmatch, g25 calcs) to have an idea of your overall ancestry and look at your matches to see if they confirm what the tests are saying.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

Power77 (03-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Agrippa View Post
    Isn't it common for Moroccans? I saw Moroccan MyHeritage results on youtube and most scored European. FTDNA and MyHeritage intracontinental (inside continents and regions) estimates are not the best yet, they are promising to improve. The European they are seeing in you is probably shared ancestry from 2000-3000 years ago or more.

You shouldn't rely too much on only one company estimate. Try to see your results in multiple companies and other tests (Gedmatch, g25 calcs) to have an idea of your overall ancestry and look at your matches to see if they confirm what the tests are saying.
    Yes euro ancestry among berbers is common but in most cases it's iberian/italian ...west/central euro is totally unusual and I also scored no iberian here. Other tests like MH or DNALAND gave me some iberian at around 10-11% but with some sardinian at 11% and 26% on DNALAND (with a weird 1.4% finnish on dnaland). As for gedmatch It isn't really accurate for north africans unlike G25 : but even on gedmatch I got a high north atlantic score and 5% north euro (I tend to also be a bit more euro shifted than the average and less ME shifted despite having J1). I'm also suprised by the lack of SSA here, almost all moroccan results from ftdna show some ssa ...anyway I should get my G25 coordinates I'll do it soon

Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyScaletta View Post
    Yes euro ancestry among berbers is common but in most cases it's iberian/italian ...west/central euro is totally unusual and I also scored no iberian here. Other tests like MH or DNALAND gave me some iberian at around 10-11% but with some sardinian at 11% and 26% on DNALAND (with a weird 1.4% finnish on dnaland). As for gedmatch It isn't really accurate for north africans unlike G25 : but even on gedmatch I got a high north atlantic score and 5% north euro (I tend to also be a bit more euro shifted than the average and less ME shifted despite having J1). I'm also suprised by the lack of SSA here, almost all moroccan results from ftdna show some ssa ...anyway I should get my G25 coordinates I'll do it soon
    I think it's quite possible that your European percentages are actually Iberian masquerading as other regions. I've seen several FTDNA results for people with Iberian ancestry, where the Iberian percentage that they get from other services gets spread out over several regions: e.g. one half-Portuguese person who gets almost 50% Iberian on MH, but only 6% on FTDNA, with the rest divided between West/Central, Eastern and Southern Europe.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

andyouare (03-19-2020),  TonyScaletta (03-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    I think it's quite possible that your European percentages are actually Iberian masquerading as other regions. I've seen several FTDNA results for people with Iberian ancestry, where the Iberian percentage that they get from other services gets spread out over several regions: e.g. one half-Portuguese person who gets almost 50% Iberian on MH, but only 6% on FTDNA, with the rest divided between West/Central, Eastern and Southern Europe.
    Ah ok I see that's a possibility because i really don't see how a north moroccan can't score any iberian (on K36 they gave me around 20% iberian+basque)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Ah ok I see that's a possibility because i really don't see how a north moroccan can't score any iberian (on K36 they gave me around 20% iberian+basque)
    They have been wrong since changing to myOrigins many years ago

I have recorded documents with german and french lines , yet they give me zero for france and germany ..............and its the only site which gives me Anatolia .......I usually get north-caucasus from other sites

European 89%
    Southeast Europe 53%
    British Isles 17%
    East Europe 12%
    Scandinavia 7%

Middle Eastern 8%
    Asia Minor 8%

In their previous system , pre myOrigins I had france and germany

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483 )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-L22 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

TonyScaletta (03-19-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Brazil Azores Italy Ladinia
    As other member said, your North European is probably Iberian type of DNA being read as North European. I have no known North European/Central European ancestry, North African or Middle Eastern and these are my FTDNA results:

Iberia 50%
    Southeast Europe 22%
    West and Central Europe 11%
    North African 6%
    West African 7%
    South America 2%

Trace results - West Middle East <2%, South Central Africa <1%

You shouldn't take these results literally. I know I don't have actual North African or Central European, it's in the ''package'' of my Portuguese and Italian ancestors. LivingDNA also gives me 17% British and I know I don't have British ancestry, most of those DNA companies ascribe me at least 9-10% Middle Eastern/North African and I know it's not possible, so I suppose it's from South European ancestors.

All tests say something meaningful if you know how to interpret them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

TonyScaletta (03-19-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post

I have recorded documents with german and french lines , yet they give me zero for france and germany ..............and its the only site which gives me Anatolia .......I usually get north-caucasus from other sites

European 89%
    Southeast Europe 53%
    British Isles 17%
    East Europe 12%
    Scandinavia 7%

Middle Eastern 8%
    Asia Minor 8%

On that point, my father basically only has two known ancestries: German -- "Palatines" who immigrated to America during the colonial era; and British -- mostly as "Scots-Irish". His paper trail percentages are about 69% for German, and 31% for British.

Despite that, here's what FTDNA's MyOrigins says (based on analysis of his 23andMe upload): British Isles 76%; Southeast Europe 15%; and East Europe 8%. (In addition, there's a "trace" amount of Northeast Asia <2%.)

See anything missing? There's nothing that could be identified as German, even though this is 2/3 of his ancestry. I believe this is because of how inflated the British Isles number is -- basically over twice what it actually is. By "siphoning off" (or misidentifying) a lot of his German ancestry to British, the remaining German apparently no longer looks "German". Instead, it's move to the east, as "East Europe", and to the south as "Southeast Europe". Essentially, where the bulk of my father's ancestry originated, there is instead a hole.

However FTDNA's algorithm works, there is clearly some sort of problem in identifying German ancestry correctly.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

TonyScaletta (03-19-2020),  vettor (03-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post

European 89%
    Southeast Europe 53%
    British Isles 17%
    East Europe 12%
    Scandinavia 7%

Middle Eastern 8%
    Asia Minor 8%

Alright thanks I've heard that they are going to improve their database soon

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Agrippa View Post
    As other member said, your North European is probably Iberian type of DNA being read as North European. I have no known North European/Central European ancestry, North African or Middle Eastern and these are my FTDNA results:

Iberia 50%
    Southeast Europe 22%
    West and Central Europe 11%
    North African 6%
    West African 7%
    South America 2%

Trace results - West Middle East <2%, South Central Africa <1%

You shouldn't take these results literally. I know I don't have actual North African or Central European, it's in the ''package'' of my Portuguese and Italian ancestors. LivingDNA also gives me 17% British and I know I don't have British ancestry, most of those DNA companies ascribe me at least 9-10% Middle Eastern/North African and I know it's not possible, so I suppose it's from South European ancestors.

All tests say something meaningful if you know how to interpret them.
    Indeed some iberians told me the same that it isn't really accurate based on their genealogy The company sometimes tend to confuse the iberian component with west/central europe anyway let's hope their next update will improve all of this

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyScaletta For This Useful Post:

Caius Agrippa (03-20-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast