Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1 of the 7 beauties: blond and brown eyes or dark and blue/gray eyes!?

Registered Users
    Sex

Netherlands
    Brunette+blue is relatively common in my family. Blonds are present but at a minority and generally with blue eyes. My gg-grandmother had red hair and brown eyes. I think my gg-grandfather was blond with brown eyes, but then we are talking about dark blond or light brunette.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pylsteen For This Useful Post:

Finn (03-29-2020),  Jessie (04-02-2020),  Power77 (03-29-2020),  rms2 (03-29-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylsteen View Post
    Brunette+blue is relatively common in my family. Blonds are present but at a minority and generally with blue eyes. My gg-grandmother had red hair and brown eyes. I think my gg-grandfather was blond with brown eyes, but then we are talking about dark blond or light brunette.
    Not to make it a freak show, but these are my grandfather, my nephew and I (the little one) in the early seventies....
    All blond with brown eyes (old man already turned gray). Excuse for the quality.

https://www.mupload.nl/img/1sdok4z5fbrx9.jpg
    Last edited by Finn; 03-29-2020 at 04:07 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

Jessie (04-02-2020),  Power77 (03-29-2020),  rms2 (03-29-2020),  Stefanie (03-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Light eyes and brunette hair is pretty well the default here in Ireland. Id guess over 50% of the population has that combo. Blonde hair and brown eyes, that would be incredibly rare combo here. I can only think of one person I know who has it. Blonde hair almost always goes with blue eyes here. Red hair almost always goes with light eyes here too. I find it weird when I see redheads with dark eyes (though you do see that combo among Scots IMO).

Personally, though ive no knowledge of genetic mechanisms for it, I think eye colour usually goes most with skin tone, not hair colour. Light eyes seem to go with fair skin while dark eyed people seem here to go with the slightly more sallow/olive skinned minority.
    what about the so called "black irish "....black hair and blue eyes

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483 )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-L22 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German

Phenotypically ,"dark" hair (if including light brown hair in that category) and light eyes is certainly the most or second most combination in central and northwest Europe. I don't believe for a minute, that brown eyes and blond hair is a more common combination than that.
    Usually, even if someone lives in a very blond region, the percentage of light eyes is even greater than that of blonde hair, which logically means, that a large share of dark haired individuals must be light eyed. Actual blonde hair and dark eyes seems very uncommon.

And actually the findings of that table you shared seems to be at odds with table 2 from the same study, where what I stated above, is clearly shown. So either we interpret table 3 wrongly, something inhibits the genotypical correlation to express itself phenotypically or they made a mistake.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chnodomar For This Useful Post:

Finn (03-29-2020),  Power77 (03-29-2020),  rms2 (03-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    The obvious thing is that although it seems to be likely that sips for hair and eyes spirit, they mostly come with a 'package deal' (= blond hair/blue eyes, dark hair/brown eyes).

I guess one factor in that plays a part in the fact that blond and brown eyes seems to occur more often than dark hair and blue/gray eyes is that 'light and medium' brown eyes contain a (severe) shot light coloring.....

Here a chart with the difference mixtures:

I wonder if there are people with dark brown eyes, so level 0.97> brown, the last five ones on the chart that have blond hair!!!
    the chart is based on the fact that there are only 2 types of eye colour...brown and blue
    green and grey sit under the blue category

I would sit closest to your chart ....top row , 3rd from left , my father was lighter than this

my sons would be , 1st row, 3rd from bottom

my grandsons are, top row, second from left

my mother and sister are bottom row , 3rd from left ..........they call it brown eyes, although my mother rim is a blue colour,

for what it is worth, my
    rs12913832
    Gene: Near OCA2 .............GG
    Last edited by vettor; 03-29-2020 at 05:03 PM.

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483 )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-L22 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

Finn (03-29-2020),  Power77 (03-29-2020),  rms2 (03-29-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Chnodomar View Post
    Phenotypically ,"dark" hair (if including light brown hair in that category) and light eyes is certainly the most or second most combination in central and northwest Europe. I don't believe for a minute, that brown eyes and blond hair is a more common combination than that.
    Usually, even if someone lives in a very blond region, the percentage of light eyes is even greater than that of blonde hair, which logically means, that a large share of dark haired individuals must be light eyed. Actual blonde hair and dark eyes seems very uncommon.

And actually the findings of that table you shared seems to be at odds with table 2 from the same study, where what I stated above, is clearly shown. So either we interpret table 3 wrongly, something inhibits the genotypical correlation to express itself phenotypically or they made a mistake.
    How about this?

No blond hair and brown eyes is NOT common, nowhere.
    But in regions with 80%> blond the chance you get a blond haired with brown eyes is bigger....
    Last edited by Finn; 03-29-2020 at 06:54 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

Cascio (03-30-2020),  Power77 (03-30-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Since we're posting our eyeball pictures why not join in, bored enough anyway

And I didn't even wash my face this morning before i took these pics that's how little I care. You can probably see some corona particles around my eyes.
    Last edited by oz; 03-29-2020 at 06:19 PM.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oz For This Useful Post:

Cascio (03-30-2020),  Finn (03-29-2020),  Power77 (03-29-2020),  rms2 (03-29-2020),  vettor (04-03-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    How about this?
    As I said:

But in regions with 80%> blond the chance you get a blond haired with brown eyes is bigger....
    If you look at studies that quantify the phenotypical appearance of those colours, the percentage of light eyes is basically always much higher than that of blond hair.

So if you have a region with, for example, 80% of blond hair and 90% of light eyes the chance for dark hair (20%, if we disregard red hair for a moment) and light eyes is logically higher than that for blond hair and brown eyes (10%, if we disregard green and hazel eyes), if it follows basic mathematics...
    A majority of those 10% of brown eyes has to go with dark hair, so only like 2-5% will realistically be available for blonde hair. But even if it didn't go with dark hair primarily and we assume for a moment, that all 10% of brown eyes go with blonde hair, then all dark haired individuals have to be light-eyed and still vastly outnumber the blonde haired, brown eyed individuals at 20% to 10%.

Apart from the fact, that these ratios are probably only the case for some regions in Scandinavia and Frisia anyway.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chnodomar For This Useful Post:

Finn (03-29-2020),  Power77 (03-29-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    As I said:

If you look at studies that quantify the phenotypical appearance of those colours, the percentage of light eyes is basically always much higher than that of blond hair.

So if you have a region with, for example, 80% of blond hair and 90% of light eyes the chance for dark hair (20%, if we disregard red hair for a moment) and light eyes is logically higher than that for blond hair and brown eyes (10%, if we disregard green and hazel eyes), if it follows basic mathematics...
    A majority of those 10% of brown eyes has to go with dark hair, so only like 2-5% will realistically be available for blonde hair. But even if it didn't go with dark hair primarily and we assume for a moment, that all 10% of brown eyes go with blonde hair, then all dark haired individuals have to be light-eyed and still vastly outnumber the blonde haired, brown eyed individuals at 20% to 10%.

Apart from the fact, that these ratios are probably only the case for some regions in Scandinavia and Frisia anyway.
    I guess the following is also true in absolut numbers.
    Let's say only 1% of the natural blond haired have brown eyes.
    We have a population of 1000.
    With 80% blond haired we have 800 blond haired, 1% of them have brown eyes, makes it 8.
    With 20% blond haired we have 200 blond haired 1% of them have brown eyes makes it 2.
    So indeed in regions with high blond haired in Scandinavia and the North German Plain (incl North Dutch) the amount of blond hair with brown eyes is bigger.....

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

Cascio (03-30-2020),  Power77 (03-29-2020),  vettor (03-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U106>DF98>BY650
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a

France Bretagne Trégor France Bretagne Kroaz Du
    deleted
    Last edited by Trelvern; 03-29-2020 at 06:36 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trelvern For This Useful Post:

Finn (03-29-2020)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast