Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Genetic or culture responsible? "Overrepresentation of people with African ancesty".

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

Genetic or culture responsible? "Overrepresentation of people with African ancesty".

I see that "the overrepresentation of people with African ancestry" seem to be a reoccurring theme for coronavirus in both Europe and North America (although I would like more data), has anyone looked into a possible genetic explanation, or is it simply down to culture and socio-economic standing within their respective communities?

In Norway and Sweden the Somalian community is overrepresenterted, while in the USA it seems to be Afro-American.

Editing this to avoid unnecessary confusion and oversimplification of the topic..

Are there any data from groups that are over-represented, meaning not per country, but per ethnic group (it works best with minority groups), so be that American-Norwegians, or Chileans in Europe.. No need to focus only on Africa.
    Last edited by evon; 04-07-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

BBC on the USA: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52194018

Stark statistics from Chicago health officials have underscored the heavy toll of coronavirus on black Americans.

Black Chicagoans account for half of all coronavirus cases in the city and more than 70% of deaths, despite making up 30% of the population.

Other cities with large black populations, including Detroit, Milwaukee, New Orleans and New York, have become coronavirus hotspots.

The US has recorded nearly 370,000 virus cases and almost 11,000 deaths.
    Last edited by evon; 04-07-2020 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added snippet fro article.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

In Norway: https://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/no...-ingen-a-miste

1. april kom ferske tall fra Folkehelseinstituttet (FHI) som viste at personer født i Somalia er hardest rammet av coronasmitte blant innvandrere i Norge. Av 4655 personer som i skrivende stund har fått påvist corona i Norge, skal 829 personer være født utenfor Norge.

201 av disse skal være født i Somalia, skriver FHI.

Dermed utgjør personer født i Somalia over fire prosent av de smittede. Til sammenligning er det, ifølge SSB, 28.554 innvandrere i Norge som er født i Somalia, noe som utgjør bare litt over en halv prosent av den totale befolkningen.
    Translation:
    On April 1, fresh figures from the Institute of Public Health (FHI) showed that people born in Somalia are most severely affected by coronary infection among immigrants in Norway. Of 4655 people who have at the time of writing been detected corona in Norway, 829 persons are born outside Norway.

201 of these will be born in Somalia, writes FHI.

Thus, people born in Somalia make up over four percent of those infected. In comparison, according to Statistics Norway, there are 28,554 immigrants in Norway born in Somalia, which constitutes just over half a percent of the total population.
    Last edited by evon; 04-07-2020 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added snippet

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

Sweden: https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artike...rtikel=7437072

Twelve new deaths connected to the Coronavirus were confirmed in Sweden on Monday, and there is particular concerns about Swedish-Somalis, as at least six of 15 people to die from the virus in the Stockholm area so far are of Somali background according to the Swedish-Somali medical association.

Translation:
    Twelve new deaths associated with the Coronavirus were confirmed in Sweden on Monday, and there are particular concerns about Swedish-Somalis, as at least six of 15 people to die from the virus in the Stockholm area so far are of Somali background according to the Swedish -Somali medical association.
    Last edited by evon; 04-07-2020 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added snippet

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S1954
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-P58
    mtDNA (P)
    H4a

Canada Acadia Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Basque Canada Quebec United States Zuni Pueblo
    Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    I see that "the overrepresentation of people with African ancestry" seem to be a reoccurring theme for coronavirus in both Europe and North America (although I would like more data), has anyone looked into a possible genetic explanation, or is it simply down to culture and socio-economic standing within their respective communities?

In Norway and Sweden the Somalian community is overrepresenterted, while in the USA it seems to be Afro-American.
    It’s not genetic. It’s a result of systemic inequality.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Souriquois For This Useful Post:

drobbah (04-07-2020),  Milkyway (04-07-2020),  okarinaofsteiner (04-09-2020),  passenger (04-07-2020),  Ruderico (04-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Somaliland Ethiopia Adal Sultanate Yemen Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
    It’s not genetic. It’s a result of systemic inequality.
    It is very clear it is socio-economic factors that is causing ADOS in America and Somalis in Scandinavia to be overrepresented.Why else would this virus only have a huge effect on Somalis in Scandinavia and not in the much larger Somali diaspora communities in North America and the UK.

Africans (this guy's codeword for Blacks) are also the most genetically diverse continent on this planet so it's absurd to think that all Africans are more susceptible to die of this disease. Even with this virus killing many in Europe, some Europeans are using their free time to spout racist nonsense like the French scientist who suggested using Africa as a testing ground for the vaccine. or accusing the African head of WHO with many absurd lies
    Last edited by drobbah; 04-07-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Target: Mother_scaled
    Distance: 5.4903% / 0.05490334
    50.8 Dinka
    35.8 Levant_Natufian
    9.0 Yemenite_Al_Jawf
    4.0 ETH_4500BP
    0.4 MAR_Taforalt

Target: Drobbah_scaled
    Distance: 5.1638% / 0.05163817
    44.8 Dinka
    36.0 Levant_Natufian
    11.6 ETH_4500BP
    6.2 Yemenite_Al_Jawf
    1.4 MAR_EN

Target: Father_scaled
    Distance: 5.5604% / 0.05560439
    48.0 Dinka
    42.0 Levant_Natufian
    8.6 ETH_4500BP
    1.0 MAR_EN
    0.4 Yemenite_Al_Jawf

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

Chuck (04-08-2020),  Milkyway (04-07-2020),  okarinaofsteiner (04-09-2020),  Ruderico (04-08-2020),  Souriquois (04-07-2020),  spruithean (04-08-2020),  ThaYamamoto (04-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post

I'm inclined to think that -at least in the U.S.- it is the result of health insurance policies. Unlike in Europe or Canada, you don't get free healthcare in the U.S., and African-Americans are on average poorer than European Americans.

I don't think it has anything to do with genetics (let's remember that some people used to think that East Asians were more susceptible to the virus when the pandemic started in China). Moreover, there seem to be far less cases in Africa than in Europe or the U.S. for now.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Milkyway For This Useful Post:

drobbah (04-07-2020),  evon (04-07-2020),  FrostAssassin0701 (04-07-2020),  Judith (04-15-2020),  okarinaofsteiner (04-09-2020),  Ruderico (04-08-2020),  Souriquois (04-07-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S1954
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-P58
    mtDNA (P)
    H4a

Canada Acadia Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Basque Canada Quebec United States Zuni Pueblo
    Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    It is very clear it is socio-economic factors that is causing ADOS in America and Somalis in Scandinavia to be overrepresented.Why else would this "virus' only have a huge effect on Somalis in Scandinavia and not in the much larger Somali diaspora communities in North America and the UK.

Africans (this guy's codeword for Blacks) are also the most genetically diverse continent on this planet so it's absurd to think that all Africans are more susceptible to die of this disease. Even with this virus killing many in Europe, some Europeans are using their free time to spout racist nonsense like the French scientist who suggested using Africa as a testing ground for the vaccine. or accusing the African head of WHO with many absurd lies
    This narrative is as old as they come. Some groups (particularly black people) have worse outcomes due to systemic issues and racists point and say “See? They’re inferior.”

No, it’s because in the US (not sure about Scandinavia), black people are more likely to be low income, and work in front-line jobs like grocery store clerks. Then they go home to crowded, substandard housing.

Then due to all this, they are more likely to have underlying health conditions that would make COVID-19 more dangerous.

And meanwhile, white people in the US seem to be trying to catch the virus on purpose, you know, with Becky going on Spring Break and Jim Bob still going to his sorry excuse for a “church”. That and they seem ready to sacrifice grandma to appease the stock market gods.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Souriquois For This Useful Post:

drobbah (04-07-2020),  Jammies (04-09-2020),  spruithean (04-08-2020),  ThaYamamoto (04-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Aegean Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a

Greece United States of America
    Evon, did you also think to ask whether there is a major genetic difference between Lombardese and Piedmontese?

My modus operandi: Don't assume genetic differences where environmental ones will suffice. Some populations might be more prone to worse outcomes due to genetics, but we know for a fact that some will be worse off due to their environment.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michalis Moriopoulos For This Useful Post:

drobbah (04-07-2020),  okarinaofsteiner (04-09-2020),  passenger (04-07-2020),  Souriquois (04-07-2020),  ThaYamamoto (04-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S1954
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-P58
    mtDNA (P)
    H4a

Quote Originally Posted by Michalis Moriopoulos View Post
    Evon, did you also think to ask whether there is a major genetic difference between Lombardese and Piedmontese?

My modus operandi: Don't assume genetic differences where environmental ones will suffice. Some populations might be more prone to worse outcomes due to genetics, but we know for a fact that some will be worse off due to their environment.
    I don’t think it’s population. There was a guy on TV here last night, discussing Boris Johnson’s diagnosis, that in some people the infection moves to the lungs (like what happened with Boris) while some people the infection stays in the upper respiratory tract and it’s pretty mild. Could be genetic, but it this variation is found in all populations, it seems.

But yeah it’s interesting nobody ever asked about Northern Italy.

Also, nobody asks why Quebec has been hit harder in Canada. It’s not genetic it’s because Quebec’s Spring Break happened a week before English Canada, so people were out partying and socializing more, while English Canada got the warning to socially distance beforehand and cancel their Spring Break plans.
    Last edited by Souriquois; 04-07-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast