Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Genetic or culture responsible? "Overrepresentation of people with African ancesty".

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    This is from yesterday: https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/equili...e-de-553.shtml. It puts the number of cases at 12,056 and the number of deaths at 553. According to Worldometer, those numbers have risen today to over 13,000 and over 600 respectively. Not surprisingly, the largest concentrations of cases are in megalopolises like São Paulo and Rio - also in Fortaleza, Recife and Manaus - however there have been deaths recorded in all but 2 of the country's 26 states. I haven't seen data on socioeconomic distribution - just projections that the toll will be worse in poor communities despite the fact that the virus hit wealthier communities first due to issues of mobility. Brazil seems to be far from hitting peak infections so it's probably premature to make any analyses at this point in terms of distribution patterns.
    That is to be expected. According to data from the UK minorities in general are over-represented, which fits the bill. I have not seen any ethnic data from UK, as they still use archaic terms that seem to stem from their colonial days, when classifying people (so no specific ethnic group is mentioned)... Do you know what kind of categorization of people Brazil uses?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    That is to be expected. According to data from the UK minorities in general are over-represented, which fits the bill. I have not seen any ethnic data from UK, as they still use archaic terms that seem to stem from their colonial days, when classifying people (so no specific ethnic group is mentioned)... Do you know what kind of categorization of people Brazil uses?
    Popular categorization is extremely complex, but for purposes of official statistics, the government uses six categories: White, Black, Brown (mixed), Yellow (Asian - yes, I know it sounds bad), Indigenous and Not Indicated. I have not seen data on coronavirus cases using this criteria, but I'm sure it will emerge eventually. As there is a complex yet evident correlation between class and race in Brazil, it would not be surprising if more historically disadvantaged communities bore the brunt of the impact, due to lifestyle factors such as diet and other underlying health issues as well as a decreased inability to self-isolate due to occupation and housing types, plus less access to quality healthcare. There are many complicating factors though. We will see.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

evon (04-07-2020),  Ruderico (04-08-2020),  xKeleix (04-18-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    Popular categorization is extremely complex, but for purposes of official statistics, the government uses six categories: White, Black, Brown (mixed), Yellow (Asian - yes, I know it sounds bad), Indigenous and Not Indicated. I have not seen data on coronavirus cases using this criteria, but I'm sure it will emerge eventually. As there is a complex yet evident correlation between class and race in Brazil, it would not be surprising if more historically disadvantaged communities bore the brunt of the impact, due to lifestyle factors such as diet and other underlying health issues as well as a decreased inability to self-isolate due to occupation and housing types, plus less access to quality healthcare. There are many complicating factors though. We will see.
    That sounds as bad as the US and UK..

I expected women to be harder hit due to the fact that they are over-represented in shops here, but so far it is more men than women.. But this could be due to the way the numbers are fixed to symptoms and not actual infection (most are not tested, only those who are obviously sick).

Generic Mod Account
    Sex
    Omitted

This thread is closed and will likely stay closed, as the title is asking for trouble, which due to the number of reports we now have to deal with, has eventuated. This is as stern of a general warning that we will give. Some of you are walking a fine line, and due to the volume of reports we have had recently in relation to the world's events, our patience is wearing thin. If more trouble occurs, you will receive an infraction, if that is ignored, you will be shown the door.
    Forum Reminders - Please remember to:
    Report any problematic content • Adhere to Anthrogenica Hidden Content • Discuss respectfully • Be mindful of sharing user data (both yours and others) • English language only in main forum area • PM 'Moderator' for basic maintenance tasks or information about member suspensions or bans

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Moderator For This Useful Post:

Cascio (04-09-2020),  Deftextra (04-09-2020),  evon (04-08-2020),  Jammies (04-09-2020),  Jatt1 (04-09-2020),  Judith (04-15-2020),  parasar (04-08-2020),  rms2 (04-09-2020),  Ruderico (04-08-2020),  Souriquois (04-08-2020)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456