Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Genetic or culture responsible? "Overrepresentation of people with African ancesty".

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b S21184, BY50830+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a2 - FGS
    Y-DNA (M)
    ?
    mtDNA (P)
    I2

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    I see that "the overrepresentation of people with African ancestry" seem to be a reoccurring theme for coronavirus in both Europe and North America (although I would like more data), has anyone looked into a possible genetic explanation, or is it simply down to culture and socio-economic standing within their respective communities?

In Norway and Sweden the Somalian community is overrepresenterted, while in the USA it seems to be Afro-American.

Editing this to avoid unnecessary confusion and oversimplification of the topic..

Are there any data from groups that are over-represented, meaning not per country, but per ethnic group (it works best with minority groups), so be that American-Norwegians, or Chileans in Europe.. No need to focus only on Africa.
    I was not under that impression, but actually the opposite (very R1b rich). I haven't seen specific data, but it seemed the countries hit hardest were very much old Europe. ie: Spain, Italy, UK, France, Switzerland, Germany..etc (descendants in USA)

In my country, many of the casualties are the elderly in nursing homes. There has been quite a bit of community transmission, as well as silent carriers, but I have no idea of any trends with these people. It's not widely available, if at all. The group 20-39 make up a significant portion of the infected, and even hospitalized, which is not surprising to me at all.

There is definitely not enough data to support anything. Obviously those with the most compromised immune systems are the most vulnerable. The theory about blood type may have nothing to do with it, but A is the most common type in European countries.
    YDNA: R1b-BY50830 Stepney, London, UK George Wood b. 1782 English <-> Bavarian cluster
    maternal-gf YDNA: ?? Gurr, James ~1740, Smarden, Kent, England.
    maternal-gm YDNA: R1b-P311+ Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    maternal-ggf YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-Z17901. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton Ireland(?) 1800s

other:
    Welch: early 1800s E-M84 Kent, England.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ADW_1981 For This Useful Post:

evon (04-07-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Somaliland Ethiopia Adal Sultanate Yemen Canada
    We wont have that sort of data until Corona is over, but for now we can look at the data we do have. It has nothing to do with prejudiced thinking, I started this thread partly because this is an issue that the Somalian community in Norway and Sweden have themselves brought up in the local media here, and when the data from Chicago came up I thought it warranted a closer look.

Also, please dont subscribe to me views that I dont hold, that is just rude... Lets try to keep this OT please..
    This faux concern of yours about the Somali community is amusing.Like I said earlier and in the other Covid-19 thread, far larger Somali communities are not suffering the way the Somalis in Norway or Sweden are, I have no doubt in my mind that is the result of extreme racism in your country.I also find it amusing that you think there is some sort of connection between Somalis and African Americans when genetically they have absolutely nothing to do with each other, other than race but you're not prejudiced/racist...sure!

Target: Mother_scaled
    Distance: 5.4903% / 0.05490334
    50.8 Dinka
    35.8 Levant_Natufian
    9.0 Yemenite_Al_Jawf
    4.0 ETH_4500BP
    0.4 MAR_Taforalt

Target: Drobbah_scaled
    Distance: 5.1638% / 0.05163817
    44.8 Dinka
    36.0 Levant_Natufian
    11.6 ETH_4500BP
    6.2 Yemenite_Al_Jawf
    1.4 MAR_EN

Target: Father_scaled
    Distance: 5.5604% / 0.05560439
    48.0 Dinka
    42.0 Levant_Natufian
    8.6 ETH_4500BP
    1.0 MAR_EN
    0.4 Yemenite_Al_Jawf

4. The Following User Says Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

Souriquois (04-07-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Quote Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
    Good to hear. I’m scared of it hitting indigenous communities in this country. If it does, it will be an absolute bloodbath.
    Poor people in general and those who have to leave their home to work are at high risk.Many of the natives I've seen in Toronto are at the extreme end of Canadian poverty and are always outside.I don't know what the government will do to protect them and the other homeless people of Toronto

50.8 Dinka
    35.8 Levant_Natufian
    9.0 Yemenite_Al_Jawf
    4.0 ETH_4500BP
    0.4 MAR_Taforalt

44.8 Dinka
    36.0 Levant_Natufian
    11.6 ETH_4500BP
    6.2 Yemenite_Al_Jawf
    1.4 MAR_EN

48.0 Dinka
    42.0 Levant_Natufian
    8.6 ETH_4500BP
    1.0 MAR_EN
    0.4 Yemenite_Al_Jawf

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

jstephan (04-07-2020),  okarinaofsteiner (04-09-2020),  Souriquois (04-07-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Rio de Janeiro Colonial
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1 FGC6064+ M365+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1ao1

Suebi Kingdom Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ Brazilian Empire Brazil
    Brazil's super-rich and the exclusive club at the heart of a coronavirus hotspot. It is Brazil’s most exclusive club – a beachside sanctuary of privilege and power to which just 0.00041% of the country’s citizens have the keys. But the Rio de Janeiro Country Club – founded by British executives in 1916 and frequented since by the crème de la crème of carioca society – has been thrown into mourning by the coronavirus pandemic, sparking a nationwide debate about class and inequality in one of the most economically lopsided societies on earth.
    (...)
    Hours earlier, descendants of Brazil’s former royal family had gathered at a nearby mansion to toast the engagement of 31-year-old Pedro Alberto de Orléans e Bragança – the great-great-great grandson of Brazil’s last emperor, Pedro II – and his 26-year-old partner, Alessandra Fragoso Pires. Guests included Pires’ mother and stepfather, who had jetted in from their home in London, and others from Belgium, Italy and the United States. More than half of the 70-or-so people at the lunch have since tested positive for Covid-19 including the bride’s father and grandfather and the groom’s aunt. Three remain in hospital, in serious condition. “It’s just horrible,” said one family member who attended the celebration and asked not to be named. “Nobody could have imagined the virus would strike with such devastating force.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...avirus-hotspot
    J1 FGC5987 to FGC6175 (188 new SNPs)
    MDKAs before Colonial Brazil
    Y-DNA - Milhazes, Barcelos, Minho, Portugal.
    mtDNA - Ilha Terceira, Azores, Portugal
    North_Swedish + PT + PT + PT @ 3.96 EUtest 4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RCO For This Useful Post:

okarinaofsteiner (04-09-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S1954
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-P58
    mtDNA (P)
    H4a

Canada Acadia Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Basque Canada Quebec United States Zuni Pueblo
    Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    Poor people in general and those who have to leave their home to work are at high risk.Many of the natives I've seen in Toronto are at the extreme end of Canadian poverty and are always outside.I don't know what the government will do to protect them and the other homeless people of Toronto
    Yeah that’s the thing of it. Poverty is the biggest risk... but when some ethnic groups are in poverty at higher rates, discrimination is at play.

But another group vulnerable for example is people with mental health conditions, of all races and ethnicities. They are more likely to be in extreme poverty, and on top of that, often don’t trust the health care system, and if they are convinced to see a doctor, may be discriminated against by the doctor who will ignore any physical complaints. I mean, they already die at higher rates of physical illness like heart disease because doctors ignore them and just send them to psych.

And here in Canada, mental health is still in the Stone Age.
    Last edited by Souriquois; 04-07-2020 at 08:05 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Souriquois For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (04-07-2020),  drobbah (04-07-2020),  okarinaofsteiner (04-09-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Quote Originally Posted by Bealfire View Post
    Sådår som ett resultat av många generationer av dålig hälsa i sitt land är de mer benägna att drabbas av denna sjukdom. även detta på verkar naturligtvis mer specifik befolkning.

Det är inte som om de kom från älvornas dal igår.
    You wrote "As a result of many generations of poor health in their country, they are more likely to suffer from this disease. this too, of course, seems more specific population.

It is not as if they came from the valley of the rivers yesterday."

Somalis are people who survived wars, colonial invasions,famines,diseases and a harsh arid environment and a pastoralist lifestyle.The strongest survived just like we have survived for thousands of years.I appreciate the concern you and Evon have for the Somali people but trust me we will do just fine and survive so I suggest you redirect your energy somewhere else
    Last edited by drobbah; 04-07-2020 at 08:23 PM.

50.8 Dinka
    35.8 Levant_Natufian
    9.0 Yemenite_Al_Jawf
    4.0 ETH_4500BP
    0.4 MAR_Taforalt

44.8 Dinka
    36.0 Levant_Natufian
    11.6 ETH_4500BP
    6.2 Yemenite_Al_Jawf
    1.4 MAR_EN

48.0 Dinka
    42.0 Levant_Natufian
    8.6 ETH_4500BP
    1.0 MAR_EN
    0.4 Yemenite_Al_Jawf

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

Alfa (04-08-2020),  Deftextra (04-08-2020),  Souriquois (04-08-2020),  sum1 (04-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

Except for such obvious cases that are linked to travel etc, are there any data on representation within the wider Brazilian community?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Bealfire View Post
    Sådan som ett resultat av många generationer av dålig hälsa i sitt land är de mer benägna att drabbas av denna sjukdom. även detta på verkar naturligtvis mer specifik befolkning.

Det är inte som om de kom från älvornas dal igår.
    I will reply in English.

It is possible that this plays a role here, but then I would expect to see high numbers from other minorities/populations where health care has been lacking in their countries of origin.. Pakistan being a good example.. Why are the Pakistani population not equally represented?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

Quote Originally Posted by ADW_1981 View Post
    I was not under that impression, but actually the opposite (very R1b rich). I haven't seen specific data, but it seemed the countries hit hardest were very much old Europe. ie: Spain, Italy, UK, France, Switzerland, Germany..etc (descendants in USA)

In my country, many of the casualties are the elderly in nursing homes. There has been quite a bit of community transmission, as well as silent carriers, but I have no idea of any trends with these people. It's not widely available, if at all. The group 20-39 make up a significant portion of the infected, and even hospitalized, which is not surprising to me at all.

There is definitely not enough data to support anything. Obviously those with the most compromised immune systems are the most vulnerable. The theory about blood type may have nothing to do with it, but A is the most common type in European countries.
    It would be very interesting to look at the data from NY, as they have a sizable Italian community there (although they are of southern Italian ancestry).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Except for such obvious cases that are linked to travel etc, are there any data on representation within the wider Brazilian community?
    This is from yesterday: https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/equili...e-de-553.shtml. It puts the number of cases at 12,056 and the number of deaths at 553. According to Worldometer, those numbers have risen today to over 13,000 and over 600 respectively. Not surprisingly, the largest concentrations of cases are in megalopolises like São Paulo and Rio - also in Fortaleza, Recife and Manaus - however there have been deaths recorded in all but 2 of the country's 26 states. I haven't seen data on socioeconomic distribution - just projections that the toll will be worse in poor communities despite the fact that the virus hit wealthier communities first due to issues of mobility. Brazil seems to be far from hitting peak infections so it's probably premature to make any analyses at this point in terms of distribution patterns.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

evon (04-07-2020)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast