U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland

Question WikiTree

Anybody else on WikiTree?

It's kind of cool, but the collective aspect drives me nuts. If you're not the first one to add an ancestor, you have get on someone else's "trusted list" in order to connect your line to that ancestor. Nuisance. I'm not a good member of the Borg.

I joined back in January but had not done much with it until yesterday and today, now that I'm stuck inside.

Still learning how it works.
    Last edited by rms2; 04-07-2020 at 09:20 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-08-2020),  pmokeefe (04-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I explored it a while ago, but every time you go back and look at it it's changed. Much of the information is inaccurate / added without enough research.
    Collection of 14,000 d-stats: Hidden Content Part 2: Hidden Content Part 3: Hidden Content PM me for d-stats, qpadm, qpgraph, or f3-outgroup nmonte models.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kale For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-08-2020),  rms2 (04-08-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Prussia Italy Two Sicilies United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Anybody else on WikiTree?

It's kind of cool, but the collective aspect drives me nuts. If you're not the first one to add an ancestor, you have get on someone else's "trusted list" in order to connect your line to that ancestor. Nuisance. I'm not a good member of the Borg.

I joined back in January but had not done much with it until yesterday and today, now that I'm stuck inside.

Still learning how it works.

I wouldn’t be a good member of the Collective either. Although, I was rather fond of one of their escapees!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seve...evenofNine.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_of_nine
    Paper Trail: 43.8% English, 29.7% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German, 6.25% Italian & 1.5% French. Or: 86% British Isles, 6.25% German, 6.25% Italian & 1.5% French.
    LDNA(c): 86.3% British Isles (48.6% English, 37.7% Scottish & Irish), 7.8% NW Germanic, 5.9% Europe South (Aegian 3.4%, Tuscany 1.3%, Sardinia 1.1%)
    BigY 700: I1-Z140 >I-F2642 >Y1966 >Y3649 >A13241 >Y3647 >A13248 (circa 620 AD) >A13242/YSEQ (circa 765 AD) >FT80854 (circa 1650 AD).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

rms2 (04-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z142>
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2a1b2a1b1>Y4925
    mtDNA (P)
    H37

England Scotland Wales Germany Northern Ireland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    I wouldn’t be a good member of the Collective either. Although, I was rather fond of one of their escapees!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seve...evenofNine.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_of_nine
    Watched star trek Picard...she has aged very well

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a9/cf...c70abcb55d.jpg
    Last edited by MitchellSince1893; 04-08-2020 at 05:31 PM.
    37% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German, 3% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French/Dutch, 1% India
    Hidden Content

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-08-2020),  rms2 (04-08-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    I explored it a while ago, but every time you go back and look at it it's changed. Much of the information is inaccurate / added without enough research.
    Ah, that would bug me big time.

Thanks for the heads up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-08-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

I've actually kept plugging away, adding ancestors to WikiTree despite its drawbacks. Not sure why. Guess it's the urge to preserve the pedigree on the off chance that somebody, sometime, someplace, may care. Haven't run into duplicates on my y-dna line, except initially with my y-dna second and third great grandfathers, but those entries were made by a third cousin I already knew, so she put me on her "trusted list", and I put her on mine. She matches me at FTDNA's Family Finder, at Ancestry DNA, and at 23andMe.

WikiTree won't allow you to enter dna testing info on living people, even if you manage their kits. They have to do that for themselves, but you can enter it for those who are already dead.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Stefanie (04-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly NW European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L210
    mtDNA (M)
    W5a2b

United States of America England France Germany Ireland Scotland
    rms2, keep pluggin away at it. Ya never know who may be reading your tree. Or who it may help. I haven’t joined WikiTree yet. But I almost did this morning. Just so I could leave a comment. Lol. Found my 2nd great grandfather listed on there as a female. Ok, his first name IS Florence, so fair enough. I like the idea of WikiTree. Just don’t know if I can figure out how it all works. Most of my tree building is done on Ancestry. Then I post a bare bones version on MyHeritage, FTDNA and geneanet. Right now I’m gathering up my notes and everything preparing to print it all out for my aunt, the one family member who is interested. She doesn’t do computers at all. But I may eventually give WikiTree a try.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stefanie For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (04-12-2020),  rms2 (04-11-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    rms2, keep pluggin away at it. Ya never know who may be reading your tree. Or who it may help. I haven’t joined WikiTree yet. But I almost did this morning. Just so I could leave a comment. Lol. Found my 2nd great grandfather listed on there as a female. Ok, his first name IS Florence, so fair enough. I like the idea of WikiTree. Just don’t know if I can figure out how it all works. Most of my tree building is done on Ancestry. Then I post a bare bones version on MyHeritage, FTDNA and geneanet. Right now I’m gathering up my notes and everything preparing to print it all out for my aunt, the one family member who is interested. She doesn’t do computers at all. But I may eventually give WikiTree a try.
    When I first joined back in January, I tried uploading my Gedcom. The problem with that is then you have to go through checking each person in your Gedcom to confirm he or she is not a duplicate of someone already in WikiTree! Bogus!

It's simpler just to make each entry like it was brand new, one at a time. That's what I'm doing now.

I gave up on the Gedcom thing.

I've focused on the lines of relatives I know are dna matches to me, especially y-dna matches.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-12-2020),  pmokeefe (04-12-2020),  Stefanie (04-12-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Prussia Italy Two Sicilies United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    When I first joined back in January, I tried uploading my Gedcom. The problem with that is then you have to go through checking each person in your Gedcom to confirm he or she is not a duplicate of someone already in WikiTree! Bogus!

It's simpler just to make each entry like it was brand new, one at a time. That's what I'm doing now.

I gave up on the Gedcom thing.

I've focused on the lines of relatives I know are dna matches to me, especially y-dna matches.
    If Iím understanding you correctly, that does sound bogus and rules me out. Why would you need to make sure someone in your tree isnít already listed on WikiTree?
    Paper Trail: 43.8% English, 29.7% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German, 6.25% Italian & 1.5% French. Or: 86% British Isles, 6.25% German, 6.25% Italian & 1.5% French.
    LDNA(c): 86.3% British Isles (48.6% English, 37.7% Scottish & Irish), 7.8% NW Germanic, 5.9% Europe South (Aegian 3.4%, Tuscany 1.3%, Sardinia 1.1%)
    BigY 700: I1-Z140 >I-F2642 >Y1966 >Y3649 >A13241 >Y3647 >A13248 (circa 620 AD) >A13242/YSEQ (circa 765 AD) >FT80854 (circa 1650 AD).

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    I just tried their GED compare tool. To put it bluntly, it's crap .
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

19. The Following User Says Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

rms2 (04-12-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast