Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: R1b-L51 route into West/Central Europe proposed graphic

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,291
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    R1b-L51 route into West/Central Europe proposed graphic

    I've posted a series of articles for the R1b project members as background in preparation for this.
    Those articles include topics like, PIE, Yamnaya, Corded Ware, Single Grave CW, Bell Beakers, P312 distribution, U106 distribution, Z2103 distribution, etc.

    This graphic is intended as a visual to discuss L51 and its descendants. It's too busy as it is so I'm trying not to add more detail but I definitely want to correct errors. Feedback?

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...route.pdf?dl=0

  2. #2
    Banned
    Posts
    13,888
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    It seems to me we are pretty close to knowing that R1b-L51 came into Europe west of the steppe via Corded Ware. The big issue now is where Corded Ware came from. If you read about Corded Ware, you'll see the experts don't agree on that.

    Fortunately ancient dna has put paid to the idea that Corded ware was native to the North European Plain and developed from TRB. But we still don't know how exactly it came from the steppe.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Michał (04-25-2020)

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,291
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    It seems to me we are pretty close to knowing that R1b-L51 came into Europe west of the steppe via Corded Ware. The big issue now is where Corded Ware came from. If you read about Corded Ware, you'll see the experts don't agree on that.

    Fortunately ancient dna has put paid to the idea that Corded ware was native to the North European Plain and developed from TRB. But we still don't know how exactly it came from the steppe.
    Agreed. My old mantra on the Bell Beakers was Bell Beakers are not Bell Beakers are not Bell Beakers.

    We are seeing the same thing for the Corded Ware. Corded Ware is not Corded Ware is not Corded Ware. It's a broad archaeological horizon, not a tribe. It's not even a specific culture.

    Likewise, the Yamnaya were not all alike and the fringes and adjacent areas may have had steppes herders too. There were probably few if any clear boundaries. The Proto-Indo-European base probably did not respect clear boundaries either.

    I guess the other old adage still applies too. The pottery is not the people.

    In the article I will post I will try to post some scholarly article links but will leave open the route route from L23 to P312 and U106 as an open question. It looks doubtful at this point that it accompanied Z2103 along the Danube? Not impossible but doubtful?
    Last edited by TigerMW; 04-25-2020 at 12:40 PM.

  5. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Ethnicity
    anglo-saxon
    Nationality
    British

    I've been trying to figure out where R1b-L51 came from, too. L-51 seems to appear out of no-where in roughly the area of modern Germany. L-51 is high in South/Central France, Northern Italy, and South Poland. L-51 is absent in the Balkans and Eastern Europe. R1b-M269 > R1b-L23 > R1b-L51 so I went back to M269 and L23 to try to find the trail to L51. R1b makes up 28% of the Y DNA in Armenia. This is mostly L23 ( 15% ), a little M269 ( 5% ), and M73 ( 8% ). In Turkey, there is about 10% of L23 and what I found most interesting was there is 27% of L23 in the Upper Rhone Valley ( canton Valais in Switzerland ). There is 8% M269 in the central Balkans around Kosovo and 5% M269 in North Macedonia which gave me a clue to the route. I believe L23 and some M269 left Armenia to Turkey where there is 10% L23. Past Istanbul and into Greece and followed the Axios river into North Macedonia and the Ibar river to Belgrade and then the Sava river into Slovenia. Then follow the Po river in Northern Italy to Aosta, Italy. Take the Great St. Bernard Pass to Martigny in the canton of Valais, Switzerland. This is where there is 27% L23 in the Upper Rhone Valley. I believe the L51 > L11 > P312 and U106 formed in this Valley. The U106 went north to Germany and Scandinavia. The P312 divided into L21 and went northwest to Britain, to DF27 and went southwest to Iberian Peninsula Spain and Portugal, and to U152 and went south to Italy. What do you think of this path?

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joanne For This Useful Post:

     asquecco (10-07-2020),  Cascio (10-07-2020)

  7. #5
    Banned
    Posts
    13,888
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Way too far west. L51 came from the steppe. There are informed leaks that papers are coming soon that show this in ancient samples, but we already have L51 in early Corded Ware and in Afanasievo out in Mongolia.

    If L51 had formed in the Upper Rhone Valley, we should be seeing some of its precursors in Neolithic and Mesolithic Europe west of the steppe, but we don't.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Alain (10-07-2020),  GoldenHind (10-07-2020),  Jessie (10-08-2020)

  9. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,071
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indo-europeen
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y33 Kurgan/ CWC
    mtDNA (M)
    H76

    European Union Poland Germany Lithuania Romania Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    Agreed. My old mantra on the Bell Beakers was Bell Beakers are not Bell Beakers are not Bell Beakers.

    We are seeing the same thing for the Corded Ware. Corded Ware is not Corded Ware is not Corded Ware. It's a broad archaeological horizon, not a tribe. It's not even a specific culture.

    Likewise, the Yamnaya were not all alike and the fringes and adjacent areas may have had steppes herders too. There were probably few if any clear boundaries. The Proto-Indo-European base probably did not respect clear boundaries either.

    I guess the other old adage still applies too. The pottery is not the people.

    In the article I will post I will try to post some scholarly article links but will leave open the route route from L23 to P312 and U106 as an open question. It looks doubtful at this point that it accompanied Z2103 along the Danube? Not impossible but doubtful?
    One sees CW definitely as a cultural horizon What is present for the Corded Ware culture, as the name suggests
    characteristic vessel decoration in the grooved pattern running around with a cord in the
    Clay can be pressed in (A-cup), and later also partly own
    Have regional developments and influences in ceramics.
    Other common features of this culture are the burial rite and the typical
    "Battle ax" (ax), hence the outdated name battle ax culture, in
    some regions (Eastern Europe) the corded ware are also more common arrow and
    Arches included as grave goods.
    Other important grave goods are daggers made of copper, flint (flint), pieces of jewelry,
    In addition to cups and amphorae (A-amphora), vessel shapes also include cups or bowls.
    Individual burial in a stool position is very characteristic of the Corded Ware culture
    under burial mounds (tumulus / kurgan), the dead were with their legs drawn up on their side
    buried lying down. Characteristic and formative for Corded Ware is one consistent
    "Bipolar" burial mode
    This means that opposite burials are common for men and women.
    The dead of Central European Corded Ware are mostly in the east-west axis
    the women on the left with their heads facing east, the men on the right with their heads facing
    West, the so-called "line of sight", is south for both sexes.
    In Eastern Europe, on the other hand, the dominant dead position of Corded Ware is the north-south axis
    and the "line of sight" for both sexes to the east.
    Here, too, it is customary that women always turn to the left and men always turn to the right
    Are buried in the stool.


    For me, these are based on a culture that is again divided into groups, for example the northern group with SGC or boat axe culture
    Last edited by Alain; 10-07-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    Alain Dad
    Y-DNA R1a-Y33 Eastern Corderd Ware Culture Baltoslavic/ old Pruzzen
    H76 czech Republic/England (Celtic tribes ?) W3a1d Yamnaya Culture, Samara /Pontic steppe
    Scytho-sarmatian.

    Eurogenes Global 25 Calculator/Modern

    My:
    Polish: 27.8%
    German: 21.9%
    Greek_Central_Macedonia: 20.0%
    Italian_Bergamo: 17.4%
    Russian_Voronez: 10.4%
    Mari: 2%
    Moldovan: 0.2%
    Italian_Northeast: 0.2%
    Other: 0.1%

  10. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Ethnicity
    anglo-saxon
    Nationality
    British

    On Family TreeDNA Forum, Stevo started a topic Single Grave Corded Ware R1b-L51. He posted a Google spreadsheet showing the R1b found in corded ware so far. Sample MX304 from 2866 B.C. is from Auvernier, Switzerland and it is L52. Sample Aes25 from 2864 B.C.is from Aesch, Switzerland and it is L51 > L52 > L151. Paper coming soon!!

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joanne For This Useful Post:

     Alain (10-08-2020),  Jessie (10-08-2020),  palamede (10-08-2020),  rms2 (10-08-2020)

  12. #8
    Banned
    Posts
    13,888
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by joanne View Post
    On Family TreeDNA Forum, Stevo started a topic Single Grave Corded Ware R1b-L51. He posted a Google spreadsheet showing the R1b found in corded ware so far. Sample MX304 from 2866 B.C. is from Auvernier, Switzerland and it is L52. Sample Aes25 from 2864 B.C.is from Aesch, Switzerland and it is L51 > L52 > L151. Paper coming soon!!
    That's me.

    Those Swiss finds are early Corded Ware with plenty of steppe dna. No kind of R1b-M269, and no steppe dna, were found that far west before the third millennium BC. Both things arrived from the East, and they arrived in the same package.

  13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Alain (10-08-2020),  ArmandoR1b (10-17-2020),  Jessie (10-08-2020),  palamede (10-08-2020),  R.Rocca (10-08-2020),  razyn (10-08-2020),  Scat (10-28-2020),  TigerMW (10-13-2020),  Wing Genealogist (10-08-2020)

Similar Threads

  1. The mystery of Y R1b-V88 in West Central Africa
    By talljimmy0 in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-18-2019, 09:20 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-08-2018, 01:12 AM
  3. Central-West Asian Y-DNA I
    By DMXX in forum I
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-08-2017, 02:26 PM
  4. Replies: 512
    Last Post: 09-09-2015, 02:51 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 04:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •