Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mal'ta boy dental analisys

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdTerm View Post
    The Mal'ta boy (MA-1) from Lake Baikal has a Paleolithic European genetic profile with mtDNA hg U and Y-DNA hg R*, which are typical West Eurasian haplogroups. MA-1 is remotely related to Native Americans as it is estimated that 14-38% of the ancestry of Native Americans traces to a population like the one living at Mal'ta 24,000 years ago (Raghavan et al. 2014). Turner's book on Ice Age Siberia was published in 2013 (Cambridge University Press). He may have been familiar with the genetic makeup of the Mal'ta boy and rightly guessed the Mal'ta boy's background. I accessed a portion of the book on the Mal'ta site (pp. 173-183) but there is no mention of the EDAR gene common in East Asia.
    Mal'ta SNP data is free on the Reich Lab site. I checked, he has the ancestral (non-Asian) allele for the EDAR gene. AfontovaGora-2 has no result for the same SNP. AfontovaGora-3 has the ancestral too.
    Last edited by madaleninha; 05-04-2020 at 11:44 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to madaleninha For This Useful Post:

palamede (05-05-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by etrusco View Post
    With the premise that I'm just amateurish but it seems to me that Reich overestimates the difference between northern and southern europeans, maybe because he's missing the fact that ANE itself is made up of a predominantly west eurasian source basically

ANE= 75% EWE or CWE ( early west eurasian or common west eurasian) 25% ANA ( ancient north Asia)
    so both northern and southern europeans are overall the same population but because of the more ANE in northern europe ( brought at the time of the steppe introgression) northern europeans are more pulled toward north asia while southern europeans have less of this component and at the same time are slightly more pulled toward a more basal eurasian source which makes sense from a geographical point of view.

Or maybe I'm just uttering BS
    It is interesting that Sikora in "The population history of northeastern Siberia since the Pleistocene" models Mal'ta as 88% Ancient North Siberian, 12% "ancestral caucasian". The article predates the Dzudzuana pre-print. Perhaps, when the data from the Dzudzuana hunter-gatherers is free, we can model the origin of the Mal'ta boy better.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to madaleninha For This Useful Post:

palamede (05-05-2020)

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA (M)
    H28a/H1b5(Wife)

Quote Originally Posted by etrusco View Post
    With the premise that I'm just amateurish but it seems to me that Reich overestimates the difference between northern and southern europeans, maybe because he's missing the fact that ANE itself is made up of a predominantly west eurasian source basically

ANE= 75% EWE or CWE ( early west eurasian or common west eurasian) 25% ANA ( ancient north Asia)
    so both northern and southern europeans are overall the same population but because of the more ANE in northern europe ( brought at the time of the steppe introgression) northern europeans are more pulled toward north asia while southern europeans have less of this component and at the same time are slightly more pulled toward a more basal eurasian source which makes sense from a geographical point of view.

Or maybe I'm just uttering BS
    I agree the idea that Northern Europeans are between Sardinians and Native Americans is quite wrong. Even EHG is not much closer to Amerindians than to Anatolia_Barcin on Global25 and Yamnaya was much closer to Anatolia_Barcin than to any Amerindians. Sardinians would be even closer to EHG/Yamnaya. Intermediate between Amerindians and Europeans would be rather WSHG and some ancient Central Asian groups but they died out.

Distance to Rus_Samara_HG

0.42698595 Anatolia_Barcin_N
    0.44269656 USA_Ancient_Beringian

Distance to: Yamnaya_RUS_Samara

0.33822432 Anatolia_Barcin_N
    0.46671352 USA_Ancient_Beringian

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coldmountains For This Useful Post:

etrusco (05-05-2020),  MethCat (06-15-2020),  palamede (05-05-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12