Thread: European admixture In Latinos

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Quote Originally Posted by Piquerobi View Post
    On 23andme, Gedmatch and Family Tree DNA I have found cousins from Cuba who worked at airports, police departments, etc. They're not all rich at all. Spanish input in Cuba is high even though if going by the averages only of customers on 23andme, f.e, the results may be skewed. This is from a study on Cuba:

Attachment 37553

The samples, by %:

https://journals.plos.org/plosgeneti...l.pgen.1004488
    But even if we take these results you show us, the samples of GEDmatch posted by thread starter put at least 80% of Cubans in the 80-100% European range, it's extremely unrealistic. Nobody is contending that is possible to find people of high European ancestry among poor Latin Americans, but if you test 100 upper class Latin Americans vs 100 slum dwellers the average results will be considerably different.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

passenger (05-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Caius Agrippa View Post
    But even if we take these results you show us, the samples of GEDmatch posted by thread starter put at least 80% of Cubans in the 80-100% European range, it's extremely unrealistic.
    I agree that it is skewed but it is informative in that many Cubans are indeed highly Spanish in ancestry. That's what I have seen on 23andme and elsewhere for about a decade. Not all are rich. A Cuban cousin of mine, f.e, was a modest policeman in the US. And his mother was a Spaniard from the Canary Islands and his father a Spaniard from Galicia. In my opinion most live by average means in the US.
    Last edited by Piquerobi; 05-11-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L664
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-M253

Germany Prussia
    You just showed how immensely unrepresentative our spreadsheet is. Your source says:

Quote Originally Posted by Paper
    The pooled ancestry contributions were 0.62 EUR, 0.21 AFR, and 0.17AMR. The Southern region had a greater EUR contribution (0.77) than other regions.
    While the spreadsheet that these graphs are based on put the average Brazilian at around 80% European. That is higher than the European average of Southern Brazil in the pooled papers, which is the most European region of Brazil by a large margin. This is an average of 159 Brazilian 23andme results:

Needless to say the average is well over 80% European, and here is the average for Northeastern Brazil using these same kits:
    Region: Northeast Sample Size:41 Euro:81.49 MENA:1.08 NA:5.17 SSA:10.62 S. Asian:0.04 Ocean.:0.00

Again, more European than the Southern Brazilian average in the pooled papers. As you can see, my point holds. Neither our spreadsheet of Gedmatch kits, nor the average of 23andme Brazilians are close to being representative of the general populace.

Registered Users
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    This is an average of 159 Brazilian 23andme results:.
    I was not addressing the spreadsheet you mentioned. I was addressing the spreadsheet made by 23andme, posted here by Nazut, which sets Brazil at 70% to 75% Euro, which is not far off from the average of several studies I quoted, 62%. The Gedmatch average is not over 80% either. It is about 70% to 75% too. Skewed? Yes. Representative only of the rich? Definitely no. As I said the rich are a tiny minority all over the globe, particularly in Brazil. Most getting tested are middle to lower middle class. Many poor immigrants in the US. And some of poor background having always lived in Brazil, like myself.
    Last edited by Piquerobi; 05-12-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Puerto Rico Cuba
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazut View Post
    Someone In another forum collected thousands of gedmatch and did this study. What you think?

For example approx 25-30% of Mexicans fall within 50-60% Euro range and 20% 70-100% European

I think that these results are at best representative of some urban populations. There are many indigenous communities in Mexico, Argentina and Brazil that are likely less than 10% European. Perhaps due to their hunter-gatherer lifestyle, they're less likely to get their DNA analysed by these companies. If I remember it correctly, in Colombia there are some ethnicities or populations with a much higher % of African DNA. As others have said, there might be substantial genetic structure within the same country.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Milkyway For This Useful Post:

Nazut (05-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L664
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-M253

Germany Prussia
    Quote Originally Posted by Piquerobi View Post
    I was not addressing the spreadsheet you mentioned. I was addressing the spreasheet made by 23andme, posted here by Nazut, which sets Brazil at 70% to 75% Euro, which is not far off from the average of several studies I quoted, 62%. The Gedmatch average is not over 80% either. It is about 70% to 75% too. Skewed? Yes. Representative only of the rich as you claimed? Definitely no. As I said the rich are a tiny minority all over the globe, particularly in Brazil. Most getting tested are middle to lower middle class. Many poor immigrants in the US. And some of poor background having always lived in Brazil, like myself.
    The average is not about 70%, it is about 80%. I told you i have the spreadsheet, do you want me to calculate the average and show you?

Registered Users
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    The average is not about 70%, it is about 80%. I told you i have the spreadsheet, do you want me to calculate the average and show you?
    I was referring to these results posted by Nazut:

23andmeavg_ancestry_south_american.pngGedmatchkLFWycb.png

To me, the results above are in the 70%/75% range. Am I wrong here?

Anyway, I agree that they are skewed overall. The only way to know for sure would be to test everybody from the Rio Grande to Ushuaia.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkyway View Post
    I think that these results are at best representative of some urban populations. There are many indigenous communities in Mexico, Argentina and Brazil that are likely less than 10% European. Perhaps due to their hunter-gatherer lifestyle, they're less likely to get their DNA analysed by these companies. If I remember it correctly, in Colombia there are some ethnicities or populations with a much higher % of African DNA. As others have said, there might be substantial genetic structure within the same country.
    Us Latin Americans are truly a beauty melting pot we inhered the best traits of our white European Amerindian and black ancestors

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Quote Originally Posted by Milkyway View Post
    True indigenous population, with 100% Native ancestry, make up less than 1% of Brazil. And that number including people who may not be 100% indigenous or even predominantly indigenous but identify as indigenous. There are some Brazilians, not necessarily indigenous, over 20%, 30% Native American. And a bigger % over 20,30% African. In some cases you can find even predominantly Africans. I think 15-20% of Brazilian population is at least 40-50% African, and it does not show in the GEDmatch and 23andme results here. In Facebook groups I saw the results of Brazilians who are 85% Sub-Sahara, 67% Sub-Sahara, 50% Sub-Sahara, they are not rare at all, but these types aren't represented in the results here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

Milkyway (05-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Rio de Janeiro Colonial
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1 FGC6064+ M365+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1ao1

Suebi Kingdom Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ Brazilian Empire Brazil
    Brazil is extremely complex and we can find completely different admixtures from different parts of Europe, Africa, Asia and America. We can find people with 100% from the same ethnic composition from the past in people from different regions from Europe, Africa, Asia and America and different proportions.
    Milton Nascimento is almost 100% African (Sérgio Danilo Pena - (UFMG) Laboratório Gene)
    https://www.bbc.com/portuguese/repor...ilton_cg.shtml
    The question of the average mixture is quite complicated and as I wrote depends on region, class and social groups.
    J1 FGC5987 to FGC6175 (188 new SNPs)
    MDKAs before Colonial Brazil
    Y-DNA - Milhazes, Barcelos, Minho, Portugal.
    mtDNA - Ilha Terceira, Azores, Portugal
    North_Swedish + PT + PT + PT @ 3.96 EUtest 4

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RCO For This Useful Post:

Milkyway (05-12-2020),  passenger (05-12-2020)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast