Ethnicity
    Coptic Egyptian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-ZS12454
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b - Tara

Semitic/Middle eastern focus on lineage and pedigree

Hello,

Wasn't sure where the best place would be to put this thread so sorry if it's the wrong place. One thing I noticed in my quest to decode my father's line and my mother's line is that middle eastern people in general, especially Jews and Arabs are obsessed with pedigree and lineage, specifically the father's line. Why is that? Where did they appear in history? I even heard of ancient Arabs engraving stones and large rocks with their lineage so this practice must have been very very old.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lifeisdandy For This Useful Post:

subzero85 (10-27-2020)

good question,

because Arab feel proud in their fathers lines and their tripe history.

regards,

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-FGC3712
    mtDNA (M)
    HV1a'b'c
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-BY33575
    mtDNA (P)
    T1b

Austria Italy
    Haha, so I definitely know where I got my my genealogimania from! It's my Semitic ancestry!

Good question though...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>DF27>DF17
    mtDNA (M)
    L2a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2>M67>CTS6804
    mtDNA (P)
    L3e2

Cuba Lebanon France Spain
    Arabs are very proud of their ancestry. My grandpa is Lebanese, and he takes pride in the oral history of his paternal forefathers. He claims to be descended from the Ghassanid kings (his last name is Ghassan in Arabic) and Phoenicians.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qallezan65 For This Useful Post:

lifeisdandy (10-27-2020),  subzero85 (10-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Lebanese
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    X2i

Lebanon Albania United States of America
    I think this is very common all around the world, especially before the modern era. Basically, if you can link yourself to some noble lineage you gain more social prestige. Especially in the Middle East where people care so much about your family and origins. It is funny actually because I have seen many Lebanese families with the surname Husseini, who are supposed to be all descendants of Mohammad through his grandson Hussein. The thing is that all these Husseini's have different Y-DNA, which means they cant all be descendants of Hussein... Same thing in Europe where many families tried their best to connect their family to saints or kings for the prestige and nobility. Except now in much of the Western world no one is going to make you more important because of your family. Also funny is that throughout my whole father's side of the family there is a 'legend' that we are descendants of Emir Fakhr al-Din, Prince of Mount Lebanon... I mean, it's possible but I am more sure it is just another story. People like to make themselves important by connecting themselves with important figures, although this leads some people to make fake lineages.
    78.1% Lebanese (Lebanon) + 21.9% Kosovar (Kosovo) @ 3.3

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KingofPhoenicia001 For This Useful Post:

Awale (10-28-2020),  drobbah (05-15-2020),  lifeisdandy (10-27-2020),  Stellaritic (05-15-2020),  subzero85 (10-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

So in your quest of obsessing over your father's and mother's line you noticed that other peoples are just as obsessed as you and you find that odd? Why not find the answer by asking yourself why you yourself are obsessed over your paternal and maternal lines?
    Last edited by Jammies; 05-14-2020 at 02:11 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Coptic Egyptian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-ZS12454
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b - Tara

Quote Originally Posted by Jammies View Post
    So in your quest of obsessing over your father's and mother's line you noticed that other peoples are just as obsessed as you and you find that odd? Why not find the answer by asking yourself why you yourself are obsessed over your paternal and maternal lines?
    The reason I am on my quest us because I dont know. But tons and tons of arabs are funding ftdna right now through only ydna testing to PROVE something.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisdandy View Post
    The reason I am on my quest us because I dont know. But tons and tons of arabs are funding ftdna right now through only ydna testing to PROVE something.
    To prove their geneology isn't made up?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Coptic Egyptian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-ZS12454
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b - Tara

yes exactly lol... you have no idea how much ruckus its causing btw

Quote Originally Posted by Jammies View Post
    To prove their geneology isn't made up?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Aegean Greek + NW Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a

Greece United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by DNADiver View Post
    because Arab feel proud in their fathers lines and their tripe history.
    Tripe history? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant to write something else there.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michalis Moriopoulos For This Useful Post:

Awale (10-28-2020),  JoeyP37 (05-15-2020),  lifeisdandy (10-27-2020),  pmokeefe (10-27-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast