Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Old Albanian & Proto-Albanian

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    541
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

    Albania Kosovo

    Old Albanian & Proto-Albanian

    A first of its kind recital of Old Albanian for anybody curious to how it sounds:

    https://twitter.com/AlbHistory/statu...31837143187457

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Johane Derite For This Useful Post:

     Kelmendasi (05-19-2020)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    541
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

    Albania Kosovo
    So far, these are the oldest sources we have of Old Albanian in the two major dialects of Gheg & Tosk.

    (This is not including small fragments, letters, or passages of Old Albanian):






  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    541
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

    Albania Kosovo
    The earliest yet passage is from 1462 and comes from Skanderbeg's counsellor, Pal Engjelli, in Gheg:

    "I baptise you in the name of the Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost"


    ""

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Johane Derite For This Useful Post:

     Kelmendasi (05-19-2020)

  6. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    541
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

    Albania Kosovo
    An altar dedicated to the God "Andino" discovered in Kaanik, Kosovo.

    This was a Dardanian / Illyrian god (Proto-Albanian) god also.

    A god of love given its most likely etymology:

    Related to Albanian. " nd " [desire, inclination, pleasure]





  7. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    541
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

    Albania Kosovo
    Albanian. "Gjak" (Blood) comes from Pre-Proto Albanian. *źakʉh which came from Proto-Indo-European *sokʷos.

    This also gave:

    Lithuanian. "Sakai" [resin]
    Slavic. "Sok" [juice]
    Ancient Greek. "ops" (ὀπός) [juice]
    Last edited by Johane Derite; 05-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Johane Derite For This Useful Post:

     JoeyP37 (05-27-2020)

  9. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    541
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

    Albania Kosovo
    In an Old Bulgarian text from early 1000's, we have a reference to Albanians as "Arbanasi."

    The Albanians are listed under "half-believers" alongside Germans, Saxons, etc, probably meaning Christian, but not Orthodox enough somehow.


  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johane Derite For This Useful Post:

     Kelmendasi (05-29-2020),  td120 (05-30-2020)

  11. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    784
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-ZS241
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1l
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-CTS1273*

    Albania Kosovo Montenegro
    Quote Originally Posted by Johane Derite View Post
    In an Old Bulgarian text from early 1000's, we have a reference to Albanians as "Arbanasi."

    The Albanians are listed under "half-believers" alongside Germans, Saxons, etc, probably meaning Christian, but not Orthodox enough somehow.

    I think this makes sense considering that linguistic evidence suggests that the Albanians, or Proto-Albanians, were Christianised under Roman Catholic influence. There is also further historical evidence which tells us that between the 1st and 8th centuries CE, the churches in the region were all under Papal jurisdiction.

    It's interesting how the Armenians are also mentioned as "half-believers" despite Orthodox Christianity being dominant in the region, even during the Middle Ages. I'd guess that this could be because of the rise of heretical sects of Christianity in Armenia during this time period, such as the Tondrakians.
    Last edited by Kelmendasi; 05-29-2020 at 11:19 PM.
    Ydna: J1>P58>YSC234>ZS241

    Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS5856*

    Mtdna: T1a1l

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelmendasi For This Useful Post:

     Johane Derite (05-30-2020)

  13. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    548
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Johane Derite View Post
    Albanian. "Gjak" (Blood) comes from Pre-Proto Albanian. *źakʉh which came from Proto-Indo-European *sokʷos.

    This also gave:

    Lithuanian. "Sakai" [resin]
    Slavic. "Sok" [juice]
    Ancient Greek. "ops" (ὀπός) [juice]
    Turkish has a word sakız meaning "(chewing) gum, resin," but I suppose it may be a coincidental lookalike.

  14. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    96
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian

    Bulgaria
    "Eзыкь" in the above text is used in its Old Slavonic general meaning of "people", "ethnos" .

    http://histdict.uni-sofia.bg/oldbgdi...g_show/d_11060

    In a biblical context "езыкь" can also mean "gentile people" ; pagans, aposthates etc.

    The Armenan Church is non-Chalcedonian that is why it is lumped with the other non-Orthodox churches and along with the Catholics.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Ch...n_Christianity

    This apocryphal story is dated XIII-first half of XIV c. (the fact that Catholics are called half-believers places the text definitely after the Great Schism of 1054).

    The Tarnovo Inscription of Tsar Ivan II Asen speaks of "Arbanas" land:



    “In the year 6738 (1230), third indiction, I, John Asen, in God Christ true Tsar and sovereign of the Bulgarians, son of the old Tsar Asen, raised from the foundations and decorated with art this holy church in the name of the Holy Forty Martyrs, with the help of whom in the twelfth year of my reign when this temple was being decorated, I made war in Byzantium and defeated the Greek army and captured their Tsar, Kyr Teodore Komnenos, together with all his bolyars. And I occupied all of his land from Odrin (Adrianople) to Drach (Dyrrhachium), Greek and also Albanian (АРБАНАСКѪ) and Serbian; the towns around Constantinople and this very town were ruled by the Frizes (Latins), but they also subjugated to my empire; because they had no other Tsar but me and thanks to me they spent their days, because God ordered this, because without Him neither a deed, nor a word is done. Glory to Him forever, amen."
    Last edited by td120; 05-30-2020 at 10:02 AM.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to td120 For This Useful Post:

     Johane Derite (05-30-2020),  Kelmendasi (05-30-2020),  Michał (05-31-2020)

  16. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    541
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

    Albania Kosovo
    Quote Originally Posted by td120 View Post
    "Eзыкь" in the above text is used in its Old Slavonic general meaning of "people", "ethnos" .

    http://histdict.uni-sofia.bg/oldbgdi...g_show/d_11060

    In a biblical context "езыкь" can also mean "gentile people" ; pagans, aposthates etc.

    The Armenan Church is non-Chalcedonian that is why it is lumped with the other non-Orthodox churches and along with the Catholics.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Ch...n_Christianity

    This apocryphal story is dated XIII-first half of XIV c. (the fact that Catholics are called half-believers places the text definitely after the Great Schism of 1054).

    The Tarnovo Inscription of Tsar Ivan II Asen speaks of "Arbanas" land:



    “In the year 6738 (1230), third indiction, I, John Asen, in God Christ true Tsar and sovereign of the Bulgarians, son of the old Tsar Asen, raised from the foundations and decorated with art this holy church in the name of the Holy Forty Martyrs, with the help of whom in the twelfth year of my reign when this temple was being decorated, I made war in Byzantium and defeated the Greek army and captured their Tsar, Kyr Teodore Komnenos, together with all his bolyars. And I occupied all of his land from Odrin (Adrianople) to Drach (Dyrrhachium), Greek and also Albanian (АРБАНАСКѪ) and Serbian; the towns around Constantinople and this very town were ruled by the Frizes (Latins), but they also subjugated to my empire; because they had no other Tsar but me and thanks to me they spent their days, because God ordered this, because without Him neither a deed, nor a word is done. Glory to Him forever, amen."
    Radoslav Grujic dated it before the schism, despite this dichotomy being present. His reasoning is here:

    LINK: http://periodica.fzf.ukim.edu.mk/GSN...31A5kHf4AkqoCw

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Johane Derite For This Useful Post:

     td120 (05-30-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Albanian
    By Glauk in forum Southern
    Replies: 1956
    Last Post: 07-05-2020, 12:34 PM
  2. Albanian DNA Project
    By J Man in forum Southern
    Replies: 1242
    Last Post: 06-08-2020, 02:48 AM
  3. Albanian Linguistics
    By Johane Derite in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 05-07-2020, 06:57 PM
  4. Messapian - Albanian connection
    By Johane Derite in forum Other
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2018, 04:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •