mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales

Request for Y-STR (and Y-SNP) data

The following has been posted by Dr. Iain McDonald on behalf of the Y-DNA Warehouse:

Dear all,

I have two requests for information from everyone on this forum. Please feel free to distribute this request off-forum if you wish.

1. Family Tree DNA customers: Sharing Y-STRs via the Y-DNA Data Warehouse.

As recently discussed on the forum, calling of the Y-STRs appears to have been updated by Family Tree DNA. This hopefully provides us with a stable list of Y-STRs for the forseeable future. James Kane has set up the option to upload STRs via the Y-DNA Warehouse, and we're asking you to do this now if you are happy to do so. The main purpose of this upload is that people like myself, James, and Alex Williamson have the permissions we need from you to use these Y-STR information in the public domain, whether that's through journal publications, Alex's Big Tree, or any other mechanism. This also gives us the raw data we need to look at determining Y-STR mutation rates and other information.

The upload can be performed using the following steps:
    (a) Go to your Family Tree DNA account, and click on "Y-STR Results".
    (b) Click on the "CSV" button at the bottom of the page to download your data.
    (c) Go to the Warehouse: https://ydna-warehouse.org/submit.php
    (d) Fill in the relevant information, especially your kit number and setting "Test type" = "STR panel".
    (e) Select the "Direct upload" tab at the bottom of the page and browse for the CSV file you just downloaded.
    (f) Acknowledge the Data Policy (please read!) and submit.

If you haven't uploaded your BigY or BigY-700 results yet, please do so too!

I won't have time in the coming weeks to troubleshoot many people's efforts to do this. If you struggle, don't let it stress you out! If your specific results are highly important, I'll contact you directly.

2. Recording triangulated ancestries.

An important part of proving genealogies, and of calibrating mutation rates of both Y-STRs and Y-SNPs, is triangulated lineages. These are two people who have taken similar tests, who can also trace their ancestors back to a single, known, named most-recent common ancestor. However, no-one is maintaining a list of these anywhere.

I have set up a document here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    where this information can be collected for any haplogroup.

There are four tabs at the bottom. "Intro" provides an introduction. "FAQ" gives detailed information on the data we're looking for, if you're unsure. "New data" is where you should stick your information. "Curated data" is where I will put the information once I've had a chance to process it.

I apologise that the input form is a little complex. This is because there are a variety of ways in which data could be entered, namely whether you're entering two related people, or a wider related family.

If it's just two people, then you need to put in your most-distant known ancestor, your most-recent known ancestor (who may be the same person), and the information of the two people who are related. You can optionally link to genealogies and provide notes.

If it's more than two people, you need to put in every node on the tree. So if you've tested your first cousin and third cousin, you need to put in two rows: first, the relationship between you and your first cousin; and, second, the relationship between your grandfather and your third cousin.

Please note that putting information in here becomes a matter of public record. If you post any information on behalf of someone else, you should be happy that they are ok with this. Please don't enter names of living people. Birth dates of living people are strictly optional: we can make a good guess otherwise. Please also make sure that relevant SNP and STR data from both kits is uploaded to the Warehouse: the kit numbers entered on the form will be matched up with the kit numbers in the Warehouse to provide cross-identification. Please also don't include speculative matches - just ones with solid genealogies that you're at least 99% sure are correct!

I am mainly looking for pairs of BigY tests here. However, if you want to include any people who have only taken Y-STR tests, you are welcome to do so, as we can still use this for STR calibration purposes.

Family Tree DNA customers: On a related note, I'd ask you to also fill out your Family Tree at Family Tree DNA to include these relationships and link your matches. Note that you need to fill out the complete genealogy, so for a second cousin, you'd have to enter your father, grandfather, great-grandfather, great-uncle, first cousin once removed and second cousin, then link the test of your second cousin to that person in the tree. This is a bit laborious, but it lets Family Tree DNA know that a relationship exists, which they can use in their own Y-STR mutation rate estimates.

Again, if you struggle with this process, don't worry. I will probably need most of my available time to curate the data that comes in, and fill in the genetic blanks. Let any teething problems get sorted out, then see if the system makes more sense.

Cheers,

Iain.
    Gedmatch DNA: M032736 Gedcom: 6613110.
    Gedmatch Genesis: WH4547538
    co-administrator: Y-DNA R-U106 Haplogroup Project

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

JMcB (05-24-2020),  rms2 (05-24-2020),  slievenamon (05-24-2020)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I'll probably do all that, but it may not be today. Today looks a little busy, plus I have to wrangle some permissions from a couple of other people who share the same y-dna mdka with me.

Glad to see the effort is being made.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (05-24-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    FGC5511*
    mtDNA (M)
    H9a

Austria Hungary Ireland United States of America
    Thank you Wing Genealogist for the post.
    Grand idea, Iain. Exactly what our DNA Project needs!
    Will share with our membership and obtain necessary permissions.
    Thanks, again...
    390=21
    459a/b=9/9
    YCA II a/b=22/23
    557=15
    572=10
    RA1496 T+, RA1487 T+, DF23-, L1066-, L21+, M153-, M222-, M269+, M37-, M65-, P312+, P66-, SRY2627-, U106-, U152-, Z253-

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Submitted my csv of STRs and my Big Y-700 VCF today. Trying to get a couple of other guys who share the same y-chromosome mdka with me to go in with me for "2. Recording triangulated ancestries".

One of them I'm pretty sure will do it, because he is into it. The other guy is a good guy, but I'm not sure he'll go for this.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

I still have not heard back from the two guys I am trying to agree to the "2. Recording triangulated ancestries" part.

Will Alex's Big Tree be the main product of all these data, or will there be some other thing we can take a look at?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

sheepslayer (06-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

Duplicate post
    Last edited by Wing Genealogist; 06-01-2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    [SNIP] Will Alex's Big Tree be the main product of all these data, or will there be some other thing we can take a look at?
    I don't know any more than what I posted in the OP. I do know Iain has been working on a major revision to his age estimation, and wanted to include STR results, so it is likely he will use the STR data from this as well.
    Last edited by Wing Genealogist; 06-01-2020 at 04:49 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (06-02-2020),  sheepslayer (06-01-2020)