Thread: Are there notable differences between Eastern Bantu and West Africans (Niger-Congo)?

Sex
    Omitted

Are there notable differences between Eastern Bantu and West Africans (Niger-Congo)?

Reading this article, I see that the DNA in Kenya/Tanzania Bantus are different from W.Africa

I can usually tell apart east asians like Vietnamese vs Chinese, vs Korean etc. Would I be able to tell apart a Beninese / Ghanean from someone from Uganda or Tanzania/Kenya? Are their DNA that different? Also, what about Angolans and Congolese, are they more similar to West Africa or to East Africa?

I am a newbie so be kind on the technical terminology! Haha=)
    Last edited by curiouscat3; 05-28-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Somaliland Ethiopia Adal Sultanate Yemen Canada
    SE African countries like Kenya (minus Cushitic populations),Tanzania, and the great lakes regions have admixed with Nilotic speakers, local hunter-gatherers and Cushitic pastoralists, the coast also has additional Arab/Indian admixture due to the Indian Ocean sea trade routes.All of this is why South East Africans probably look very different from the coastal West Africans

Target: Mother_scaled
    Distance: 5.4903% / 0.05490334
    50.8 Dinka
    35.8 Levant_Natufian
    9.0 Yemenite_Al_Jawf
    4.0 ETH_4500BP
    0.4 MAR_Taforalt

Target: Drobbah_scaled
    Distance: 5.1638% / 0.05163817
    44.8 Dinka
    36.0 Levant_Natufian
    11.6 ETH_4500BP
    6.2 Yemenite_Al_Jawf
    1.4 MAR_EN

Target: Father_scaled
    Distance: 5.5604% / 0.05560439
    48.0 Dinka
    42.0 Levant_Natufian
    8.6 ETH_4500BP
    1.0 MAR_EN
    0.4 Yemenite_Al_Jawf

Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat3 View Post
    Reading this article, I see that the DNA in Kenya/Tanzania Bantus are different from W.Africa

I can usually tell apart east asians like Vietnamese vs Chinese, vs Korean etc. Would I be able to tell apart a Beninese / Ghanean from someone from Uganda or Tanzania/Kenya? Are their DNA that different? Also, what about Angolans and Congolese, are they more similar to West Africa or to East Africa, phenotpically?

I am a newbie so be kind on the technical terminology! Haha=)
    Africa is incredibly genetically diverse, as you can find reported in numerous articles and studies, but speaking about sub-equatorial Africa, the Bantu migrations do seem to have brought some degree of homogeneity to predominantly Bantu-admixed populations in Central and Southern Africa, with greater diversity likely occurring due to the localized predominance of pre-Bantu populations, like the "pgymies" (Mbuti, Twa and Mbenga) or the Khoisan, rather than due to divergence among East-Coast and West-Coast Bantu peoples, as discussed in this article https://www.jstor.org/stable/4146689...o_tab_contents. In the case of Angola, the traditional model holds that the country was originally inhabited by both Twa and Khoisan peoples, before receiving waves of migration along both the north to south axis of the Bantu expansion out of Cameroon and an east to west axis coming from Bantu who settled the Great Lakes region before turning southwest. The study from the link complicates this view, but in any case, most modern-day Angolans are predominantly Bantu and have affinities with both West and East Africans, but they are also admixed with the Twa and Khoisan. However there are still Khoisan in Southern Angola as well as Bantus who have heavier Khoisan admixture, and from what I've seen there is a greater genetic distance between Khoisan and Bantus than between any two Bantu groups.

As for phenotypes, that's a whole other story. I think whether or not you can spot generic differences between peoples from different regions will in large part depend on how exposed you are to them. It's best to avoid phenotype discussions in this forum though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

drobbah (05-28-2020)