mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland German Confederation Italy Two Sicilies France

ENGLAND AND THE IRISH-SEA ZONE IN THE ELEVENTH CENTURY

For the possible interest of some:

ENGLAND AND THE IRISH-SEA ZONE IN THE ELEVENTH CENTURY
    Clare Downham
    University of Liverpool

Many historical studies have been written about Anglo-Irish relations in the years immediately after the English invasion of Ireland in 1169. That the invasion should have an important place in research is understandable, given its long-term impact and its implications in recent historical and political debate. In contrast, very few publications have focused on Anglo-Irish political interaction in the eleventh century. In this paper, I hope to draw more attention to this somewhat neglected field of enquiry. The emphasis of historical scholarship on the invasion and its aftermath has perhaps influenced the interpretation of earlier events. The issues in the eleventh century which have been studied most are those which can be seen to foreshadow the later invasion. These include Canterbury’s claims of ecclesiastical primacy, and the alleged ambitions of Knútr or William the Conqueror to dominate Irish rulers. Meanwhile, research on a wider range of issues has been lacking. The resulting narrative gives a rather selective view of events. This hindsight perspective has, I suggest, meant that England’s domination of Irish rulers in the eleventh century has tended to be exaggerated. Furthermore Ireland’s impact on England has generally been underestimated. In this paper I seek to highlight Ireland’s significance in English affairs from the reign of Æthelred the Unready to that of William Rufus.

From the late ninth century Ireland’s main contacts with England were through the viking towns of Dublin, Waterford and Limerick. In the late tenth century, these ports were dominated by the Hiberno-Scandinavian dynasty of Ívarr. Members of this family also ruled the Isle of Man and the Hebrides. Thus they were a significant power in Irish Sea politics. However, divisions within the dynasty enabled Irish provincial overkings to win increasing influence over the viking towns from the late tenth century. The wealth and military resources of these ports came to be regarded as significant to those Irish leaders who sought to rule as much of Ireland as possible. As Seán Duffy has noted, Irish kings tended to become increasingly involved in Irish Sea affairs in the eleventh century, as a consequence of their ambition to rule these ports. This Irish dimension in foreign affairs is sometimes underrated, as overkings tended to manage Irish Sea affairs through the agency of Hiberno-Scandinavian fleets which they ruled or hired …

https://www.academia.edu/1763453/Eng...ard=view-paper
    Paper Trail: 43.8% English, 29.7% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German, 6.25% Italian & 1.5% French. Or: 86% British Isles, 6.25% German, 6.25% Italian & 1.5% French.
    LDNA(c): 86.3% British Isles (48.6% English, 37.7% Scottish & Irish), 7.8% NW Germanic, 5.9% Europe South (Aegian 3.4%, Tuscany 1.3%, Sardinia 1.1%)
    BigY 700: I1-Z140 >I-F2642 >Y1966 >Y3649 >A13241 >Y3647 >A13248 (circa 620 AD) >A13242/YSEQ (circa 765 AD) >FT80854 (circa 1650 AD).

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (06-04-2020),  David Mc (06-02-2020),  Dewsloth (06-02-2020),  jdean (06-03-2020),  Jessie (06-03-2020),  JonikW (06-02-2020),  MitchellSince1893 (06-02-2020)