Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: SARS-CoV-2 respiratory failure: risk SNPs, Bloodtype A is a risk, O is protective

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic
    Nationality
    Canadian

Ireland Scotland England France Germany Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by J Man View Post
    According to 23andme my blood type is A+ but my result at rs657152 is AC. Not sure what to make of this then.
    It tells you your blood type?
    Ancestry DNA: Eng/Wales/NW Europe 56%, Ireland/Scotland: 28%, Norway 11%, Germanic Europe 3%, French 2%
    - Communities: SW Quebec French Settlers (Vaudreuil-Solanges, Rivičre ŕ la Graisse, and Outaouais & Laurentides French Settlers) and So. Ontario Settlers (W & Cen. Ontario Settlers)
    Ancestry as I was told: Irish, Scottish, English, French, German

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A9185
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Poland England Ireland Munster
    Quote Originally Posted by Avrowolf View Post
    It tells you your blood type?
    23andMe no longer reports blood type, though it did in the past.
    Editor’s note 7/23/20: Thanks to all our readers for their questions on this post. Please note, 23andMe does not currently offer a report on blood type.
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    O+ here. been exposed several times to people that have it, I've been tested twice since then and don't have it. then again, only about 1% of the population has gotten it and less than 1% have died from it. I like those odds compared to driving your car to the grocery store.
    Last edited by JerryS.; 08-25-2020 at 01:45 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

Frank&Frei (08-25-2020),  pmokeefe (08-25-2020),  Táltos (08-28-2020),  vettor (08-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    O+ here. been exposed several times to people that have it, I've been tested twice since then and don't have it. then again, only about 1% of the population has gotten it and less than 1% have died from it. I like those odds compared to driving your car to the grocery store.
    we have "global panic" with this covid .

the Spanish flu of 1918-1920 killed 55 million worldwide.

globally minded people of today...................is it a blessing or a curse ?

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483 )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-L22 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (09-08-2020),  Frank&Frei (08-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A9185
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    we have "global panic" with this covid .

the Spanish flu of 1918-1920 killed 55 million worldwide.

globally minded people of today...................is it a blessing or a curse ?
    The coronavirus is most deadly if you are older and male — new data reveal the risks
    A slew of detailed studies has now quantified the increased risk the virus poses to older people, men, and other groups.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

vettor (08-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

after uncovering how the CDC in America fudged the coronavirus numbers I am skeptical of anything they put out. if you're in hospice care with one week to live because of cancer and contract corona virus, a week later when you die as initially projected your death will be listed as corona virus. the integrity has fallen because of financial gain if coronavirus test results were positive, even though they were in fact later found to be negative the data was left uncorrected and purported as the truth. we've had several vaccines for many decades and still have the flu which kills millions world wide every year, tens of thousands in America alone, every year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

Frank&Frei (08-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152-L135

Is that not due to influenza viruses mutating frequently, meaning new vaccines are required, leading to us having to constantly play catch-up?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
    Is that not due to influenza viruses mutating frequently, meaning new vaccines are required, leading to us having to constantly play catch-up?
    maybe in part, but its generally the "health care community" trying to guess which strain will be the predominant one and vaccinating for it. still kills millions world wide, but Hockey and Soccer went on anyway.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

Frank&Frei (08-30-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A9185
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Trans-ethnic analysis reveals genetic and non-genetic associations with COVID-19

Trans-ethnic analysis reveals genetic and non-genetic associations with COVID-19 susceptibility and severity

Janie F. Shelton, Anjali J. Shastri, Chelsea Ye, Catherine H. Weldon, Teresa Filshtein-Somnez, Daniella Coker, Antony Symons, Jorge Esparza-Gordillo, The 23andMe COVID-19 Team, Stella Aslibekyan, ProfileAdam Auton

Abstract
    COVID-19 presents with a wide range of severity, from asymptomatic in some individuals to fatal in others. Based on a study of over one million 23andMe research participants, we report genetic and non-genetic associations with testing positive for COVID-19, respiratory symptoms, and hospitalization. Risk factors for hospitalization include advancing age, male sex, elevated body mass index, lower socio-economic status, non-European ancestry, and pre-existing cardio-metabolic and respiratory conditions. Using trans-ethnic genome-wide association studies, we identify a strong association between blood type and COVID-19 diagnosis, as well as a gene-rich locus on chr3p21.31 that is more strongly associated with outcome severity. While non-European ancestry was found to be a significant risk factor for hospitalization after adjusting for socio-demographics and pre-existing health conditions, we did not find evidence that these two primary genetic associations explain differences between populations in terms of risk for severe COVID-19 outcomes.

ABO: In our phenotype contrasting COVID-19 test positive individuals to test negative
    individuals, we identified an association at chr9q34.2, with index SNP rs9411378 (p-value =
    5.3e-20, C allele OR = 0.857; Figure 5).
    For all COVID-19 phenotypes, we found that the O blood group was protective when compared to
    other blood groups, whereas blood groups A, B, and AB did not differ from each other
    chr3p21.31: We identified an association at chr3p21.31, which was shared across all
    phenotypes (Figure 7a; Supplementary Figure 7). The association appeared strongest in our
    phenotypes related to respiratory symptoms, with the lowest p-value observed in the severe
    respiratory symptoms phenotype (index SNP rs13078854, alleles A/G, p-value = 1.6e-18), and
    with a relatively large estimated effect size (G allele OR = 0.592, 95% CI 0.527 - 0.665).

My blood type is AB, I am CA for rs9411378 and GG for rs13078854. Both those SNPs are from my WGS tests, they did not appear on either my Ancestry or 23andMe tests.

In the supplementary information there were additional SNPs with lower significance. One of them was rs2531743 which appeared on my 23andMe test results (but not AncestryDNA) I was AG.

How about you?
    Last edited by pmokeefe; 09-09-2020 at 03:58 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

Mis (09-09-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Quote Originally Posted by pmokeefe View Post
    Trans-ethnic analysis reveals genetic and non-genetic associations with COVID-19 susceptibility and severity

Janie F. Shelton, Anjali J. Shastri, Chelsea Ye, Catherine H. Weldon, Teresa Filshtein-Somnez, Daniella Coker, Antony Symons, Jorge Esparza-Gordillo, The 23andMe COVID-19 Team, Stella Aslibekyan, ProfileAdam Auton

Abstract
    COVID-19 presents with a wide range of severity, from asymptomatic in some individuals to fatal in others. Based on a study of over one million 23andMe research participants, we report genetic and non-genetic associations with testing positive for COVID-19, respiratory symptoms, and hospitalization. Risk factors for hospitalization include advancing age, male sex, elevated body mass index, lower socio-economic status, non-European ancestry, and pre-existing cardio-metabolic and respiratory conditions. Using trans-ethnic genome-wide association studies, we identify a strong association between blood type and COVID-19 diagnosis, as well as a gene-rich locus on chr3p21.31 that is more strongly associated with outcome severity. While non-European ancestry was found to be a significant risk factor for hospitalization after adjusting for socio-demographics and pre-existing health conditions, we did not find evidence that these two primary genetic associations explain differences between populations in terms of risk for severe COVID-19 outcomes.

ABO: In our phenotype contrasting COVID-19 test positive individuals to test negative
    individuals, we identified an association at chr9q34.2, with index SNP rs9411378 (p-value =
    5.3e-20, C allele OR = 0.857; Figure 5).
    For all COVID-19 phenotypes, we found that the O blood group was protective when compared to
    other blood groups, whereas blood groups A, B, and AB did not differ from each other
    chr3p21.31: We identified an association at chr3p21.31, which was shared across all
    phenotypes (Figure 7a; Supplementary Figure 7). The association appeared strongest in our
    phenotypes related to respiratory symptoms, with the lowest p-value observed in the severe
    respiratory symptoms phenotype (index SNP rs13078854, alleles A/G, p-value = 1.6e-18), and
    with a relatively large estimated effect size (G allele OR = 0.592, 95% CI 0.527 - 0.665).

My blood type is AB, I am CA for rs9411378 and GG for rs13078854. Both those SNPs are from my WGS tests, they did not appear on either my Ancestry or 23andMe tests.

In the supplementary information there were additional SNPs with lower significance. One of them was rs2531743 which appeared on my 23andMe test results (but not AncestryDNA) I was AG.

How about you?
    Never done autosomal DNA testing but I am blood type O. Then again, approaching half the population are blood type O in large chunks of western Europe. It falls away to about a third around the old iron curtain. Ireland has by a considerable distance the highest percentage of blood type O in Europe. Certainly its long been suspected that the distribution of blood groups owes something to the history of pathogens and resistance to them.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast