Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: A “Persian” Iran?: Challenging the Aryan Myth and Persian Ethnocentrism

Quote Originally Posted by deuterium_1 View Post
    Almost all North Indian languages have been influenced by the Persian language and likewise in Karnataka where Dakhini Urdu developed under the patronage of the Bahmanid kings thanks to the immigration of Persians to their courts. Perceptions don't match the historical record.

This is accepted in academia so it is quite strange to see resistance to such a suggestion, almost every scholar who deals with Persian manuscripts has visited India at least once due to the presence of Persian manuscripts at libraries at Rampur, Aligarh and Patna (I have visited the latter's Khuda Bakhsh library). Please read this at least:

http://www.iranicaonline.org/article...18th-centuries

The Rakhigarhi paper appears to suggest that to be the case:

Attachment 37906

I have seen it many times though from personal experience, I have attended conferences stressing the commonalities between both cultures with academics around the world presenting papers on the topic. A Persian friend from Karaj who studied with me at Cambridge and is now working at Harvard's Art Museum has looked at Indian manuscripts written in the Persian language and has asked me to help her look for it in Aligarh's libraries, because they have a collection of Persian manuscripts there.

The same can be said for numismatics where the Persian language was used for centuries on Indian coinage, I can provide pictures.
    I see. I stand corrected then. I got love for all ya'll.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (06-05-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bihari, UPite and Bengali
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

India Pakistan United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaYamamoto View Post
    I see. I stand corrected then. I got love for all ya'll.
    This is worth reading too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lion-Lotus-.../dp/0713995823

Nowruz is even celebrated in Kashmir:

https://en.irna.ir/news/82872887/Nor...festive-spirit

They have their own version of the Haft Sin like Iranians do for Nowruz.
    Last edited by deuterium_1; 06-05-2020 at 11:01 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

ThaYamamoto (06-06-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Almost all North Indian languages have been influenced by the Persian language and likewise in Karnataka where Dakhini Urdu developed under the patronage of the Bahmanid kings thanks to the immigration of Persians to their courts. Perceptions don't match the historical record.

This is accepted in academia so it is quite strange to see resistance to such a suggestion, almost every scholar who deals with Persian manuscripts has visited India at least once due to the presence of Persian manuscripts at libraries at Rampur, Aligarh and Patna (I have visited the latter's Khuda Bakhsh library). Please read this at least:

http://www.iranicaonline.org/article...18th-centuries

The Rakhigarhi paper appears to suggest that to be the case:

Attachment 37906

I have seen it many times though from personal experience, I have attended conferences stressing the commonalities between both cultures with academics around the world presenting papers on the topic. A Persian friend from Karaj who studied with me at Cambridge and is now working at Harvard's Art Museum has looked at Indian manuscripts written in the Persian language and has asked me to help her look for it in Aligarh's libraries, because they have a collection of Persian manuscripts there.

The same can be said for numismatics where the Persian language was used for centuries on Indian coinage, I can provide pictures.
    you can use google to find anything , I can find articles on ancient chinese influence on Pakistan

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post
    you can use google to find anything , I can find articles on ancient chinese influence on Pakistan
    Let's try to debate the topic at hand

There is a big warning at the top of this forum for a reason.

I have access to this:

https://www.alumni.cam.ac.uk/benefit...esources/jstor

[ADMIN]

Multiple posts - Created by South Asian users who willfully defied an administrator's message by derailing this discussion with South Asian genetics in a West Asian sociological thread - Have been deleted and infractions have been issued.

Please ensure that you follow the input of a member of staff if they decide to intervene in a thread.

Thanks for your cooperation,
    Forum Reminders - Please remember to:
    Report any problematic content • Adhere to Anthrogenica Hidden Content • Discuss respectfully • Be mindful of sharing user data (both yours and others) • English language only in main forum area • PM 'Moderator' for basic maintenance tasks or information about member suspensions or bans

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (06-16-2020),  Awale (06-06-2020),  deuterium_1 (06-06-2020),  Jatt1 (06-09-2020),  Kulin (06-06-2020),  pegasus (06-06-2020),  Táltos (06-07-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    [ADMIN]

Multiple posts - Created by South Asian users who willfully defied an administrator's message by derailing this discussion with South Asian genetics in a West Asian sociological thread - Have been deleted and infractions have been issued.

Please ensure that you follow the input of a member of staff if they decide to intervene in a thread.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Thank you

Registered Users

Afghanistan Jammu and Kashmir United States of America Canada
    Anyways on topic , this paper serves as a very good primer for understanding Plateau Iranian populations.

https://journals.plos.org/plosgeneti...l.pgen.1008385

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pegasus For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (06-06-2020),  Awale (06-07-2020),  Coldmountains (06-07-2020),  deuterium_1 (06-07-2020),  Jatt1 (06-09-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Anyways on topic , this paper serves as a very good primer for understanding Plateau Iranian populations.

https://journals.plos.org/plosgeneti...l.pgen.1008385
    Are Iranians in the Northwest more Caucasus shifted while Iranians in Razavi Khorasan are more Afghan/Central Asian shifted?.

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA (M)
    H28/H1b5 (Wife)

Are Iranians in the Northwest more Caucasus shifted while Iranians in Razavi Khorasan are more Afghan/Central Asian shifted?.
    Iranians from Khorasan are overall closer to Iranians from Fars and Central Iran (Around 50-60% West Iranic IA-like) but shifted towards South Pashtuns and Yaghnobi/Pamiri. Still many in Khorasan and Mashad have recent ancestry from places like Herat and are probably slightly more eastern shifted.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Coldmountains For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (06-16-2020),  Awale (06-07-2020),  deuterium_1 (06-07-2020),  Jatt1 (06-09-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (06-09-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

Quote Originally Posted by Coldmountains View Post
    Iranians from Khorasan are overall closer to Iranians from Fars and Central Iran but shifted towards South Pashtuns and Yaghnobi/Pamiri. Still many in Khorasan and Mashad have recent ancestry from places like Herat and are probably slightly more eastern shifted.
    It fits in with the historical record as Iranians in the north-east did travel, trade and migrate to cities such as Herat which is quite Persianised today according to friends who have visited there for academic research.

I know there have been Herati samples posted in this forum, it would be interesting to compare them with Mashhadis for example.

As DMXX alluded to, it was this same region which was the birthplace of the Persian revival after the Arab conquests.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast