Thread: New Study Finds South Italians more "West Asian-like" Than European

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Sex

Islamic Conference

New Study Finds South Italians more "West Asian-like" Than European

Among other things, the study found that south Italians, especially Sicilians, are 30% Near Eastern and 27% "Caucuses-like." The authors of the study put it this way: " Southern Italians were found to present genetic affinity with populations from the Eastern Mediterranean and particularly from Crete, Cyprus, and the Anatolian/Dodecanese islands, with people from Sicily also showing increased proportion of ancestry components likely introduced during the Arab [and Byzantine] occupation[s] of the island."

The study also found that a "Caucasus-like" element forms the genetic "background" of all south Italians, and that differential admixture events took place subsequently thereafter, and not the other way around.

Finally, the authors illustrate a "genetic split" between a Northern Italian cluster and a Southern Italian cluster, with the southern Italian cluster being more "Crete-like" and "Cyprus-like" and the Northern Italian cluster being more "Iberian-like" and "Central Balkan-like". Common between the two clusters is a shared "Sardinia-like" component, which is 43% for South Italians and 48% for North Italians.

In essence, south Italians are a genetic nexus between the Middle East and Europe.

Link to the article: https://bmcbiol.biomedcentral.com/ar...rIkdnGjT8#Abs1

Caveat: I am more versed in the history side of things than I am in the scientific side of things. In other words, I do not know the discourse-specific language that commonly underscores articles like the one I attached above. My analyis is written in plain English and understood from an "outsiders" perspective.

Last edited by G25Hero; 06-05-2020 at 06:51 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G25Hero For This Useful Post:

bitterfruit609 (05-25-2021),  Cascio (10-17-2020),  okarinaofsteiner (06-13-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Berber
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M81 > CTS12227
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1k

Morocco MoroccoPreColonial

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Sex

Islamic Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamm View Post
    Can you please provide some clarity? Of course, a variety of interpretations exist regarding Sicilian DNA, of which you have shared only one. Thank you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to G25Hero For This Useful Post:

Cascio (01-10-2021)