Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If a european lacks a strong result from Eurogenes, what calculator to use?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

What's g25?
    What's the difference between K13, and K15 / G25? If you think they'll show any meaningful differences (or if there's one you find to be more accurate that you can recommend to me and make a map for?) I'm happy to donate.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kaikavian Croatian
    Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1a2b-A815
    mtDNA (M)
    HV0-T195C!

Croatia Austrian Empire European Union
    Everyone of them is resonably accurate. G25 is best for comparison with ancient samples, but you cannot get it now (eurogenes.blogspot.com)

All simple calculations, maps and plots I make for free, but for more complicated maps and calculations I ask for a donation via Hidden Content PayPalHidden Content account

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Piquerobi View Post
    It was a surprise to me too when DNA testing began. I did not expect Ashkenazi Jews had so little to do, genetically, with Germany and Eastern Europe, the places they have mostly dwelled in the last 1000 years. Significant ancestry from the Levant has been definitively proven.
    Ha, glad I'm not the only one who's surprised! But in retrospect it does make sense, as I know many Jews didn't or sometimes weren't even allowed to intermarry for long stretches of time. So while there's some mixture, it makes sense some ME remains. I just wish I had a sense of how much. It frustrates me not to have a clear sense of how much of each heritage I have.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to StrandsofHistory For This Useful Post:

Piquerobi (06-09-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ter View Post
    Everyone of them is resonably accurate. G25 is best for comparison with ancient samples, but you cannot get it now (eurogenes.blogspot.com)
    Ancient samples?

I'm mainly just trying to figure out how middle/near eastern I am and maybe from which middle/near eastern areas. Just let me know which calculator/map is best for that and how much of a donation you'd like (and through what method to send it)?

Also, how come it's unavailable? Does that mean it is permanently gone?

Registered Users
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil
    How much is still open to debate. There are many interesting posts and threads about it here. On Gedmatch I have seen Ashkenazi Jews being modelled as around 60% Lebanese or 60% Samaritan quite a few times.
    Last edited by Piquerobi; 06-09-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

How much is still open to debate. There are many interesting posts and threads about it here. On Gedmatch I have seen Ashkenazi Jews being modelled as around 60% Lebanese or 60% Samaritan quite a few times.
    Is there any way for me to get even a rough sense from my own results, how much I am? Or a guide for like the error range of the admix results? (Like... are they 90% accurate? Or only 75%? Less?)

Registered Users
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by StrandsofHistory View Post
    Is there any way for me to get even a rough sense from my own results, how much I am? Or a guide for like the error range of the admix results? (Like... are they 90% accurate? Or only 75%? Less?)
    I think you should try all the calculators and compare the results. As I said there are many interesting posts on this forum. The last study for example seemed to suggest the Ancient Aegean component was already present in the Levant even before Jews came into being.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piquerobi For This Useful Post:

passenger (06-09-2020),  StrandsofHistory (06-09-2020)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Does anyone have a sense of how to get a reasonably accurate idea of how middle/near eastern we are? Like it'd be very different to learn we're, say, 1/16th vs like 1/4th or more.
    Or to narrow down places of heritage, recent or distant? I just wish I could point to a map and say that some of my family come from X location, give or take ~100 miles or something.
    John Doe gave you some ballpark figures (see above) for Ashkenazim, which might be helpful. It really depends what you mean by "Middle Eastern", though. Different calculators will give you different estimates because they have different reference populations and also look at different points in time (e.g. what's "Middle Eastern" 5000 years ago isn't necessarily the same as 2000 years ago). I think you fit into the Ashkenazi average though, so I would look at what's been said about Ashkenazim as a whole to understand how much MENA and European ancestry you have and where it comes from. Like most Ashkenazim, the biggest percentage of your Euro ancestry is probably Southern European acquired mainly during Classical Antiquity, with a smaller percentage coming from Western and Eastern Europe in the Medieval-Modern disapora. I'm not positive, but it looks like you have a relatively high proportion of "North Atlantic" vs. "Baltic" in K13, which might be related to the fact that you have a considerable amount of Western Ashkenazi vs. Eastern Ashkenazi ancestry, but that's just a hunch.

If I were you, I'd look more closely at your cousin matches on 23andme, GEDmatch, and whatever other services you've tested with or are planning to test with. If you look at your top matches, especially the ones with particularly long shared segments (rather than a bunch of small segments), you might be able to put together a rough picture of where some of your recent ancestors came from. Has anyone else in your family taken an ancestry test?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

John Doe (06-10-2020),  Piquerobi (06-09-2020),  StrandsofHistory (06-10-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Ancient samples?

I'm mainly just trying to figure out how middle/near eastern I am and maybe from which middle/near eastern areas. Just let me know which calculator/map is best for that and how much of a donation you'd like (and through what method to send it)?

Also, how come it's unavailable? Does that mean it is permanently gone?
    I think it should be back July, whatever the wait totally worth it and one of your better options for now with analysing your own ancestral DNA.

The reaction of Jews to their results is sometimes a laugh, sorry! . My sephardic mum was also surprised to see just 3.4 percent Spanish and Portuguese at 23andme. She just assumed she was iberian DNA wise lol. DNA results would be a rude shock for a White or European supremacist of Jewish background (not at all saying you are!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabass For This Useful Post:

Piquerobi (06-09-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I think you should try all the calculators and compare the results. As I said there are many interesting posts on this forum. The last study for example seemed to suggest the Ancient Aegean component was already present in the Levant even before Jews came into being.
    Thanks for the help! That's great advice.
    When you say compare - what am I looking for? With oracle I believe it's the 'lowest' number - with admixes, what's the thing to look for?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to StrandsofHistory For This Useful Post:

Piquerobi (06-09-2020)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast