Thread: influence of environment in genetic

Registered Users
    Sex

influence of environment in genetic

can migration between a country to another change the genetic of a population ?

I don't know a lot about genetics and I am curious about this subject because this is my case :

I am a sunni muslim from indo-pakistani backgroung (my forefathers had migrated to east africa in 1860 from actual pakistan, long time before partition)

In east africa, we lived for 160 years with conditions pretty much different than in pakistan : climate, african food ( my family eat a lot of meat, beef, lamb, milk and local product), sport (my forefathers pratrice african wrestling and I do boxing), etc

we have lived in condition pretty much different than an average pakistani or indian muslim in 1850 during these 160 years, our culture changed a lot (language and customs),

but is it possible that the genetics change because of environment / way of life ?

and if not, can the environment change during 160 years affect our phenotype through genes expression ?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Short answer... no.
    Medium answer (don't quote me on this): Lifestyle will not change your genetics, but can change your epigenetics, which is which genes are turned on and off and when. I think epigenetics can be passed on to some degree also?
    Crazy answer I heard somewhere: Genetics can be slightly contagious in that foreign cells from other people can be incorporated into your own body in ridiculously small quantities?
    Collection of 14,000 d-stats: Hidden Content Part 2: Hidden Content Part 3: Hidden Content PM me for d-stats, qpadm, qpgraph, or f3-outgroup nmonte models.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland
    no. culture can change with relocation, genetics on their own do not.

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    I think epigenetics can be passed on to some degree also?
    Correct.

There's enough data from family studies and lifestyle intervention studies showing changes in methylation status f.ex. can affect the production of certain organic (signalling) peptides, hormones or receptors.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

Kale (06-12-2020),  Kapisa (10-07-2020),  Ruderico (06-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S1954
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-P58
    mtDNA (P)
    H4a

Canada Acadia Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Basque Canada Quebec United States Zuni Pueblo
    Well, when people migrate, it’s not everyone in the old population, so this can cause some genetic divergence.

French-Canadians are very genetically distinct from people in France for this reason.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Souriquois For This Useful Post:

jstephan (06-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y13432

France
    Quote Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
    Well, when people migrate, it’s not everyone in the old population, so this can cause some genetic divergence.

French-Canadians are very genetically distinct from people in France for this reason.
    They are still very close to the French average though but they have their own pattern I believe, surely because the number of original migrants was rather small and from very specific regions that were genetically quite different from each other, so it may have created some kind of bottleneck. French people generally either drift one way or the other depending on where they are from, French Canadians seem to drift in all directions.

Look at these averages based on 53 K15 samples results :https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....883#post676942
    Last edited by jstephan; 06-17-2020 at 06:28 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jstephan For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (06-17-2020),  Souriquois (06-17-2020),  Titane (07-25-2020),  Tomenable (01-30-2021)