Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian+Jewish traces
    Nationality
    Spanish

Andalucia Spain Star of David Israel Jerusalem
    Quote Originally Posted by BalkanKiwi View Post
    Given your ancestry it wouldn't be surprising. Please see this article as a place to start. There may be more recent papers relating to Spain out there, but I don't have the time currently to look for them.

https://journals.plos.org/plosgeneti...l.pgen.1001373
    Thanks for this link!!

In this article says that in Roman Empire there was a gene flow of subsaharian population, so it's possible I could have an ancestor of this period; Gibraltar Strait in roman period was a exchange point between iberian and north african-subsaharian populations, where commerce was succesful and flourishing. Also here is mentioned arab conquest and al-Andalus period, it's perfectly possible for me a potential medieval subsaharian ancestor, there were documented subsahararian population as eunuchs, soldiers, mercenaries and other proffesions.
    Last edited by rober_tce; 08-26-2020 at 01:46 AM.
    23andMe: 99.4% Spanish & Portuguese, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 0.3% Trace Ancestry (0.3% Nigerian)

My Heritage: 91.5% Iberian, 3.6% Ashkenazi Jewish, 2.7% Middle East, 2.2% Irish, Sccotish and Welsh

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David Ireland Scotland Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by rober_tce View Post
    Thanks for this link!!

In this article says that in Roman Empire there was a gene flow of subsaharian population, so it's possible I could have an ancestor of this period; Gibraltar Strait in roman period was a exchange point between iberian and north african-subsaharian populations, where commerce was succesful and flourishing. Also here is mentioned arab conquest and al-Andalus period, it's perfectly possible for me a potential medieval subsaharian ancestor, there were documented subsahararian population as eunuchs, soldiers, mercenaries and other proffesions.
    You're welcome. You may also find something useful in my thread here regarding trace SSA. If you were to model your G25 coordinates, I'd expect you'd get more SSA than my father, especially as seeing a commercial test already picks it up for you.

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....aharan-African
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

rober_tce (08-26-2020),  Táltos (08-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Somali/Afro-Bermudian

Bermuda Somaliland Ethiopia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus191 View Post
    At 0.2% it is probably much further back than the Italian-Ethopian occupation. There were African slaves used as house slaves quite often in Italy, less often in more northern Europe states, but not unheard of. Say a African slave may have had a child with a white servant woman and then the child was brought up by her family, or abandoned to an orphanage. Or conversely a female African slave may have a child with the master of the household, or one of the sons. It was not unheard of for male slaves to impregnate the females of the household of course, but less common than the other scenarios. In Italy children of a slave and the master of the household could sometimes inherit the master's status.
    I've never heard of the ancestors of most modern day Ethiopian & Eritrean populations being enslaved (besides some ethnic groups involved in the Arab slave trade), and I certainly wouldn't have expected an enslaved person from these countries to end up in Italy or anywhere in Europe. Do you have any information on, presumably from the results, Afroasiatic peoples being enslaved in Europe? I know that this was the case for many peoples from west, central and some parts of southern and east Africa, but I have yet to come across anything tying to populations from the Horn.
    Ethiopia has had a long history with Europe in trade, and an interesting relationship with parts of medieval Europe, particularly Portugal and perhaps Italy due to their Christianity (with the "Prester John" king), so I'm not sure I'd automatically assume that some old ancestry from the area must correspond to slavery; in fact, it would seem a little weird to me.
    Last edited by Atlas; 08-26-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123