Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are the genetic ancestors of French Canadians and the western French population?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwest + East European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PF4135
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA (P)
    H1h

England Ireland Canada Quebec Normandie Poland Wales

Who are the genetic ancestors of French Canadians and the western French population?

Most French Canadians came from the northwest areas of France, mostly from Normandy, Paris, and Poitou.

https://www.erudit.org/fr/revues/cgq...2/021058ar.pdf
    http://www.axl.cefan.ulaval.ca/franc...peuplement.htm

However, French Canadians typically match French average (central French) and some have claimed that French Canadians and western French have a strong Iberian component, likely from Aquitanians. This has me confused since the areas where French Canadians and northwestern French come from were Gaulish areas, not Aquitanian. So sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but why do French Canadians and western French have a strong Iberian component and were their ancestors Gauls or Aquitanians?

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....ther-A-Godbout
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...match-averages

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas Spence For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y13432

France
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Spence View Post
    Most French Canadians came from the northwest areas of France, mostly from Normandy, Paris, and Poitou.

https://www.erudit.org/fr/revues/cgq...2/021058ar.pdf
    http://www.axl.cefan.ulaval.ca/franc...peuplement.htm

However, French Canadians typically match French average (central French) and some have claimed that French Canadians and western French have a strong Iberian component, likely from Aquitanians. This has me confused since the areas where French Canadians and northwestern French come from were Gaulish areas, not Aquitanian. So sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but why do French Canadians and western French have a strong Iberian component and were their ancestors Gauls or Aquitanians?

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....ther-A-Godbout
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...match-averages

All the Western coast of France has connection with both Spain and Britain. Natives south of the loire generally have a strongher connection with Spain and the ones north of the loire with Britain. Gauls were very heterogeneous, northern ones were close to ancient Britons, southern ones to celtiberians this is something we learned from a recent study but that was already predictable. Poitou charente is located just above the ancient Aquitania and most certainly also had a strongher connection with Spain in ancient times , and I think that connection between French Canadians and Iberians most certainlyccame through the migrants from poitou charente and not the ones from Normandy. There are a few French Canadians members here that will certainly help you more than me in regards to your question. My little knowledge is based on the few samples and studies I saw for western France. From what I heard, and as you said, most French Canadians are a mix of various French regions, mainly Poitou-Charentes, Normandy, Loire-Atlantique and Paris area.
    Last edited by jstephan; 06-17-2020 at 02:45 AM.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jstephan For This Useful Post:

Helgenes50 (06-17-2020),  JMcB (06-17-2020),  Ruderico (06-17-2020),  Ryukendo (07-25-2020),  Stefanie (06-17-2020),  Thomas Spence (06-17-2020),  timberwolf (06-17-2020),  Tolan (06-17-2020),  Webb (06-18-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Breton & Maineau
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY145002 (DF13+)
    mtDNA (M)
    U4c1a

France France Bretagne
    We can also think that "Paris" was a city which attracted French from almost everywhere, and that the average position corresponded perhaps in the center of France.
    In addition, immigrants from Normandy were largely inland, and looked more like a classic Gallic than the Coast Normans, who were the descendants of the many navigators who sailed along the coast over the centuries.

In the end, it seems pretty logical to me that French Canadians are more like the French average, rather than a particular region of France ...
    Y haplogroup: R1b: L21 --> DF13 --> BY145002
    The oldest L21 known are I2457 et I2565 from Stonehenge (Beaker Culture, 2400-1900 BC)

MTDNA: U4c1
    The oldest U4c1 known are "poz224", Yamnaya culture (2882-2698 BC), and 2 Bell-Beaker in Germany (Karsdorf, 2314-2042 BC)

Paternal MTDNA: K1b2b
    The oldest K1b2 are Eastern European Mesolithic: Kunda Donkalnis5 (Lithuania), 6000 BC and Meso-Ene Lepenski Vir Lepe28 in Serbia, 5900 BC.
    The oldest K1b2b is Alt-3, Corded-Ware Germany (2500 BC)

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tolan For This Useful Post:

Cascio (06-18-2020),  Helgenes50 (06-17-2020),  JMcB (06-17-2020),  jstephan (06-17-2020),  Kopfjäger (06-18-2020),  Thomas Spence (06-17-2020),  Titane (07-25-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Breton & Maineau
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY145002 (DF13+)
    mtDNA (M)
    U4c1a

France France Bretagne
    However, I have a question:
    Are there Canadians today who can be 100% of French origin?
    Y haplogroup: R1b: L21 --> DF13 --> BY145002
    The oldest L21 known are I2457 et I2565 from Stonehenge (Beaker Culture, 2400-1900 BC)

MTDNA: U4c1
    The oldest U4c1 known are "poz224", Yamnaya culture (2882-2698 BC), and 2 Bell-Beaker in Germany (Karsdorf, 2314-2042 BC)

Paternal MTDNA: K1b2b
    The oldest K1b2 are Eastern European Mesolithic: Kunda Donkalnis5 (Lithuania), 6000 BC and Meso-Ene Lepenski Vir Lepe28 in Serbia, 5900 BC.
    The oldest K1b2b is Alt-3, Corded-Ware Germany (2500 BC)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tolan For This Useful Post:

Helgenes50 (06-17-2020),  JMcB (06-17-2020),  jstephan (06-17-2020),  timberwolf (06-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y13432

France
    If you are interested, someone from the forum made an average for French Canadians based on 53 samples and K15 results, it gives a broad idea. Bear in mind some of them may have a bit of British or Italian ancestry as it's quite common in Quebec.

Quebec.png
    Last edited by jstephan; 06-17-2020 at 12:11 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jstephan For This Useful Post:

Marmaduke (06-17-2020),  Thomas Spence (06-17-2020),  Tolan (06-18-2020)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PF4135
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA (P)
    H1h

Quote Originally Posted by jstephan View Post
    All the Western coast of France has connection with both Spain and Britain. Natives south of the loire generally have a strongher connection with Spain and the ones north of the loire with Britain. Gauls were very heterogeneous, northern ones were close to ancient Britons, southern ones to celtiberians this is something we learned from a recent study but that was already predictable. Poitou charente is located just above the ancient Aquitania and most certainly also had a strongher connection with Spain in ancient times , and I think that connection between French Canadians and Iberians most certainlyccame through the migrants from poitou charente and not the ones from Normandy. There are a few French Canadians members here that will certainly help you more than me in regards to your question. My little knowledge is based on the few samples and studies I saw for western France. From what I heard, and as you said, most French Canadians are a mix of various French regions, mainly Poitou-Charentes, Normandy, Loire-Atlantique and Paris area.
    Oh, so French Canadians do descend from Gauls, it’s just that the Gauls from below the Loire had a stronger shift towards Iberia. Do we know why Gauls from the south of the Loire have a southern shift? Could this be intermingling with Aquitanians in Gascony? I think I remember one account proposed that Aquitanian-descended people repopulated Poitou-Charente after the Roman Empire fell. How credible is this theory? BTW, you’re answer was very great, thank you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas Spence For This Useful Post:

jstephan (06-17-2020)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PF4135
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA (P)
    H1h

Quote Originally Posted by Tolan View Post
    However, I have a question:
    Are there Canadians today who can be 100% of French origin?
    One study found that French Canadians were on average 90% French in origin. There might be some French Canadians that could be 100% or close to that, but they’re probably very small and likely found in the rural areas. I’m not that familiar with Quebec so maybe some French Canadian users could correct me if I’m wrong.

Here’s the study: https://www.discovermagazine.com/the...ench-canadians

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Spence For This Useful Post:

jstephan (06-17-2020),  Tolan (06-18-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y13432

France
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Spence View Post
    Oh, so French Canadians do descend from Gauls, it’s just that the Gauls from below the Loire had a stronger shift towards Iberia. Do we know why Gauls from the south of the Loire have a southern shift? Could this be intermingling with Aquitanians in Gascony? I think I remember one account proposed that Aquitanian-descended people repopulated Poitou-Charente after the Roman Empire fell. How credible is this theory? BTW, you’re answer was very great, thank you.
    More or less I believe so yes. I am not an expert about ancient Aquitanians at all, I just know from a few samples I saw that modern people from Poitou Charente seem to have a stronger shift towards Spain than Britain. Maybe some other people here can help you with your question about ancient Aquitanians.
    Last edited by jstephan; 06-17-2020 at 04:34 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jstephan For This Useful Post:

Thomas Spence (06-17-2020)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PF4135
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA (P)
    H1h

Quote Originally Posted by jstephan View Post
    More or less I believe so yes. I am not an expert about ancient Aquitanians at all, I just know from a few samples I saw that modern people from Poitou Charente seem to have a stronger shift towards Spain than Britain. Maybe some other people here can help you with your question about ancient Aquitanians.
    Thanks man. Do you know how I can view the recent study on the French? It’s behind a paywall.

BTW, looking at the 2019 study on the current French population, it looks like the Poitou-Charente population is a mix between a Iberian-like and British & Irish-like populations.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/712497v1.full

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PF4135
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA (P)
    H1h

Also, I think my French Canadian side is a little bit weird since of my French Canadian ancestors about 60% came from above the Loire (mostly Normandy and Paris), but from other French Canadian trees I’ve seen, just a little over half came from Poitou.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast